Menu

Do you own/use an electric can opener?

Ann.without.an.e

Do you own/use an electric can opener?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own/use and electric can opener?

• I own one and I use it frequently.
    • I own one and I use it occasionally.
    • I own one but I never use it.
    • I don't own one but I wish I did.
    • I don't own one because I don't see the need.
    • What the heck is an electric can opener?

1 minute ago, KarenNC said:

I swear by my Swing-Away! I've already gotten one to put in my daughter's "hope chest" for when she moves out.

Yes, this is like the one I have. Other than our house fire I've not had to replace it.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Mbelle said:

My mom had one in the 70's.  Cute harvest gold!!

I have that harvest gold electric can opener. We got it as a wedding or shower gift in the late 1970s. I still have it, although it is in a cupboard rather than on the counter at this point. I rarely open cans anymore and when I do I use a manual opener. 

• Like 1

When I was growing up, we had the stab/push can opener, something like this.  Has anyone seen or used one?

What you do is actually stab the can's lid along the edge, and when the tip of the can opener is submerged, you use a back and forth tilting movement while turning the can with your other hand. At times, when we couldn't find this thing, we used a knife to stab a can and use the same motion. 

We often had sweetened condensed milk with tea or coffee, and for that you only needed to stab the can in two places across from each other. One hole was to pour and the other was for air flow.

Sometimes a can had a thicker lid, so you would use something to hit the top of the can opener's handle with, like a heavy knife handle or, if all else fails, a hammer. Does that make sense? The can opener blade is pressed against the can's lid like a nail, and you use something to hammer it in.

Edited by RosemaryAndThyme
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RosemaryAndThyme said:

When I was growing up, we had the stab/push can opener, something like this.  Has anyone seen or used one?

What you do is actually stab the can's lid along the edge, and when the tip of the can opener is submerged, you use a back and forth tilting movement while turning the can with your other hand. At times, when we couldn't find this thing, we used a knife to stab a can and use the same motion. 

We often had sweetened condensed milk with tea or coffee, and for that you only needed to stab the can in two places across from each other. One hole was to pour and the other was for air flow.

Sometimes a can had a thicker lid, so you would use something to hit the top of the can opener's handle with, like a heavy knife handle or, if all else fails, a hammer. Does that make sense? The can opener blade is pressed against the can's lid like a nail, and you use something to hammer it in.

Yup we had one of those growing up.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2018 at 9:55 PM, Attolia said:

I have had the same hand can opener for most of my 20+ years of marriage.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-58081-SteeL-Can-Opener/dp/B00004OCMM

I’ve owned it, it lasted a yes or two. It’s almost like a need a way to sharpen them. 

May parents have had the same can opener since the 80’s I really think I should just steal theirs. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2018 at 9:10 PM, Patty Joanna said:

I have the fewest electronic appliances of anyone I know, and the ones I have, I use constantly:  rice cooker and zojirushi water heater.  Coffee maker, coffee grinder. Food processor for when I do big food for homeless shelters and so on.  THAT is IT.  

I have my electric gadget lusts, but they are not kitchen-related.

On 9/13/2018 at 9:31 PM, happysmileylady said:

It's so funny because I think this illustrates the differences in people.

We own a coffee maker for DH....but no grinder.  I do have a food processor, I used it tonight in fact to shred cheese for tacos.  But rice cooker, water heater, coffee grinder, I don't own them and can't even see a use for them in my kitchen.

But the crockpots, the electric can opener, and zojirushi bread machine...I use those ALL the time and they are what occupy space on my counter.  

I want all the kitchen toys.

Did I say “toys?”

Clearly, I meant kitchen TOOLS. 

Not toys.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

(And I have both electric and manual can openers.)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I want all the kitchen toys.

Did I say “toys?”

Clearly, I meant kitchen TOOLS. 

Not toys.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

(And I have both electric and manual can openers.)

I do not have an electric can opener because, well, I am a kitchen gadget junkie and don't have any more room on my counter!

We do have a hot water heater, but it is attached to our sink (insinkerator and I can't live without it!  DH installed it 10 years ago and we use it multiple times daily!), 

Also:

KitchenAid mixer

Vitamix

Breville Toaster/convection oven we use multiple times per day

Gaggia Super Automatic Espresso Machine 

Instant Pot

That is just what is on my countertop......

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2

I need to clean off my counters! I started school and it’s gotten a little out of control on my peninsula thingy. I keep out the:

water boiler

stand mixer

blender

coffee maker

toaster

plus various fruit and veggie bowls, cutting boards, mortar and pestle, knife block, salt and pepper, and a mug that holds my can opener, sharpies, and chopsticks. I LIKE being able to reach things efficiently in one step but the visual clutter is not desirable. 

