Menu

American History that's open and go?

mamakelly

I'm confused. What about history isn't open and go? How do you make history convoluted. Most of the players are already dead and there isn't much to do but read about them anyway?

Do what we've done for years: Go to the library, look in the kids non fiction section under 970s (American History) and flip through or check out a few books from various series. Find one series that you like, then order that set online (or reserve the books online) and read the books. Our library has several series of "not really textbooks, but kind of" on American history for children. When you finish one series, start another series from the beginning. Then another. Discuss how certain "over view" texts exclude some information, but not others.

Using "Just Books" is how we have done History, (and science) for years. It's open and go (because it's a book, written TO the reader) and I'm just not a "craft" person.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

We use Nottgrass and that is very open and go, although there are various components.  There is information a couple posts down on Nottgrass that several of us have contributed to.  Check it out.

DUH! I can't believe I didn't think of Notgrass! I've literally been wracking my brain all week trying to come up with something other than a BJU or Abeka textbook. I haven't used Notgrass for any of my kids under high school, but I read that thread about it and it sounds perfect for what we need this year. Thank you thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 9:42 PM, Gil said:

I'm confused. What about history isn't open and go? How do you make history convoluted. Most of the players are already dead and there isn't much to do but read about them anyway?

Do what we've done for years: Go to the library, look in the kids non fiction section under 970s (American History) and flip through or check out a few books from various series. Find one series that you like, then order that set online (or reserve the books online) and read the books. Our library has several series of "not really textbooks, but kind of" on American history for children. When you finish one series, start another series from the beginning. Then another. Discuss how certain "over view" texts exclude some information, but not others.

Using "Just Books" is how we have done History, (and science) for years. It's open and go (because it's a book, written TO the reader) and I'm just not a "craft" person.

I think that’s what she means. ? She doesn’t want to go to the library and have to pre read and re read books and look for something to fit the time period and wonder if it’s the right one. But nice snark at the beginning.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mamamoose said:

I think that’s what she means. ? She doesn’t want to go to the library and have to pre read and re read books and look for something to fit the time period and wonder if it’s the right one. But nice snark at the beginning.

Rereading it, I see how my reply can be read as snarky but I wasn't being snarky.

The OP reads

On 9/13/2018 at 11:18 PM, mamakelly said:

We have a hectic schedule this year. I know it's not idea(l), but I really need American History for a 5th grader, that's open and go. I'd like to find something without a lot of extra components that's pretty straight forward. Any suggestions? 

When the OP said she wanted something without a lot of components I genuinely wondered what kind of "components" go with American History (as a default)? I'm glad that the OP has found a program that works for her.