Menu

Any feedback about Online G3 classes?

My 10th grader is trying out a literature class on Online G3. I don't really know if he is gifted but I liked the line up of reading for their Dystopian Literature class. So far he is keeping up fine but I don't really hear any feedback at all from the teacher. I know they don't give grades but does anyone have an idea what I can expect as far an evaluation or feedback while the class is ongoing? Is not getting replies from the teacher on forum posts to are about class topics normal?

8 hours ago, summerreading said:

I know they don't give grades but does anyone have an idea what I can expect as far an evaluation or feedback while the class is ongoing? Is not getting replies from the teacher on forum posts to are about class topics normal?

Nada. In our experience, it is normal not to get much feedback. I use OnlineG3 when I want the content without the heavy output/busywork (since I can pick & choose what I want DD to do). It is usually an extra or a supplement for us. I like it for that.

• Like 2

I hope someone has done the writing supplement at some point and can review that portion:) . My kids are doing the Shakespeare class and my son is doing the Computer Science Principles Class. Both are huge hits, though the CS definitely has a lot more work.  I knew not to expect feedback and that was part of my decision to enroll in these classes.  They needed some good discussion classes and good input without stress over grades to balance out some of their harder classes. We are very happy so far!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

I knew not to expect feedback and that was part of my decision to enroll in these classes.  They needed some good discussion classes and good input without stress over grades to balance out some of their harder classes. We are very happy so far!

Same here. This and somewhat unique subject matter are reasons we chose to use this provider. If I want writing, grades, or lots of rigor, I choose different providers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

I hope someone has done the writing supplement at some point and can review that portion:) . My kids are doing the Shakespeare class and my son is doing the Computer Science Principles Class. Both are huge hits, though the CS definitely has a lot more work.  I knew not to expect feedback and that was part of my decision to enroll in these classes.  They needed some good discussion classes and good input without stress over grades to balance out some of their harder classes. We are very happy so far!

The CS class looks great. I am going to keep it on my list for next year.
Are they free to or encouraged to email the instructor if they are stuck with the coding?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, summerreading said:

The CS class looks great. I am going to keep it on my list for next year.
Are they free to or encouraged to email the instructor if they are stuck with the coding?

They won't be coding until near the end of the year my son says -- they are learning right now about the internet, transferring bits and packets and... well, I'm sure what the next unit will be.  I THINK they follow the AP computer science principles course -- they seem to be covering the same material.  It meets for two hours instead of one -- the first hour is instruction and the second hour they are in a "breakout" room and work on challenges with partners.  The work varies -- responding to forums but also short mini presentations using a voicethread, which is kind of like powerpoint with their voice over.  

My son is REALLY enjoying it.  

There is an easy way to contact the instructor -- my son hasn't needed to do so yet so I don't have any input on that.