Menu

AGA Stove?

momacacia

Does anyone have an AGA stove? We're considering a house with one...and I'm concerned about the energy/$ suck, as well as the heat in the summer if it's constantly on. There is a 2-burner electric stovetop also in the kitchen and 2 wall stoves...so those could be used, but I cook a lot and a 2-burner stove for 9 months of the year would make me crazy. We're in the Midwest with summers in the 80s/90s. The stove was not turned on when we walked through the house...burners at least wouldn't turn on. Anyone know what that means?

There is a small digital readout on the front, but otherwise it had 4-5 burners and 3 stove "openings." I mean, I know their sexy kitchen ware...and I love that, but if I'm going to be replacing it with something else sooner than later..I want to know that before we jump in.

AGA experts out there????

Edited by momacacia

37 minutes ago, momacacia said:

Does anyone have an AGA stove? We're considering a house with one...and I'm concerned about the energy/$ suck, as well as the heat in the summer if it's constantly on. There is a 2-burner electric stovetop also in the kitchen and 2 wall stoves...so those could be used, but I cook a lot and a 2-burner stove for 9 months of the year would make me crazy. We're in the Midwest with summers in the 80s/90s. The stove was not turned on when we walked through the house...burners at least wouldn't turn on. Anyone know what that means?

There is a small digital readout on the front, but otherwise it had 4-5 burners and 3 stove "openings." I mean, I know their sexy kitchen ware...and I love that, but if I'm going to be replacing it with something else sooner than later..I want to know that before we jump in.

AGA experts out there????

I have always thought an Aga would be awesome. :-)

Doesn't the Aga have to be hooked up to a heat source? Like gas, or wood, or something?

I had never seen one with 4-5 burners; I only seen this kind or the one with five ovens. But then I sleuthed around this site and saw the ones with actual burners.

Which doesn't answer your question. Sorry. :-) Maybe the site I linked can help you.

• Like 1

I’ll answer with my total non expert reply and this also give a bump up.  

I have only a vague recollection of an Aga at a home I visited in a cool part of England. Iirc, it warmed the kitchen nicely in that climate. I don’t think it heated the whole house like a kachelofen. 

It might save on other heating during cool parts of year, but I would not want to use something like that in summer when it is in 80s-90s   We don’t have a/c and I don’t even like to use our regular electric stove during hot times of summer   

• Like 1

I think it really depends on the model. I don't think the newer dual fuel models are always on.  They've been on my dream kitchen wish list for a while, but so far we've decided to wait until we're likely in a forever home, as they're rather taste-specific and DH's company has us moving every couple of years.

Here's one article: https://www.cooksinfo.com/aga-stoves