Menu

Anyone Want to Chat About College Apps/Decisions?

JazzyMom

17 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

I wish I could say that emails and mass mailings were widely perceived as advertising, but I think a sizable portion of the recipients and their families read more into them than they should.

We knew, before this began, that DD would probably receive a huge amount of emails and that 99% of them would be deleted quickly. But, I told her, "occasionally, you might get something of interest", and that has been the case. That's why she created the email address she is using for the emails from schools and scholarships, etc.  The only school she has applied to, that was not "on the Radar", a long time ago, was Tulane, and that was in fact because of them contacting her, so their advertising paid off with her as an EA applicant.  

Some (a very few) of the emails she received should have been edited by someone above the level of the person whose name was on the email. In particular, I remember one from a woman in a University of Minnesota campus.  And, on the other end, several that were very compelling and that we checked out, very thoroughly, because of Honors College, etc. One written by a Ph.D. in a School or College at  Texas A&M University.   That wasn't the right Major for my DD, but it was compelling... If it had been a different Major, of interest to my DD, she would have been on that, ASAP. 

Edited by Lanny
change "their" to "them

• 2 weeks later...

DS has been waiting not so patiently for his early action decision from Knox (supposed to be here by today at the latest. They don't update the portal until a few days after they mail out letters for some reason). A few days ago I read about informed delivery from the USPS on College Confidential--where they send you pictures every morning of all the mail that's coming that day--and I signed up for it. So yesterday morning it showed an envelope from the Knox admission office. But just that: a plain white envelope that did not look at all like an acceptance package. Our mail has been coming SUPER late lately, so DS spent the entire day fretting that it had to be a rejection letter and had to go off to perform in a play yesterday evening before it came. He got home at 10 and finally opened it......it's a holiday card. Uhh, very thoughtful, Knox, but maybe not the right time of year to be sending out small white envelopes! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, kokotg said:

A few days ago I read about informed delivery from the USPS on College Confidential--where they send you pictures every morning of all the mail that's coming that day--and I signed up for it. So yesterday morning it showed an envelope from the Knox admission office. But just that: a plain white envelope that did not look at all like an acceptance package.

None of DD's acceptance packages showed up in informed delivery because they are oversized (big) envelopes. Some areas of the country have the equipment to scan those, but not ours. So, almost every day ID says, "and other mail that we don't have an image for" which is everything from catalogs to ads to college spam mail. I hope he hears something today!

• Like 3

On 12/4/2018 at 7:27 AM, Lanny said:

We knew, before this began, that DD would probably receive a huge amount of emails and that 99% of them would be deleted quickly. But, I told her, "occasionally, you might get something of interest", and that has been the case. That's why she created the email address she is using for the emails from schools and scholarships, etc.  The only school she has applied to, that was not "on the Radar", a long time ago, was Tulane, and that was in fact because of them contacting her, so their advertising paid off with her as an EA applicant.  

Some (a very few) of the emails she received should have been edited by someone above the level of the person whose name was on the email. In particular, I remember one from a woman in a University of Minnesota campus.  And, on the other end, several that were very compelling and that we checked out, very thoroughly, because of Honors College, etc. One written by a Ph.D. in a School or College at  Texas A&M University.   That wasn't the right Major for my DD, but it was compelling... If it had been a different Major, of interest to my DD, she would have been on that, ASAP. 

I agree that the emails can be helpful in bringing a school to the student's attention.  My comment about reading more into them was about concluding that the emails indicate a student is an especially strong potential applicant who is being specificly courted by the college.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

I agree that the emails can be helpful in bringing a school to the student's attention.  My comment about reading more into them was about concluding that the emails indicate a student is an especially strong potential applicant who is being specifically courted by the college.

Yes. This is a crap shoot.   My DD is primarily applying to very selective universities, with lots of $ in Financial Aid available.  I watched a video of a prominent university, a couple of months ago, showing a meeting where their Admissions Committee votes on applicants. I forget which university it was.   Someone presents, verbally, some information about the student (I assume those who vote can see that information in their laptops or something too) and they vote and it is over, for that applicant, in 2  minutes. That assumes that an Admissions Counselor wants to present the student to the committee.  

