Menu

Strep - expected to feel better by now

Pegasus

Symptoms started on Thursday, diagnosed at health clinic using the rapid strep test Friday morning and started 10 days antibiotics. So, I guess this is day 3 on the antibiotics. Throat still hurts.  I wake feeling tired and run down but strangely start feeling a little better as the day gets later, then go to bed early, sleep 12 hours, and it starts all over again. 

I need to report back to work tomorrow. Was assured that I would no longer be contagious after 24 hours on the antibiotic but not sure I'll feel like dragging myself to work by 8 am.  Shouldn't I be feeling better by now?

My son got strep, and I assured him after 24 hours on antibiotics, his throat would feel better. It didn’t until the end of day three. That happened twice with him, poor kid. Hang in there, and keep drinking liquids. He said it felt like drinking broken glass to have a few sips of water. I still remember my poor, stoic, 18yo son asking to hold my hand as he forced it down, tears running down his face.

Dd got sick at college last week. Wasn't strep, but yikes, her throat was sore and rawrawraw for 6 days until the congestion kicked in! 

She had strep 2 years ago that "turned into" scarlet fever. It wasn't even picked up on the rapid strep test. Thank goodness she had the rash, because it would've gone longer without treatment. 

All that to say, sore throats suck and I hope yours feels better soon. Gargle with salt water! Drink Throat Coat tea! ❤️

Thank you, everyone. It makes sense that adults just need longer to recover. Most of the information out there is for children with strep, advising that you can send them back to school after 24 hours on the antibiotic.  Think I may be turning the corner this morning, not feeling as bad as yesterday morning at least. If I'm not much better soon, I'll follow up on the possibility of a different antibiotic.