Menu

Holt Biology and the SAT subject test?

I've looked at the College Board website, but I'm still a little unclear. Is Human Biology on the test?

I know there is too much to cover in one year (with most any Biology book), so I'd like to cover the unit on Human Biology with Health or Anatomy. I'm just not sure if we can wait and do that after the test or before. If it's before, I want to do it yet this year or maybe next summer.

She had a pass through Campbell's Exploring Life and the Hoagland book, so I think we'll drop the Ecology Unit and go through the Evolution Unit fairly quickly.

4 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

I've looked at the College Board website, but I'm still a little unclear. Is Human Biology on the test?

My kids are undecided if they want to attempt the SAT Biology exam so no BTDT. However we find the CollegeBoard’s book (borrow from library, or browse at Barnes & Noble) useful for gauging how much prep we might need.

The Official SAT Subject Test in Biology Study Guide (College Board Official SAT Study Guide) https://www.amazon.com/Official-Subject-Biology-Study-College/dp/1457309203

Going by Barrons test prep book, human biology is covered but not in depth. I would just borrow a copy from the library and look through. You won’t need the latest edition since there were no changes in what is tested.

”ORGANISMAL BIOLOGY 

13 Plants 

14 Animal Physiology 

15 Human Physiology 

16 Reproduction and Development 

17 The Human Immune System 

18 Animal Behavior 

19 Ecology” https://barronseduc.com/1438009607.html

DS12 who used the Miller Levine Macaw textbook could guess his way through the CollegeBoard book. 

55 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

DS12 who used the Miller Levine Macaw textbook could guess his way through the CollegeBoard book. 

This is what gives me pause. She's already done so much biology... I feel like there would be a more interesting way to cover it and prep for the subject test (which she should take for various reasons). Maybe I should have her pretest each chapter to see if I can free up more time for interesting stuff from the MIT OCW material.

Edited by MamaSprout
mega run-on sentence

11 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

This is what gives me pause. She's already done so much biology... I feel like there would be a more interesting way to cover it and prep for the subject test (which she should take for various reasons). 

Could you let her try one of the test from CollegeBoard book? If you have the gigantic SAT subject test book (https://www.amazon.com/Official-Study-Guide-Subject-Tests/dp/0874479754/) you can use that too. Having gone through the math 2, Physics and Chemistry subject tests with DS13, math 2 and Physics with DS12, it’s more test prep than anything else once you have the domain knowledge. 

I would be tempted to spend two weeks prior to test date on test prep in your case and have fun using the MIT OCW material for the entire academic year. 

• Thanks 1