Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

We're moving

We are leaving the paradise of Big Bend National Park and heading back into civilization.  Amarillo.   Next month.  Anyone from there? 

• Like 32

My dad lived there for several years, and I have driven through and seen his old house, on the way to Colorado.  

Cadillac Ranch is fun to drive past.  

My dad has fond memories, and I hope you love it there as well ?

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

But...  you just moved!   Time sure does fly ?

i hope moving goes well and I hope you grow to like Amarillo! If you move to the south side, your name will make sense again - “in south Amarillo” ? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Already? I'll have to stop saying, "I have a friend who lives in Big Bend!" any time I can possibly work it into a conversation. 

Hope your new home is wonderful and you take many good memories of your time there in the desert with you. 

• Like 8

Wishing you well with this move.  If you land in South Amarillo, you'll once again legitimately by Kinsa!

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 7

Civilization is relative, you will feel like you are living in a huge city!  ? Think of all the ice cream you can buy!

My brother lives there and I have family in the panhandle but they aren’t homeschoolers. 

• Like 2

I'm selfishly sad since I LOVED your Big Bend stories.  Enjoy your ice cream? You caused me to learn about the longest school bus commutes in the US which led me to a video about food deserts in ranch country and then to other food deserts.  

Edited by Starfish
  • Like 6

I had a friend who was born and raised there. My youngest Uncle was stationed at the Air Force Base there. That was many years ago.  I think you will like it. It is North of Palo Duro Canyon State Park, which is between there and Lubbock.   Tech wants to build a Veterinary College in Amarillo, for large animal vets, similar to one in Canada but I don't think the state has funded it yet...  

May your move be as trouble free as is possible. 

• Like 1

Palo Duro Canyon state park was wonderful when we visited Amarillo.  I have loved your stories throughout the years of your adventures.  Will you have much better services/opportunities for your youngest for school/vocational training, etc?

• Like 2

Was this a surprise or did you know it was coming? Or did you know you'd be moving but not sure where (kind of like military families)?

I had a friend from high school who lived in Amarillo for years. Her kids grew up there. She liked it well enough and only came back to Florida after her husband died unexpectedly (and young). 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 12:21 PM, school17777 said:

How long have you been there now?  Are you down to just one kiddo at home?  Is he excited?

Good luck with your move!

The kids and I have been here for over two years.  DH has been here for three years.  I still have two kids at home.  The kids are excited to be moving, but like me they will miss it here too.

On 9/14/2018 at 12:26 PM, Lady Marmalade said:

Is this good or bad? 

I imagine the ice cream opportunities will now be plentiful.  ?

I think overall it will be a good move for our family.

On 9/14/2018 at 1:13 PM, Mothersweets said:

Amarillo By Morning

This is all I can think of now. ? Good luck with your move!

We've had this song on a continuous loop for several days.  LOL

On 9/14/2018 at 2:57 PM, ScoutTN said:

Is this a good thing, with regard to your dh's job?

He is leaving the National Park Service.  And yes, it's a good thing, in this case.

On 9/14/2018 at 3:00 PM, Arctic Mama said:

So the real question: how do you feel about moving?  What will you miss?  What will you be totally happy to never deal with again?

I'm okay with it.  I love the tranquility of living here and being so close to nature.  I will be happy to not have to drive two hours each direction to get groceries. That gets old.

On 9/15/2018 at 7:48 AM, Ottakee said:

Palo Duro Canyon state park was wonderful when we visited Amarillo.  I have loved your stories throughout the years of your adventures.  Will you have much better services/opportunities for your youngest for school/vocational training, etc?

Well, considering that we get absolutely NOTHING for him here, I'm sure it will be a step in the right direction.  LOL

On 9/15/2018 at 8:18 AM, Lady Florida. said:

Was this a surprise or did you know it was coming? Or did you know you'd be moving but not sure where (kind of like military families)?

I had a friend from high school who lived in Amarillo for years. Her kids grew up there. She liked it well enough and only came back to Florida after her husband died unexpectedly (and young). 

DH applied for the job at the end of July.  He interviewed for it THREE times in August, and the job offer finally came last Thursday.  He is transferring from one federal agency to another, and I think he'll be much more comfortable in the new position (in the Veterans Administration) than he is here.  The National Park Service and being a military veteran... well, those two things can't be on further ends of the spectrum.  LOL

Edited by Kinsa
  • Like 12

On 9/14/2018 at 1:13 PM, Mothersweets said:

Amarillo By Morning

This is all I can think of now. ? Good luck with your move!

By the way, you DO realize, don't you, that I'm going to marry George Strait when I grow up, right?  (LOL)

Edited by Kinsa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/15/2018 at 12:17 AM, Liz CA said:

Oh honey, it will be sooo loud, so many people, so many distractions like....Target.  ?

Wait! But she had a Target! (I vaguely remember a bullseye painted on a tiny shed.) ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Kinsa said:

The National Park Service and being a military veteran... well, those two things can't be on further ends of the spectrum.  LOL

My best friend's husband retired from the military and works for the Nat Park Service now.  He loves it though!  His specialty is health/safety.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Wait! But she had a Target! (I vaguely remember a bullseye painted on a tiny shed.) ?

Yes! We do have one! It's about 90 miles away, but still! (And the newest development... there's now a Target shopping cart out front!)

20160712_113530.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 15

This is going to be good...  For KINSA: Most of the year, you will be "Karen in Sunny Amarillo".   Occasionally, you will be "Karen in Snowy Amarillo"

• Like 7

My parents lived in Amarillo for 5 years and I spent a few summers there. It's not paradise by any stretch and if the wind blows right out smells strongly of cows. But there are worse places for sure. We enjoyed spray painting the cars at Cadillac ranch and hiking Palo Duro canyon. And all the big box stores you could hope for! 

Edited by MeaganS
  • Like 2

On 9/17/2018 at 3:05 PM, Kinsa said:

By the way, you DO realize, don't you, that I'm going to marry George Strait when I grow up, right?  (LOL)

No man has aged better than that guy. 

• Like 2

On 9/20/2018 at 9:11 PM, Paradox5 said:

So when do you ship out?

Depends on how quickly we can close on a house.  We're thinking end of October, but no date yet.