Menu

Accountability Thread 9/16-9/22

Good morning! Welcome to almost the end of September. Not quite. But the end of the week generally marks the end of savage heat. However, we haven't had any savage heat this year, so not sure what to expect. Baked autumn, maybe.

Today's schedule:

Grocery run, trip to the lake. Some writing, drawing, a little housekeeping, school planning.

• Like 3

Good morning! Its hot here too. I hope Critter is right and this week is the last heat wave. I'm ready for cooler temps. 

I have an appointment in just a few minutes but I should be back well before 9 so it shouldn't interfere with our school day at all.

Reading, memory work, math, spelling, grammar, and handwriting this morning. Science and geography after a lunch and exercise break. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 2

Good morning. Got to start school here in a bit.

Today's list: French, Latin, Math, Literature, pick up pumpkins from the fair. Both boys won a small prize for their squash. 

For me: French, Latin, Literature, Writing, Drawing, go pick up the squash, housekeeping, cooking if I'm up to it. It's hot again today. Come on cool weather!

• Like 3

Good Morning,

It suppose to be in the 90s here all week. Then a cooler weekend. 

Daddy is off today and is still sleeping. He has been really tired lately.

She has done Bible stories, memory verse, calendar and weather, Blend Phonics, state history,  read alouds, she read to me and science videos.

Needs to do math and a writing page.

She built a blanket fort and is currently doing mazes inside it.

Edited by Mommyof1
  • Like 2

Well we didn't get to geography yesterday because my appointment ran long and definitely did interfere with school and by the time we got to that last subject, it was late and I was exhausted from not sleeping well the night before.

Today we did light school with memory work, read alouds, math, and a game of Sorry! that ds begged to play. Then we set off for the sitter's house. I had a long drive and now I'm waiting on that meeting I was prepping for. 

I'll pick up the kids around dinner time and I already promised them one more game of Sorry! between showers and bedtime. 

• Like 2

Hello,

We took a family bike ride late in the morning. It was already really hot. It wiped us out.

She did most of her school before we left. Math, phonics, Bible and calendar with weather.

Currently Daddy is napping and DD is on Shepherd Software.

Needs to read to us and do a writing page.

• Like 2

Good morning!

Full school day today. My plan is to do the basics of reading, memory work, math, spelling, grammar, and handwriting this morning.

Then this afternoon after lunch I want to dive into our geography and explore for an hour rather than the normal 30 minutes. We've got a couple of geography encyclopedias and atlases checked out from the library that are out of renewals and will have to go back soon. So I really want to make sure we've gotten everything we can out of them. ? 

I will probably put science off until tomorrow so they aren't overworked.

We need groceries but not very many so I'm thinking it might be a good day for some grocery store math. I'll see if I can find a cute printable or something.

• Like 2

Hi,

She has done her math, writing, bible story & memory verse, calendar & weather, 7 Continents plus oceans and U.S. State names.

Daddy has been reading a chapter book to her at night but she requested he read it to her this morning as they cuddle on the recliner. Then they drew pictures from the book.

I still need to do phonics and she needs to read to me.

Park time

Family game time

Church tonight

• Like 2

Good afternoon!

School today: French, Latin, Math, Literature.

For me: I took the morning off from French and Latin to compile a query list from the past year in preparation for resuming queries this fall. Took a while. Now I'm writing and cooking. Some cleaning planned for later. Also drawing.

• Like 2

Well: here it is Wednesday already.  oh my.  Older boy and I are sick (just colds, but can't think straight).

Our school start has been a bit demoralizing to me this year, but on the whole we're doing better than other years!  Really, the boys are thriving and I can see fruits of earlier hard work paying off. 

OTOH our piano teacher finally became a very poor fit for us (I saw it coming in the distant future, just not NOW) and we are in the market for a new one.  Our first foray was utterly discouraging but I Have Ideas for finding a better fit. 

This week we have finally settled out older DS' Latin and Greek classes.  We'll be playing catch-up in Latin through next week, then the classes should be straightforward until winter break.  Older son has gotten regular Latin, Greek, math, plus a bit of literature/science/history/composition; younger son has gotten regular Latin, math, spelling & grammar & composition, and Bible. 

Today:

• For me: exercise + eat well so I can sleep okay.
  • Older boy (he's sick, too): Greek; Latin; Math; poetry memorization + geography memorization; literature reading.  Fitness.  Piano practice. 
  • Younger boy: Latin; Math; spelling + composition + grammar; Bible.  Fitness.  Piano practice. 
  • Housecleaning, clear space for bookshelves that got delivered (and which need assembly)
  • "date night" with DH. 
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, serendipitous journey said:

Well: here it is Wednesday already.  oh my.  Older boy and I are sick (just colds, but can't think straight).

Our school start has been a bit demoralizing to me this year, but on the whole we're doing better than other years!  Really, the boys are thriving and I can see fruits of earlier hard work paying off. 

OTOH our piano teacher finally became a very poor fit for us (I saw it coming in the distant future, just not NOW) and we are in the market for a new one.  Our first foray was utterly discouraging but I Have Ideas for finding a better fit. 

This week we have finally settled out older DS' Latin and Greek classes.  We'll be playing catch-up in Latin through next week, then the classes should be straightforward until winter break.  Older son has gotten regular Latin, Greek, math, plus a bit of literature/science/history/composition; younger son has gotten regular Latin, math, spelling & grammar & composition, and Bible. 