Ive had two manual can openers over the last 30 years. I replaced the first because I took it somewhere and forgot it there. When I bought it it said it was the kind used in space. That seemed a good endorsement to my 19-year-old self, but doesn’t seem quite true now. It was a reliable can opener and it’s replacement has been working fine. I DID just recently learn to turn it sideways, but that’s a whole other thread. ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I need to clean off my counters! I started school and it’s gotten a little out of control on my peninsula thingy. I keep out the:

water boiler

stand mixer

blender

coffee maker

toaster

plus various fruit and veggie bowls, cutting boards, mortar and pestle, knife block, salt and pepper, and a mug that holds my can opener, sharpies, and chopsticks. I LIKE being able to reach things efficiently in one step but the visual clutter is not desirable. 

Ive had two manual can openers over the last 30 years. I replaced the first because I took it somewhere and forgot it there. When I bought it it said it was the kind used in space. That seemed a good endorsement to my 19-year-old self, but doesn’t seem quite true now. It was a reliable can opener and it’s replacement has been working fine. I DID just recently learn to turn it sideways, but that’s a whole other thread. ?

You need an insinkerator.  They are FANTASTIC!  I can't live without one and neither can DH now.  In fact, when it needed replacing, DH is the one who went out immediately and got a new one!  

And they stay off your countertop!

https://www.amazon.com/InSinkErator-H-HOT100-Instant-Dispenser-Stainless/dp/B00ZC5QRCI/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen-bath&ie=UTF8&qid=1537023825&sr=1-4&keywords=insinkerator+hot+water+dispenser

Edited by DawnM

12 minutes ago, DawnM said:

You need an insinkerator.  They are FANTASTIC!  I can't live without one and neither can DH now.  In fact, when it needed replacing, DH is the one who went out immediately and got a new one!  

And they stay off your countertop!

https://www.amazon.com/InSinkErator-H-HOT100-Instant-Dispenser-Stainless/dp/B00ZC5QRCI/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen-bath&ie=UTF8&qid=1537023825&sr=1-4&keywords=insinkerator+hot+water+dispenser

I’ve thought about it, but I haven’t had good experiences with them at other people’s homes. Mainly, they dispense too slowly and the temperature isn’t right. I imagine these are personal settings that I could change, but I’m a little afraid to risk it when I already love my Zojirushi. My last one lasted 12 years and I expect the same from my current one. We also switch the temps for different teas and that might not be convenient if the unit is under the sink. I WILL end up putting junk in front of it. It’s a little crazy in those bottom cabinets. Still, I do contemplate trying one out one day. ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’ve thought about it, but I haven’t had good experiences with them at other people’s homes. Mainly, they dispense too slowly and the temperature isn’t right. I imagine these are personal settings that I could change, but I’m a little afraid to risk it when I already love my Zojirushi. My last one lasted 12 years and I expect the same from my current one. We also switch the temps for different teas and that might not be convenient if the unit is under the sink. I WILL end up putting junk in front of it. It’s a little crazy in those bottom cabinets. Still, I do contemplate trying one out one day. ? 

Yeah, you can set it to the temp you want.  I guess I wouldn't mind a countertop model IF I had the space, but I really don't.  And knowing me, I would forget to fill it, or is it attached to your waterline?  This one is attached.

3 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Yeah, you can set it to the temp you want.  I guess I wouldn't mind a countertop model IF I had the space, but I really don't.  And knowing me, I would forget to fill it, or is it attached to your waterline?  This one is attached.

No. I have to fill it. This is the main I sinkerator attraction to me. 

50 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

No. I have to fill it. This is the main I sinkerator attraction to me. 

I don't know anything about changing the temps.  We just keep it at around 190-200 all the time.  Not boiling.  We don't want it boiling.   But you can set it to boiling.

7 hours ago, DawnM said:

I don't know anything about changing the temps.  We just keep it at around 190-200 all the time.  Not boiling.  We don't want it boiling.   But you can set it to boiling.

That’s the tricky part. We’re tea people and tea tastes different at different temperatures. We switch it for green, white, or black tea and the zojirushi has presets for these temperatures. There are, at a bare minimum, 6 cups of tea made every day. Most days it’s closer to ten. We do realize we have a problem. ?

this may sound like blasphemy, but I think the coffee maker is going to lose its spot on the counter. The coffee drinkers have been using the French press with the zojirushi almost exclusively. I think we only use the real coffee pot when we have company. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

That’s the tricky part. We’re tea people and tea tastes different at different temperatures. We switch it for green, white, or black tea and the zojirushi has presets for these temperatures. There are, at a bare minimum, 6 cups of tea made every day. Most days it’s closer to ten. We do realize we have a problem. ?

this may sound like blasphemy, but I think the coffee maker is going to lose its spot on the counter. The coffee drinkers have been using the French press with the zojirushi almost exclusively. I think we only use the real coffee pot when we have company. 

I don't have a drip pot on my counter.  I do have my espresso machine and use it daily.  And I have a french press.

I don't own one because I seriously CAN NOT figure out how to work one. 

I am a college educated, reasonably well coordinated grown ass woman and I have never, ever been able to open a can with an electric can opener.  I'll take this shame to my grave.  ?

We have two vintage hand ones that are perfect.  One for home and one for the camping supplies.  

Edited by LucyStoner