• Like 1

There was a post in a thread here on WTM, probably some months ago, that pointed out how 2 students, both with seemingly identical and stellar stats and applications, applying to the same university, one is accepted and the other one is not accepted. Why that happens is a mystery that I explain to my DD as, "If they need a Tuba Player and a Tuba Player submits an application, the Tuba Player is accepted".  In this process, it is not only the Stats and the Essays, but maybe something akin to being a Tuba Player on the application that gets their attention.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2018 at 12:39 PM, Lanny said:

There was a post in a thread here on WTM, probably some months ago, that pointed out how 2 students, both with seemingly identical and stellar stats and applications, applying to the same university, one is accepted and the other one is not accepted. Why that happens is a mystery that I explain to my DD as, "If they need a Tuba Player and a Tuba Player submits an application, the Tuba Player is accepted".  In this process, it is not only the Stats and the Essays, but maybe something akin to being a Tuba Player on the application that gets their attention.

I think it is also keeping in mind that while applications might be if similar quality, they may not actually be identical. Essays, activities, and recommendations may make one student stand out from another. 

• Like 5

So, I don't really want to start a new thread on this, but hoping someone will weigh in on the 'midterm report.'

DD's transcript is not broken up by semester. It only shows end of year grades (or end of semester grades for 0.5 credit courses). So, I'm planning on including a cover sheet with the semester grades for the year-long classes and include her new GPA. Do I calculate her midterm GPA including all the grades so far (including the 1st semester * 1/2 credit grades)? Or just include the GPA for the classes that are done? Or not recalculate the GPA at all? [I am splitting hairs here, I realize, since the difference is 0.01 for both weighted & unweighted. I am also tempted to just truncate (not round) the GPA to the tenths place & call it good.]

Opinions?

2 hours ago, RootAnn said:

So, I don't really want to start a new thread on this, but hoping someone will weigh in on the 'midterm report.'

DD's transcript is not broken up by semester. It only shows end of year grades (or end of semester grades for 0.5 credit courses). So, I'm planning on including a cover sheet with the semester grades for the year-long classes and include her new GPA. Do I calculate her midterm GPA including all the grades so far (including the 1st semester * 1/2 credit grades)? Or just include the GPA for the classes that are done? Or not recalculate the GPA at all? [I am splitting hairs here, I realize, since the difference is 0.01 for both weighted & unweighted. I am also tempted to just truncate (not round) the GPA to the tenths place & call it good.]

Opinions?

I am glad you brought up this topic. DD requested to have her dual enrollment CC transcripts sent to all of the schools requiring mid year reports but one asked not only for a mid year report but also a mid year transcript what is the difference. As she is dual enrolled with a public high, she also going to request that her counselor send her high school transcript with last semester’s grades but TBH I am not sure what is really being asked for. 

• Thanks 1

I have similar questions! DS's DE university charges $5/transcript to send them out, and he's applied to 15 schools. He's had them sent to every school, but for the midyear report I was planning to just make a copy of it and upload along with his combined transcript (the one I made)....is that good enough, or will I be out another $75?!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kokotg said:

I have similar questions! DS's DE university charges $5/transcript to send them out, and he's applied to 15 schools. He's had them sent to every school, but for the midyear report I was planning to just make a copy of it and upload along with his combined transcript (the one I made)....is that good enough, or will I be out another $75?!

Ha! I'm planning on being cheap on this, too. I've downloaded DD's unofficial DE transcript and plan on combining mt cover page w/midyear grades for year-long classes (plus updated gpa?), updated transcript, and the DE transcript as one (three page) PDF. But what do I know!? That's why I'm asking here. (Y'all are making me feel better about asking because I felt pretty dumb. Thanks.)

• Like 1

How do you know if the college wants a midyear report? I haven’t seen anything specific about wanting one, but maybe we haven’t looked in the right place.

RootAnn, I think I would recalculate the GPA using semester grades. My thought process is that that is indeed the GPA at that midyear moment in time.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Penguin said:

How do you know if the college wants a midyear report? I haven’t seen anything specific about wanting one, but maybe we haven’t looked in the right place.

