Menu

Writing expectations for 5th grade

neicymath

My 10 yo daughter has completed WWE 1 - 3 and we've just started WWS 1 in 5th grade. We're planning to take it slow and complete it by the end of 6th grade. Her friend is enrolled in the local classical school and, based on comments the friend has made, I think she does more writing than my child. So I am wondering what type of writing expectations I should have for my daughter at this age, beyond working through a formal writing program. Should we be writing history or science narratives? Book reports? Informational, persuasive or how - to paragraphs? Creative writing? How frequently?

• 1 month later...

I know it’s been a while since you posted, but I saw you had no replies & thought I’d chime in.

For 5th grade, I’d expect to see written work of various styles across the curriculum. This should include nonfiction (informational) writing, persuasive (opinion) writing, and narrative (creative) writing. I would want to see clear, descriptive sentences grouped into cohesive paragraphs. For a larger project, such as a research report, several independent paragraphs - but not necessarily an essay. On these larger projects I would also want my student to practice using the writing process: brainstorm, revise, edit, produce a final draft. Writing should take place in some form daily, with larger projects once a month or so. 

• 4 weeks later...

My 5th-grade daughter writes throughout the curriculum plus an official composition program.

Just to give you an idea of what she does in a typical week:   She completes all of the literature, history, and Christian Study "workbooks" from the Memoria Press core programs for this grade level. (I put "workbooks" in quotes because they aren't really workbooks in the modern sense of the word.   They are more guided "Classical-Mason" written narration questions that go a beyond "retell or summarize the story".  Plus guided vocabulary study with some enrichment/geography pulled in.   I like them because we had spent YEARS summarizing and retelling, and I needed more in the way of narration without thinking up all of the questions myself.   

I think they REALLY help with writing skills, and I like them because they can be done mostly independently.  (We just meet to edit, correct, and discuss her responses.)   The "workbooks" also contain an enrichment portion which sometimes contains copy work or dictation from the books.  (Sometimes just other things too.)    (Lit "workbook" narrations happen every other day...about 5 short responses.   History and Christian Study "workbook" narrations happen about once per week each.   The program also contains tests which include a lot of written short answers and essays.   (We edit and correct everything she writes across the curriculum which really helps her improve.)  She also completes the Memoria Press poetry program that includes a lot of copy work, illustration, and written narration/essay responses.  And come of think of it, they have them writing in American / Modern subjects too...which at this age is geography.  The writing portion happens about once per week in that subject.  :)    (I do not have her writing much in science this year because she is learning electronics and coding mostly through hands-on projects.  However, in the summer she completes the Memoria Press nature study type science which has writing/narration too.

She also completes a spelling program that gives 4 sentences in dictation per day (sometimes in paragraph form).   She also completes a copybook entry as part of their core program.  (Usually some type of quote or scripture that is copied in their best handwriting.)   She copies over an edited sentence or two (daily) in IEW Fix-It.  She also does a bit of copywork/dictation in Memoria Press's English Grammar Recitation.  

On top of that, she completes an IEW theme-based program which has her write about one paper per week.  The program starts out pretty easy with outlining and paragrams.   It eventually advances to research reports and literature response papers.   She starts a new assignment on Monday learning whatever the new skill or writing type is for that week.   Then she writes and edits the paper Tuesday-Friday.  Her final draft is turned in on Friday.   She "polishes" previously turned in final drafts too making any suggestions or changes I suggest.  (Research papers are broken into smaller bites, and she might complete a portion of the paper each week.)

She also is a member of a competitive speech and debate team.   At her age, she is required to write one informative speech (with 5-6 sources) plus an edited literature interpretation per year.   The rest of the time, they work on impromptu speaking, etc. etc.  She also must write a commercial to work on persuasive speaking.   (Next year she will have to write a persuasive speech with 6 sources.)