Today:

• For me: exercise + eat well so I can sleep okay.
  • Older boy (he's sick, too): Greek; Latin; Math; poetry memorization + geography memorization; literature reading.  Fitness.  Piano practice. 
  • Younger boy: Latin; Math; spelling + composition + grammar; Bible.  Fitness.  Piano practice. 
  • Housecleaning, clear space for bookshelves that got delivered (and which need assembly)
  • "date night" with DH. 

This is exactly how I feel! There have been so many medical interruptions (and extended family interruptions) to the start of the year that I don't feel like we are in the swing of things yet and September is almost over already! 

I just keep trying to move the needle forward with school each day and tell myself, "everything's fine. The kids are doing well. The kids are learning. The kids are happy." ☺

Today involves... drum roll please... another medical appointment! I thought we were off the hook for the rest of this week but something has come up that needs antibiotics urgently. Chronic health conditions never take a day off! ? We should be home by lunch and have all afternoon for school. 

I'm thinking memory work, math game and math practice page, and art! Really messy, go big or go home art fun! I just really need to NOT pick up the lesson books today, kwim? ? Then we'll do read alouds at bedtime. 

• Like 2

We missed a few days last week and Monday this week.  Things have been going well.....but not so much this week.  All in all, we’ve done more school than missed so far.

Both kids have been pulling the “I can’t be bothered to think” routine.  DD has spent spent 30 minutes stalling on simple math problems.  Spelling/Grammer is shaping up to be a real peach if this attitude continues.  School is going to take for-ev-er.

I think today is going to be a screen free day with a heavy emphasis of tomato staking or kicking her out to walk the dog.  

Stefanie

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrsRobinson said:

I just keep trying to move the needle forward with school each day and tell myself, "everything's fine. The kids are doing well. The kids are learning. The kids are happy." ☺

Yes: this!  It is the only thing to do.  And if the kids are well humans, that is invaluable and irreplaceable. 

Today: for everyone, Latin, Greek (for younger this is just say the Greek alphabet), math, keyboarding, reading, memory work.  Focus on getting the house clean/organized: donating a lot of old books to the homeschool charter, old clothes to the Salvation Army, and boxing up some piles of stuff to make room for shelves.  I ought to eat well and exercise, and bonus would be doing a grocery run. 

• Like 2

Good afternoon! Today's schedule: Art (where we were all morning), Latin, Math. 

We finished our French yesterday. Got to order more. The boys charged into the second half of CLE 800 yesterday. Got to order algebra. I discovered a bunch of blocks of water soluble graphite (paint) that I desperately need. I guess it's a good thing I'm working all weekend, because I'm about to blow a paycheck on school supplies! (Plus art stuff, but I plan to share...)

• Like 2

morning - twins -copywork, penmanship, vocab word study ( oral), Abeka phonics, Fitzroy reader plus workbook, skip counting by 5s, jolly phonics workbook, narration, sound bites, speech pathology

afternoon ds14 - History, spelling, IEW, word study,  twins-  reading eggs, cutting worksheet

september school holidays started today ( end of term 3 AUS). only ds14 will have school holidays, twins will continue schoolwork. 

• Like 1

Good morning! Yesterday was... interesting... yep, I'll just leave it at that for now. ? I may make a seperate post with questions later! Lol! 

Today, I dont even know what to do! The public school neighbor friends are off today and even though we've had enough days off already, I might just let them play with their friends today so I can recover from yesterday and catch up on housework.

They've had their noses in new library books all morning so... (shrug)... things could be worse!

Not a good day....

Feeling very discouraged that DD 10 still doesn't understand the relationship between basic addition and subtraction.  I've only been teaching this for 4 years now....She can add and subtract all day long....but asking her to find the missing number....complete epic fail every time.  Ask her to use a number line.....complete miss as well.   

*sigh*

Stefanie

• Like 1

Sorry Stefanie, maybe someone on the board might be able to offer suggestions or help. I have no experience with it.

Yesterday was busy (away from home) and a lite day of school for DD5. Bible stories, memory verses, calendar, weather, audiobooks, poems, she read to me, review parents info & emergency contact, arts & crafts plus story time at library. At bedtime Daddy read to her. 

Today, we stayed home and Daddy took the car to work.

This morning she read 4 of her easy books to her stuff animals in bed.

Currently breakfast and cartoons.

School will be writing page, phonics lesson, math lesson, calendar & weather,  read alouds, Bible stories and memory verse.

She needs to clean up her room.

I have house cleaning to do.

Go for a walk later. Its much cooler outside.

Play outside

Play games

Arts and crafts

• Like 1

Happy fall weekend everyone! 

Its chilly and rainy... perfect fall weather for warm baked foods! I made chocolate chip banana bread, oatmeal in the Instant Pot, and I'm going to make a big pot of chicken noodle soup later. I've got one not feeling too well today and chicken noodle soup usually helps. ? I will probably also make some pumpkin cookies to kick off fall. 

We put up our fall decorations, laundry is going, 80s music is playing, so I'm all set to tackle the school room! ? Its a wreck (again) and really needs some serious attention. 

We will also be going to the library after lunch (the 3rd time this week!) I asked dd what in the world is she going to do when she's read every library book on the shelf?! Lol! 

Edited by MrsRobinson
Autocorrect