Menu

Your favorite curriculums/websites that were worth every penny.

borninthesouth

I know that this has been thoroughly discussed but I wanted to get insight into other wonderful curriculums or websites that I have missed out on.  I was doing some Spanish work with my kids today and thinking I love the Rockalingua website.  My kids were singing entire Spanish sentences.  Their accents were good!   I am going to have to get a new subscription.  This website has been a gem for us.  Mind you, I can help them because I speak Spanish, but I think it would still be a good add-on for most homeschoolers hoping to get their kids to speak some Spanish.  We have also loved Beast Academy!!  We are not a math family.  I have loved, however, learning the problem-solving math in Beast Academy with my kids.  It has brought more confidence to both my younger kids in math.  There have been some tricks that I have taught my older kids also.  My oldest daughter has needed to hear a native Spanish speaker for her Spanish class and we found that very reasonably priced on italki.com.  There are tutors for all ages and languages on the site, so we can also find a tutor for my younger girls when we need too.  Some of my other favorites are Wordly Wise and anything by Royal Fireworks Press.  

What are your favorites?  What should I go check on the internet??  

• Like 2

All About Reading has changed my child’s life. His reading has improved dramatically and so has his confidence.  This is a child who has multiple learning challenges who is enjoying reading on his own for the first time at 10 years old.  I wish I had found this program years ago.

• Like 5

I don't know how many here would use it but Practice Monkeys has been amazing in our house.  It's an online, 4x a week/15 min a day Suzuki violin teacher.  We're doing the recorded classes (so we're a week "behind" the regular class for our level) and still have access to the live help classes and live teacher for the assessment.  Everything is broken down to the tiniest step and it's easy to follow along and understand - even for me, who has spent years being practically tone deaf and feeling like an idiot when it comes to instruments.

• Like 3

All About Reading and All About Spelling.  We've tweaked them to work for each of the kids and it's made it well worth the money.  If we were to lose everything, that's one program I'd definitely replace.  My youngest also gets a lot of use out of the Math U See blocks, even though the program itself didn't work for us - I didn't pay for the blocks, however, I had them given to me. I'm not sure I'd pay new price for them.  Their decimal street is also genius. BJU elementary math is another favorite here.  I bought the workbooks before they started updating everything again, so at least I can reuse the TG for youngest.  They are pricey!

• Like 2

Logic of English Foundations B and C got my kid over the hump into reading solidly, and he liked the physical activity. (Essentials did not get him spelling well, sadly. Neither did Wheeler's, nor Spelling You See, nor do I have high hopes for Steck-Vaughn. Current goal: Not Terrible/Able to Use Spell Check.)

We are less than a month into Visualize World Geography (bought used on CD since I didn't want something online) and it's awesomesauce with a cherry on top. Like, after four weeks, my 5th-grader, who previously only knew Egypt and South Africa, can identify pretty much every country in Africa. (We'll finish the continent next week.) Maybe I wouldn't be so impressed if I'd had any decent non-US geography instruction anywhere, preK through college, lol. He's a social studies fan who really enjoyed Story of the World 1-4, so ymmv.

We've liked pretty much all the maths! Miquon, Singapore, Beast... I went back to Singapore this year to focus on computation, but bought DS the BA guides for fun.

• Like 2

Yeah Logic of English has been worth every penny, and has turned my daughter into an amazing reader, and a pretty decent speller. It has changed my viewpoints immensely on how to learn to read. 

Another curriculum that has been worth every penny is Elemental Science so far. My girls just love the projects, mini-crafts, experiments, and the books needed with it. (I ordered PDF of the coloring pages. I wouldn't say they are that well drawn, but they love coloring it and since coloring helps build up hand strength ...) 

Uzzingo was awesome for my DD, who needed higher science content to provide a spine for her independent work, but wasn’t ready for a full high school program yet. She did all three middle school units in under a year, and completed all of high school in a year and a half-which then gave her the background to dive more into the science she wanted to do.

AoPS PA and Beginning Algebra. Talk about a firm foundation! 

Hoffman Academy. The videos are quality and short enough that my youngest children have no problem doing it. My girls are getting good enough that they are starting to play the piano for fun, and Mr. Hoffman is the only teacher they've ever had. Their grasp of theory is far superior to mine and I took years of mediocre lessons from various ladies at church as a kid. 

Prodigy has been huge for my girls, especially my math-hating dd. She loves the game and willingly plays it every day. But all 3 of my big girls play it almost daily. 

Xtramath has been a painless daily math facts staple for us. They do it every school day. No one loves it but it is short enough that they don't complain. And it sure beats me doing flashcards. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MeaganS said:

Hoffman Academy. The videos are quality and short enough that my youngest children have no problem doing it. My girls are getting good enough that they are starting to play the piano for fun, and Mr. Hoffman is the only teacher they've ever had. Their grasp of theory is far superior to mine and I took years of mediocre lessons from various ladies at church as a kid. 

Hoffman Academy has been one of the best investments for us too!  You're right about the music theory. It's top-notch, and the comprehensive instruction is better than we would get from any "in-person" teacher. (We've already gone through 3 of them)

• Like 1