RootAnn, I think I would recalculate the GPA using semester grades. My thought process is that that is indeed the GPA at that midyear moment in time.

If you used the common app, the counselor section will tell you which schools require a mid-year report. 

• Thanks 1

Another question: DS enrolled in a biology class at a community college this past semester (different college from the one where he's done his other DE classes), stayed in it for 2 classes, and then withdrew mostly for scheduling reasons (we're doing bio at home instead). That's the only class he ever enrolled in there, but now he has a transcript from them with the one "W" on it. Does he need to submit that transcript to the places he's applying? Should I stick that one in my pdf of assorted transcripts for the mid-year report and explain what it is in a cover letter? I've heard that there's some way colleges know if there's a transcript out there; I don't want them to think he's hiding anything. 

55 minutes ago, kokotg said:

If you used the common app, the counselor section will tell you which schools require a mid-year report. 

Does it also show a due date for the midyear report? I don’t have access to that screen because we use an umbrella school and the advisor uploaded all the counselor stuff.

Regarding your other question, is it an actual W? If yes, I think you need to include it. But there is typically a drop/add period before a W would occur. 

Edited by Penguin

3 hours ago, kokotg said:

Also, if your kid has a portal (login) for each school, they will sometimes show a list of items they want & indicate the ones they've received. So, since @Penguin, you don't have access to the CA, your kid will need to check the portals for each school. (Easier to ask the umbrella school counselor to look, though.)

@kokotg I don't know, but hope someone else does.

2 hours ago, Penguin said:

Does it also show a due date for the midyear report? I don’t have access to that screen because we use an umbrella school and the advisor uploaded all the counselor stuff.

Regarding your other question, is it an actual W? If yes, I think you need to include it. But there is typically a drop/add period before a W would occur. 

It's an actual W....he withdrew the day after drop/add ended 😞

• 2 weeks later...

We were up late last night not because we were celebrating, but because my DD wanted to get her final apps in yesterday (even though they weren't due until today or tomorrow). A unique way to ring in the New Year lol! She submitted applications to 4 schools last night, all needing individual supplements/essays, and some needing two of them. At a certain point it all began to swim before our eyes! She's applied to 12 schools altogether - 1 ED (rejected), 3 EA (her safeties, accepted to all), 1 rolling (accepted) and now 7 schools regular decision. All her RD schools are very selective, so while she's got good stats it's hard to say what's going to happen. But she is so relieved to have this part of the process behind her - now it's just waiting.

She's convinced that she's not getting into any of the selective schools - I think she has a decent shot at getting into at least some of them, but who knows. She was accepted to all of her safeties with good merit scholarships, and they are all safeties that she would be willing to attend (so important!!). So she'll have somewhere great to go next year, and that's what really matters.

Last kid, last time for this. I'm relieved as well! Such an exhausting process.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kirag714 said:

We were up late last night not because we were celebrating, but because my DD wanted to get her final apps in yesterday (even though they weren't due until today or tomorrow). A unique way to ring in the New Year lol! She submitted applications to 4 schools last night, all needing individual supplements/essays, and some needing two of them. At a certain point it all began to swim before our eyes! She's applied to 12 schools altogether - 1 ED (rejected), 3 EA (her safeties, accepted to all), 1 rolling (accepted) and now 7 schools regular decision. All her RD schools are very selective, so while she's got good stats it's hard to say what's going to happen. But she is so relieved to have this part of the process behind her - now it's just waiting.

She's convinced that she's not getting into any of the selective schools - I think she has a decent shot at getting into at least some of them, but who knows. She was accepted to all of her safeties with good merit scholarships, and they are all safeties that she would be willing to attend (so important!!). So she'll have somewhere great to go next year, and that's what really matters.

Last kid, last time for this. I'm relieved as well! Such an exhausting process.

We've got a lot of the same stuff going on here. He's in at his 3 safeties EA (and I think all of them are great options), but he's super nervous about all his RD schools. And I've never done this before, so I honestly have no idea how it's going to go down. I think he has a good shot just about everywhere (okay, maybe not Harvard) and will almost certainly get into a few of them, but who knows? 

