Menu

Good paying manual jobs with minimal training?

Slache

We're moving to San Antonio in the spring and my husband is considering a new line of work. He has no college or training. He currently prepares refrigerator sized servers for shipping but the pay for that in San Antonio is not enough to keep us afloat. What else is out there? He does not want to work in the medical field.

14 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yup, bus driving isn’t bad at all.  Long haul trucking can be tougher timewise, but the pay tends to be better too.  Construction is huge in this area - if he is clean and smart he’d be hired in a hot minute in this area.  Not passing drug tests is the biggest barrier small employers are citing in the blue collar sector here.

This is all true in my area, too (though I'm not in San Antonio).

• Like 1

Can I ask why you are moving?  Is there a reason you are choosing a place to move and no job lined up?   

Would it be possible for him to go back to CC and get a certification of some kind?  Plumbing, machinery, automotive care, and welding are ones that our local CC offers with certification.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Can I ask why you are moving?  Is there a reason you are choosing a place to move and no job lined up?   

Would it be possible for him to go back to CC and get a certification of some kind?  Plumbing, machinery, automotive care, and welding are ones that our local CC offers with certification.

Much better COL and closer to his parents. He would never have a job lined up anywhere. He's going to go to a temp agency before we moved to try and line something up.

He's considering it.

• Like 1