Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Tap

Bees wax candles? Where to buy?

I want to buy dd some for Christmas for her new home. Any suggestions on where to buy/what to look for? 

http://stjohnsbookstore.com/handmade-beeswax-candles/how-to-order-bulk-candles/

if you get the 7/8” candles, they fit standard holders.  They have 11.5 and 18”   

And if you snoop around on the website you can find smaller units than pounds with a 5 pound minimum.  But for my money, I get bulk.  I use the more slender candles in a container with at least an inch of sand or salt in it.  

• Like 3

I have purchased the more slender taper candles from where Patty Joanna purchase hers (it's within driving distance for me, so no shipping), but I have also purchased pillar types from this Etsy shop and it was lovely --> https://www.etsy.com/shop/AmberLBeeswaxCandles . I feel like if it's 100% beeswax, you really can't go wrong.  What I don't like is when the candle is made up of rolled beeswax sheets, though.  Those may not even be real beeswax, I don't know.  They look cheesy to me.  

Edited by milovany
  • Like 1

YAY!!! This was exactly what I was looking for.  I think I am going to order some for our family Christmas gift exchange as well...so two presents are now crossed off my list!! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tap said:

YAY!!! This was exactly what I was looking for.  I think I am going to order some for our family Christmas gift exchange as well...so two presents are now crossed off my list!! 

If you're ordering from St. John Monastery, throw some Cucumber Aloe intensive face cream into the cart!  It's thick and rick and not greasy -- totally yum.  It's all I use and will ever use on my face.  I don't love the hand lotion as much because it has more of the greasy feel that I don't like. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, milovany said:

If you're ordering from St. John Monastery, throw some Cucumber Aloe intensive face cream into the cart!  It's thick and rick and not greasy -- totally yum.  It's all I use and will ever use on my face.  I don't love the hand lotion as much because it has more of the greasy feel that I don't like. 

I don't see that as an option at this link.  Maybe a different St John Monastery? 

1 minute ago, Liz CA said:

I usually divide my orders between St. John's and "Quiet Light Candles" https://quietlightcandles.com/password

Their website is being redone at the moment.

Price is almost identical - one charges more for candles and less for shipping, the other vice versa.

LOL quite the timing. I was literally on the Quiet Light website when you responded. I was debating on whether or not to put my email address in to get notified when they come back on line when my computer chimed to say there was a post in the thread. LOL

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Tap said:

I don't see that as an option at this link.  Maybe a different St John Monastery? 

Oh! Patty Joanna's St. John's IS a different one from the one I was thinking of.  Here's the one I was thinking of:  https://stjohnmonastery.org/all-departments/

Edited by milovany
  • Like 1

The last place (not one listed here) that I ordered 100% beeswax candles from, had a very strong pesticide smell to them.  It was so bad, that I had to return them.  I am quite positive it was pesticides because it was the smell of what my Dad would spray on his garden. ? Then shortly after I returned the candles, the landscapers in the community we live were spraying and it was the same exact smell that was in the candles.  I am very sensitive to smells and immediatley recognized it was like the candles had smelled.  I had ordered from the same place a couple of years ealier and the candles were fine then.  Anyways, I look forward to ordering from a new monastery in hopes the candles will have that nice honey, beeswax smell.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Iron Jenny Flint said:

The last place (not one listed here) that I ordered 100% beeswax candles from, had a very strong pesticide smell to them.  It was so bad, that I had to return them.  I am quite positive it was pesticides because it was the smell of what my Dad would spray on his garden. ? Then shortly after I returned the candles, the landscapers in the community we live were spraying and it was the same exact smell that was in the candles.  I am very sensitive to smells and immediatley recognized it was like the candles had smelled.  I had ordered from the same place a couple of years ealier and the candles were fine then.  Anyways, I look forward to ordering from a new monastery in hopes the candles will have that nice honey, beeswax smell.

They do!  The drawer in which I keep making me smells like honey.  :0)

• Like 2

A couple of fun things to know about beeswax candles:

You can decorate them with paint--the "craft acrylic" in the little bottles that they sell at Michael's etc.  

You can decorate them with beads; you just use the beading pins (after you cut them short) to attach the bead to the candle.

They don't smoke and if they are relatively level, they don't drip.  They leave behind a good smell.  If you get the skinny candles, you can fill a container with sand or salt and use them that way (instead of searching the earth for a skinny candle stand).  

Different makers use different wick sizes...if the wick is thick, the candle will burn very bright, and much faster.  To my mind, for home use, the St. John Monastery (Manton, CA) candles have the right size wick for use in my home. When I get baptismal candles, I might get an 18" one from a different monastery with a thicker wick because it burns so brightly in the church, but it's overkill for home use.  

There are other natural-product candles, like soy or palm oil, and they seem not to smoke.  But they don't smell like honey, and I am so dang sensitive that soy candles just don't work at ALL for me.  Palm oil seems to be OK, so sometimes I use those for tea lights to save a little cash.  I don't think the monastery makes "bulk" tea lights.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

You can decorate them with beads; you just use the beading pins (after you cut them short) to attach the bead to the candle.

A small thing, but just wanted to mention that we don't use a pin when putting beads on a candle.  We just push them in with our fingernails. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

http://stjohnsbookstore.com/handmade-beeswax-candles/how-to-order-bulk-candles/

if you get the 7/8” candles, they fit standard holders.  They have 11.5 and 18”   

And if you snoop around on the website you can find smaller units than pounds with a 5 pound minimum.  But for my money, I get bulk.  I use the more slender candles in a container with at least an inch of sand or salt in it.  

When I asked this, she ^^^ gave me this same hot tip. And I love them!!

• Like 2