Menu

Why are pools in Florida indoors?

school17777

48 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Well, aside from the gators, which are tolerable, you find the same things in a lot of other places. 

But it's okay with me that folks go on thinking that Florida is the epicenter of weird and dangerous. Keeps the landscape clearer for those of us who love it. 

I will say that everytime we are down there there is an abduction.  Usually it is from another state, and they bring the child to Florida.  Not sure why FL, but there are always missing people (kidnappings) and abduction cases.  

But for us, we love Disney and Universal, and the beaches, but I couldn't live in the heat and humidity year round.  North Carolina is known as the "halfback" state.....people move from the NE to FL and then end up in NC.....hahaha.

• Like 4

I was really confused.  All pools here in Florida are outdoors ?  LOL   Some family pools are in screens but team/competition pools are outdoors, in the blaring sun.  My daughter swims outdoors all.year.long.  It is funny the 2 weeks of the year when it gets really cold, the kids finish practice and they all scurry to the pool house like their life depends on it ROFL.  

Edited by ZiMom

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

I will say that everytime we are down there there is an abduction.  Usually it is from another state, and they bring the child to Florida.  Not sure why FL, but there are always missing people (kidnappings) and abduction cases.  

But for us, we love Disney and Universal, and the beaches, but I couldn't live in the heat and humidity year round.  North Carolina is known as the "halfback" state.....people move from the NE to FL and then end up in NC.....hahaha.

And all the weirdest news stories start with "Florida Man...". Just sayin'. 

I love NC. We want to move back someday.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I don't consider a screened porch to be indoors but it sounds like that's what OP is calling indoors. 

It's rare to see a built in pool in Florida that isn't screened it for many of the reasons mentioned above, but they're still outdoors.

I'm with you @Seasider too If anyone doesn't want to be here that's fine with me. We can keep the state free for those of us who love it here.

For those who believe Florida is the epicenter of weird, I highly recommend the "Look Inside" feature at Amazon for Dave Barry's book, Best. State. Ever. Keep in mind he's a comedian and this is tongue in cheek but there's also an element of truth to it.

Some examples -

"Florida is also the number one destination of people leaving a number of other states, including New York and New Jersey, thousands and thousands of them, somehow tearing themselves away from the indescribable magnificence of pizza, and, of course, the bagels - we can't forget the bagels! - to move to Florida. In fact, people from all over are moving to Florida. Florida's population is growing like crazy."

"And most of them - even the non-stupid ones - decide to stay."

He also tells the story of a woman who was stopped for shaving her bikini area while driving. She was on the way to visit her boyfriend and wanted "to be ready for the visit". In true Florida weirdness factor, her passenger was her ex-husband. He took the steering wheel while she shaved and kept her foot on the gas pedal. She also had a suspended license and shouldn't have been driving. The kicker? She was from Indiana. Many of the craziness that happens in Florida is initiated by a non-native, which means there are weird people everywhere. Florida gets the blame for them. How about the state that raised them? What is it about their home state that made them so weird? 

Barry's humor is best appreciated by one who knows and loves Florida but there's so much truth in his humor.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I don't consider a screened porch to be indoors but it sounds like that's what OP is calling indoors. 

It's rare to see a built in pool in Florida that isn't screened it for many of the reasons mentioned above, but they're still outdoors.

I'm with you @Seasider too If anyone doesn't want to be here that's fine with me. We can keep the state free for those of us who love it here.

For those who believe Florida is the epicenter of weird, I highly recommend the "Look Inside" feature at Amazon for Dave Barry's book, Best. State. Ever. Keep in mind he's a comedian and this is tongue in cheek but there's also an element of truth to it.

Some examples -

"Florida is also the number one destination of people leaving a number of other states, including New York and New Jersey, thousands and thousands of them, somehow tearing themselves away from the indescribable magnificence of pizza, and, of course, the bagels - we can't forget the bagels! - to move to Florida. In fact, people from all over are moving to Florida. Florida's population is growing like crazy."

"And most of them - even the non-stupid ones - decide to stay."

He also tells the story of a woman who was stopped for shaving her bikini area while driving. She was on the way to visit her boyfriend and wanted "to be ready for the visit". In true Florida weirdness factor, her passenger was her ex-husband. He took the steering wheel while she shaved and kept her foot on the gas pedal. She also had a suspended license and shouldn't have been driving. The kicker? She was from Indiana. Many of the craziness that happens in Florida is initiated by a non-native, which means there are weird people everywhere. Florida gets the blame for them. How about the state that raised them? What is it about their home state that made them so weird? 

Barry's humor is best appreciated by one who knows and loves Florida but there's so much truth in his humor.

I just read a Carl Hiaasen novel that featured the bikini shaving woman, only she used it in an accident scam. As for weirdos, sorry, I’ve read too many Hiaasen novels to be convinced otherwise, lol.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, livetoread said:

I just read a Carl Hiaasen novel that featured the bikini shaving woman, only she used it in an accident scam. As for weirdos, sorry, I’ve read too many Hiaasen novels to be convinced otherwise, lol.

