Menu

Need Some Advice Regarding Teaching Latin.....

.....especially Latin Alive, but really any Latin.

Has anyone used Latin Alive book 1 with an older student who has never studied Latin before (or studied any foreign language at all)?  If yes, did you find that Latin Alive Book 1 (with the DVDs) was enough practice and drill to effectively learn and retain concepts, vocabulary, etc.? If not, what did you use to supplement Latin Alive book 1 (aside from the DVDs which I already have).

Alternatively, maybe Latin Alive book 1 is not a good choice for someone who has never studied a foreign language before and who will need consistent drill and practice. I am open to other suggestions.

Background: My DS will be starting Latin this year for the first time; in fact, this is the first time he has ever studied a foreign language and he is in the 9th grade. He chose Latin and I think it will be a good fit for him overall as he loves ancient history and dosn't want to worry about needing to cultivate a conversationally appropriate accent. However, in looking over the program I selected (Latin Alive1) I am now thinking that we will start with the book Getting Started with Latin first and then go into Latin Alive book 1. My DS  also is somewhat weak in grammar and I think starting with Latin Alive right off would probably give him anxiety.

Thanks!!

There was a thread about this not too long ago if I recall correctly. I don't think I bookmarked it, but you could try searching this forum for Latin Alive.

IMO, Latin Alive moves very fast for someone who has never had Latin. My son has had two years of primary level Latin (Latin for Children A and B) and is doing fine, but I can't imagine going into those first chapters and learning the dipthongs (sp?) in one week, etc. I believe what was recommended in the other thread is to do GSWL first and then do Latin Alive.

ETA1: You mentioned grammar being a weak spot. I would also work on that in tandem if you can. There is SO much grammar in learning a foreign language. 

Let me see if I can find that thread.  ETA: found it. See next post.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 2

Thanks for the link!!  : )

I previously did some research on the Hive and found the suggestion for GSWL and had planned to do that first anyway. I'm still thinking that the Latin Alive exercises themselves seem "light" in terms of amount for the concepts presented(?) My son probably is going to need some drill to retain concepts and vocabulary. Should I make my own flashcards, find some other exercises to supplement.....?

AGGHHHH!!! I should have read that link before going with LA!! I agree with that poster though, I did not catch a "not for beginner vibe" when I was looking at LA on the website. I guess I may be selling LA 1 or using it next year. At least it appears that Quizlet has vocabulary work already available.

So, now what after Getting Started with Latin? Maybe Latin Prep? Maybe So You Want to Learn Latin? Maybe Memoria Press Latin? I want something that has the richness of Latin Alive but doesn't move too fast and won't totally turn off my DS. Maybe the Big Lively Book of Latin Book 2?

11 minutes ago, CAtoVA said:

Thanks for the link!!  : )

I previously did some research on the Hive and found the suggestion for GSWL and had planned to do that first anyway. I'm still thinking that the Latin Alive exercises themselves seem "light" in terms of amount for the concepts presented(?) My son probably is going to need some drill to retain concepts and vocabulary. Should I make my own flashcards, find some other exercises to supplement.....?

I hear you. When I first got the book, I thought it seemed like too little in comparison to what we had done before with Latin for Children A and B (which I did supplement with the worksheets that they provided on their website).  I can most see my son needing "more" when we get to concepts he has not yet covered, which has not happened yet. I am guessing we won't get to much "new" material until about halfway in--we are on Chapter 6 and the only new thing is a discussion of "dative of reference."  

I would definitely use Quizlet for vocab or use Anki if you prefer that. I use Quizlet for my son and he reviews vocabulary every day. Since the verb forms, noun endings, etc. are new, I would also review those very regularly.  Have him/her fill out the charts with the endings. There are some blank charts at the end of the teacher book I believe, and also with the supplemental material for Latin for Children A and B.  

We are doing quizzes that I downloaded from the Latin Alive Yahoo group. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any past Chapter 16. There are free tests available on the LA Yahoo group (and answers) which we are using. I am using the quizzes for another layer of review prior to the test.  

I have an excel schedule we are following--PM me if you want me to email it to you so you can tweak it. We discovered early on that my original plan of "watch the whole video, then do the exercises" was not going to work because she often discusses the exercises in the video. So, at the advice of one of the boardies here, I revised it so that he watches part of the video, does a couple of exercises, then the next day he watches a bit more and does exercises, etc.

Since your child has not done any prior Latin, there is no reason you can't pull the supplemental worksheets for Latin for Children A and B and use those.  

bonus for LFC-A  https://classicalacademicpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/LFCa_practice_pages_July_07.pdf

bonus for LFC-B  https://classicalacademicpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/LFC_B_practice_pages.pdf

Edited by cintinative
  • Thanks 1

Oohh, good idea to use the worksheets for Latin for Children A and B. Maybe I can "save" this year yet and still use Latin Alive 1 after Getting Started with Grammar!!!

Yeah, DS is not as strong with grammar as I would like. It's not that he doesn't "get it," it's that he starts to get anxious whenever "traditional" names for things appear (like "principle parts of a verb"). Then he can shut down. When he actually does something like conjugate verbs or diagram sentences, he's fine. It's just that things move slowly as we attempt to get him past things he *thinks* will be "hard."

I will pm you for the Excel spreadsheet, thanks. The "lesson plans" on the CAP website seem flimsy to me.

• Like 1