Jump to content

Menu

How to clean mildew in bathroom


Kanin
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

The bathroom in our new rental house is small, and mildew builds up really quickly on the side of the tub, and on the shower curtain. I also saw some on the ceiling. Ugh! DH has a mildly sore-ish throat, and it looks red in the back. I'm not sure if it's a cold, pollen allergy, or what, but it scares me that it could be an allergy to mold. That sounds pretty dangerous.

I washed the shower curtain on hot, used Tilex spray with bleach on the tub, walls, etc. They look clear now, but I'm worried the little beasties are still there. We also started wiping the walls and tub with a towel after showering, and leaving the fan on during all showers. Also washed all the towels.

Is there anything else I should do? Should I tell my landlady?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would tell her. There's a chance she will furnish you with a dehumidifier.

It sounds like you took all the right steps in cleaning. If you are living anywhere near us, the fall allergies are really bad atm. Hopefully that's all it is for your DH. But if not, I'd run a dehumidifier all winter in that room, and of course things should dry out when the weather turns.

Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Straight white vinegar is fabulous for mildew. You have to spray it generously and leave it for a few minutes, but it should make the mildew run down the wall so that you can wipe it off. 

https://www.servicemasterrestore.com/blog/mold-damage/mold-myths-will-vinegar-kill-mold/

This article mentions leaving it on longer and following up with baking soda. You don't want to use the vinegar and baking soda simultaneously though--they neutralize each other (acid vs. base).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

it it builds up that fast - I'd start wondering about black mold behind the walls.

 

is this a rental?  yes - I would tell the landlady.

is it properly ventilated?   I was talking to someone whose fans vented into the ATTIC. - they had a terrible moisture problem build up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MEmama said:

I would tell her. There's a chance she will furnish you with a dehumidifier.

It sounds like you took all the right steps in cleaning. If you are living anywhere near us, the fall allergies are really bad atm. Hopefully that's all it is for your DH. But if not, I'd run a dehumidifier all winter in that room, and of course things should dry out when the weather turns.

 Good luck!

Midcoast? ? Lots of people here have bad allergies, too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

it it builds up that fast - I'd start wondering about black mold behind the walls.

 

is this a rental?  yes - I would tell the landlady.

is it properly ventilated?   I was talking to someone whose fans vented into the ATTIC. - they had a terrible moisture problem build up.

Good question about ventilation... the fan is in the ceiling, but no idea where it goes after that. Hopefully not the attic! Ack. 

I'll tell the landlady. It's times like this I'm glad I don't own a home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, kbutton said:

Straight white vinegar is fabulous for mildew. You have to spray it generously and leave it for a few minutes, but it should make the mildew run down the wall so that you can wipe it off. 

https://www.servicemasterrestore.com/blog/mold-damage/mold-myths-will-vinegar-kill-mold/

This article mentions leaving it on longer and following up with baking soda. You don't want to use the vinegar and baking soda simultaneously though--they neutralize each other (acid vs. base).

  

I'd love to use vinegar instead of this foul-smelling chemical stuff. Thanks for the tip!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's possible the fan isn't drawing well - if it seems like it's not, ask the landlady to send someone to check the roof to make sure it's not blocked. We actually had a fan that ran into the attic and it wasn't a problem, because the attic was well-ventilated (nowhere for moisture to build up). Think of open slats on the sides.

Pry off the cover to the fan and make sure all the moving pieces are moving properly. The inside might need to be wiped down as well. You might also need a stronger fan.

Keep the fan on for a while after the shower is over, and leave the door open unless someone is actually using the bathroom. And if anyone is taking long, steamy showers, tell them to knock it off ;). It's too bad you don't seem to have a window - our current bathroom doesn't even have a fan, but the window sucks all the humid air out.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...