Menu

Teaching Textbooks has some new fans! Yay for 3.0

So she is only a few lessons into the Geometry but had done several chapters of Pre-Calc as well.  I've skimmed the entire first chapter and I really love this program.  I don't know if it moves fast enough for ambitious math students, but I love the way it builds so clearly on itself and actually explains things!  I wish that I had learned Geometry with TT.  My teacher never really explained anything and just rushed right through the basics and into proofs and I never really got the point that this was an exercise in logical thinking.  I never knew the reasoning or history behind it at all.  Teaching textbooks spends an entire chapter going through the history of logical reasoning - inductive vs deductive, and the history of the Greeks as it pertains to Geometry.  

I waited several years for them to do an Internet version, as we haven't had CD rom drives in our house for many years, and I am so glad they came out with the 3.0.  

We are still going to have her go to a tutor every Friday to go over questions and weak areas, but I cannot say enough wonderful things about TT.  Please consider it if you're not happy with your current math program.  

• Like 3

It's been good here, too. We started the year with 3.0 but we went back to 2.0 because I found a like new set for only a bit more than the cost of a subscription, and then younger siblings can reuse it. But I envision using 3.0 in future because my youngest son is an audio learner and I imagine when he gets to algebra, he'll appreciate it. This is the first year I'm not really involved in my oldest son's math. I don't even have to mark it! And I also think this will be the only way he gets through algebra 2 because I don't know it well enough to help. We're fans here as well!

• Like 2

It's all the same content but we haven't had a CD drive in our house in five  seven years.  I mean, we kind of have a CD drive in a drawer somewhere that is supposed to hook up through a USB drive but...no one is sure about it's mysterious use...or its location....

So TT was mostly inaccessible to us until now ?

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 1

The further my son gets into Alg. 2, the more positive feedback he gives me. He can spend up to 1.5 hours on math and it's no big deal (this is a first for him). He told me that if he was doing this course out of just a book, it would be going very badly. Something about the animated lecture and doing it on the computer is REALLY helping him. It makes me think I should have switched to this way sooner. Anyway... just more TT happiness over here. ?

• Like 1

? We switched to TT last year.  Younger DD did Geometry and is doing Algebra II now.  She really likes Teaching Textbooks, and we plan to stick with it long-term.

We do use the 2.0 version though.  I had signed up for 3.0, but I switched to 2.0 when there were immediately problems with logging in to the program for several days.  

• Like 1