Hiassen writes fiction. The point is though, these weirdos are rarely Florida natives. Therefore, the entire country is full of weirdos. They come here because of the weather but Florida isn't what made them weird. 

Speaking of Carl Hiaasen, I was saddened to learn that his brother was among the victims at the Capital Gazette. ?

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, scholastica said:

And all the weirdest news stories start with "Florida Man...". Just sayin'. 

I love NC. We want to move back someday.

It actually has to do with the press laws and police in Florida. So it’s not just that crazier stuff happens there, but the press has immediate access to all the dirt. 

I’ve never seen an indoor pool in Florida, after living there about 30 years.  I’ve seen them farther north for cold weather/gym/exercise purposes.  As others have stated, a screened in porch is very typical, for many reasons, including safety, wildlife, and cleaning.

Edited by displace
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, displace said:

I’ve never seen an indoor pool in Florida, after living there about 30 years.  I’ve seen them farther north for cold weather/gym/exercise purposes.  As others have stated, a screened in porch is very typical, for many reasons, including safety, wildlife, and cleaning.

From my friends’ pictures, it looks like the pools in Florida backyards are inside a glass enclosure.

eta:  Backyard pools in our area, are just in the backyard with a fence around them.  

Edited by school17777
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, school17777 said:

From my friends’ pictures, it looks like the pools in Florida backyards are inside a glass enclosure.

eta:  Backyard pools in our area, are just in the backyard with a fence around them.  

I'm a Florida native, and have lived in various parts of the state, and have never ever ever seen that. I'm 99.9% sure you are seeing screening, not glass. The screen is to keep the mosquitos out and to keep the leaves from falling into the pool. Here is one image - that's a screen enclosure, not glass. 

pool-screen-enclosure-cropped.jpg

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 11

12 hours ago, displace said:

There is ONE not too far from Disney, the YMCA Aquatic Center.  It is boasted as being a big competition center, Phelps, etc have swum there.  The kids HATE, HATE swimming there.  I won't even sign my daughter up when they have meets there any longer it is so miserable.  Talk about hot and humid and chemical filled.  At least outside you have some control then inside a box with a pool that they refuse to update the air ventilation system.  

Edited by ZiMom
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ZiMom said:

There is ONE not too far from Disney, the YMCA Aquatic Center.  It is boasted as being a big competition center, Phelps, etc have swum there.  The kids HATE, HATE swimming there.  I won't even sign my daughter up when they have meets there any longer it is so miserable.  Talk about hot and humid and chemical filled.  At least outside you have some control then inside a box with a pool that they refuse to update the air ventilation system.  

I used to live right next door to that YMCA! 

19 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Hiassen writes fiction. The point is though, these weirdos are rarely Florida natives. Therefore, the entire country is full of weirdos. They come here because of the weather but Florida isn't what made them weird. 

Speaking of Carl Hiaasen, I was saddened to learn that his brother was among the victims at the Capital Gazette. ?

Maybe being in FL unlocks or unleashes the weirdness? ??

And that is sad about Hiaasen's brother.

• Like 3

Not all the wildlife is dangerous. ? 

I used to know someone in an older home in Central Florida with a lovey pool that was not screened in.  She was plagued by gopher tortoises.  They loved to lay by her pool and sun themselves....they were messier than I would have expected.  She was jokingly thinking about moving because they were driving her a bit nuts with the clean up.  The size and positioning of the pool apparently made screening in very expensive.

This is being said by someone who adores gopher tortoises.  I actually got to know her because I used to take my kids to see the tortoises on a trail near her house.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZiMom said:

My DN train at Orlando Metro gymnastics, and they have an indoor pool. DD loved the idea of being able to swim as part of conditioning until she went there once and discovered how humid and sticky the pool makes the entire gym. 

Speaking of indoor pools and ventilation, my water fitness classes at the gym are at an indoor pool and when the chlorine is too high, the smell could kill an elephant. We've had classes cut short because it's so bad and instructors coming away with migraines. The last time this happened the students and instructor made such a stink (ha!) that it hasn't happened since. On the plus side, we can still have class in the rain and we've had a super rainy summer this year.

Adding on to what @ZiMom and @dmmetler said, most indoor pools in Florida are at a facility like a gym or YMCA or some type of practice facility. A few hotels have indoor pools but most are outdoor. And I've never seen an indoor pool at a private home. I've lived here for 49 years with most but not all of those years in Central Florida.

Edited by Lady Florida.

16 hours ago, dmmetler said:

My DN train at Orlando Metro gymnastics, and they have an indoor pool. DD loved the idea of being able to swim as part of conditioning until she went there once and discovered how humid and sticky the pool makes the entire gym. 

Sorry, yes.  I mean a competition pool.  Not a 10-15 foot pool that you have to turn around every 3 strokes LOL.  There is one of those close to us too (gymnastics/learn to swim indoor pools).