Menu

Meningococcal Vaccination Websites with useful info to help make a decision?

Bambam

Colleges require students to get this vaccine. But, in our state, you have the option to file an exemption every two years. 

So, what sites would you recommend for a student to do their research to determine what they want to do?

Student will be living in on-campus housing - individual bedrooms (3) and shared bathroom facilities between three roommates. No kitchen facilities so all food will be cafeteria or commercial restaurants on campus.  

We are limited vaxxers, and this is not one I would skip for a student living on campus. Our pediatrician was very mellow with us limiting vaccines and he practically begged me to to the meningitis vaccine for my son as he was graduating high school. In fact my son’s college currently has a female student who tested positive for meningitis and was hospitalized. The entire sorority system was in a panic because she had rushed for several sororities. There were 5 hour long lines of students trying to get preventative antibiotics and the vaccine. 

• Like 6

I have two kids in college and one in high school and they all have the meningococcal vaccine as well as the new meningococcal B vaccine.

I found a lot of information just by googling. The CDC website is good.

Here's an article about the meningococcal B vaccine:

https://www.today.com/health/meningitis-outbreaks-college-symptoms-causes-vaccines-t135920

• Like 4

The fact that it has such a high mortality rate and that it gets bad so quickly before people can get treatment makes it a no-brainer for me.

Adding info from CDC

Complications

Even with antibiotic treatment, 10 to 15 in 100 people infected with meningococcal disease will die. About 11 to 19 in 100 survivors will have long-term disabilities, such as loss of limb(s), deafness, nervous system problems, or brain damage.

It's also on a list of diseases that can kill within 24 hours.

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 7

Steer him towards evidence based medicine, please.  Maybe even watching some videos on how vaccinations work might be helpful or even about what life was like pre-vaccinations.  Of course, I wish most things talked about the smallpox inoculation that was done in both Ottoman Turkey and China long before Jenner....but whatever.  (Google: Lady Montagu) 

I second the CDC.

PubMed.com if he wants to read peer-reviewed journal articles.

• Like 4

My older kids have had two meningitis vaccines.  The common one and a specific one for an outbreak near us last year.  It turned out that my kid’s doctor was working the Emergency room the night that the kid with the more rare strain came in.  He was extremely paranoid about people who were on college campuses in our area getting sick.  

Since my kids (and me) are not the best at telling when something is a cold or more serious, this was a risk I didn’t feel was a good idea to take.

• Like 3

In the summer of 2016, the night before my birthday, my 12 yr old son went to bed healthy and happy.  We were staying at a hotel on a mini vacation.  First night.  Had not even been to the pool, he was looking forward to that.

He woke me at 5:30 and said he thought he was dying.  He thought he had the Plague.  Guess what we had studied the year before?

It wasn’t Plague, it was meningitis.  ?

We could have lost him.

I would never skip that vaccine.

• Sad 8

Around here all you have to read is the newspaper. With two universities in the area, the meningitis outbreaks seem to happen in one or the other school every year. Recently they have been meningitis B. One student survived but lost limbs and his life-after-meningitis story was also in the newspaper. My college-bound kid is vaccinated for both, and her pediatrician says they push for B as well as A for kids going to school here--B is technically optional but it's a really good idea to have it.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Plum Crazy said:

Health Officials Confident After 1,800 San Diego State Students Treated To Prevent Meningitis

Health officials believe they have treated all San Diego State University students who may have been in contact with a classmate who was hospitalized for bacterial meningitis last week. The school, with help from the county, administered preventative antibiotics to 1,840 students.

Yup. My son is at SDSU. Luckily they caught it pretty quickly. But it can spread so fast, it's really scary.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Around here all you have to read is the newspaper. With two universities in the area, the meningitis outbreaks seem to happen in one or the other school every year. Recently they have been meningitis B. One student survived but lost limbs and his life-after-meningitis story was also in the newspaper. My college-bound kid is vaccinated for both, and her pediatrician says they push for B as well as A for kids going to school here--B is technically optional but it's a really good idea to have it.

Yes.

We just got a notice last week from DS19's university that there had been a confirmed case of meningococcemia, which is apparently caused by the same bacteria that causes meningitis. This is serious stuff. People die, and they die quickly. My SIL lost one of her best friends in a matter of hours when she was a young adult. No offense to the OP or anyone else, but I do not understand why anyone would hesitate one second over getting these vaccines. Both of our boys have had both vaccinations. Their pediatrician was pretty laid back about vaccines and timing, but this was one he pretty much insisted on.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 4

My grandma still talks about her brother's girlfriend who went to bed with a sore neck after they'd had a motorcycle date. Everyone thought they'd been in a minor accident and didn't want to tell anyone about it (nagging moms saying "I told you to be careful on that contraption!", or even forbidding future dates). So her family decided to give her privacy and didn't check on her in the night. She was dead by morning. This was probably before the vaccine was available. I just think that's too freaky to even consider messing with.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Thank you, everyone, for your stories and links.

At this age, I let my kids make this decision themselves. I will certainly let my opinion be known, but as part as the transition to adulthood, they start researching and taking responsibility for their medical decisions - with parental input (like I could stop myself on this issue, I'm not that good at biting my tongue!), of course. But I do want to make sure they have plenty of sources for their research. 

• Like 1

Make sure he understands that, in the event of an ourbreak, unimmunized students may be excluded not only from housing but from classes. I have seen that explicitly stated on waivers. If it does not state anything on the waiver, he should call and ask what happens if there is an outbreak. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, katilac said:

Make sure he understands that, in the event of an ourbreak, unimmunized students may be excluded not only from housing but from classes. I have seen that explicitly stated on waivers. If it does not state anything on the waiver, he should call and ask what happens if there is an outbreak. 

Good to know! I did not know this.