He decided to add Emory to the list at the last second and finished that app up last night. I think he was feeling nervous about not having anywhere except UGA close to home. We'd cut it off the list awhile back because they "request" three subject tests from homeschoolers, and he only has two. But it very specifically says request and not require (it uses the word require on the same page about letters of recommendation from non-family, so....we figure the worst that happens is he doesn't get in and we'll never know if it's because of the missing subject test or not. Plus I'm cranky about the subject test thing anyway; he has a ton of DE, AP scores, and other test scores to prove that his homeschool transcript is legit. And Emory is the ONLY school he's applied to with that "request"; they're thinking a little too much of themselves, IMO. That said, I'm going to have my 9th grader take every subject test that makes sense so he has plenty to submit if he runs into something similar.

Anyway, that makes SIXTEEN schools total, which is probably completely ridiculous, but he couldn't seem to stop once he started. He still has at least 4 more alumni or phone interviews, and he has to do a presentation at a scholarship weekend in February and fill out at least one more scholarship app that he was invited to apply for. It never ends! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kokotg said:

We've got a lot of the same stuff going on here. He's in at his 3 safeties EA (and I think all of them are great options), but he's super nervous about all his RD schools. And I've never done this before, so I honestly have no idea how it's going to go down. I think he has a good shot just about everywhere (okay, maybe not Harvard) and will almost certainly get into a few of them, but who knows? 

He decided to add Emory to the list at the last second and finished that app up last night. I think he was feeling nervous about not having anywhere except UGA close to home. We'd cut it off the list awhile back because they "request" three subject tests from homeschoolers, and he only has two. But it very specifically says request and not require (it uses the word require on the same page about letters of recommendation from non-family, so....we figure the worst that happens is he doesn't get in and we'll never know if it's because of the missing subject test or not. Plus I'm cranky about the subject test thing anyway; he has a ton of DE, AP scores, and other test scores to prove that his homeschool transcript is legit. And Emory is the ONLY school he's applied to with that "request"; they're thinking a little too much of themselves, IMO. That said, I'm going to have my 9th grader take every subject test that makes sense so he has plenty to submit if he runs into something similar.

Anyway, that makes SIXTEEN schools total, which is probably completely ridiculous, but he couldn't seem to stop once he started. He still has at least 4 more alumni or phone interviews, and he has to do a presentation at a scholarship weekend in February and fill out at least one more scholarship app that he was invited to apply for. It never ends! 

Wow! Her list was up to 17 at one point, but she was able to cut back. And I think one more supplement would literally put her over the edge at this point. 

She does have at least one interview scheduled, with a couple of other ones possible (they are request only after the application is submitted). And we are visiting a few schools in the next few months as well. But such a relief to have this part done.

I'd be very curious to see your list of schools if you are willing to share it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kirag714 said:

Wow! Her list was up to 17 at one point, but she was able to cut back. And I think one more supplement would literally put her over the edge at this point. 

She does have at least one interview scheduled, with a couple of other ones possible (they are request only after the application is submitted). And we are visiting a few schools in the next few months as well. But such a relief to have this part done.

I'd be very curious to see your list of schools if you are willing to share it!

Sure. Some of them got on the list specifically because they don't have supplementals 🙂  (and/or application fees): UGA, Hendrix, Knox, Williams, Hamilton, Colby, Vassar, Wesleyan, Grinnell, Carleton, St. Olaf, Macalester, Emory, Oberlin, Kenyon, Harvard

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kokotg said:

Sure. Some of them got on the list specifically because they don't have supplementals 🙂  (and/or application fees): UGA, Hendrix, Knox, Williams, Hamilton, Colby, Vassar, Wesleyan, Grinnell, Carleton, St. Olaf, Macalester, Emory, Oberlin, Kenyon, Harvard

There are a few overlaps with us lol: Clark, Pitt, Lawrence, & Fordham (her safeties); now Franklin & Marshall, Hamilton, Wesleyan, Vassar, NYU, Barnard & Dartmouth. Swarthmore was her ED.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kirag714 said:

There are a few overlaps with us lol: Clark, Pitt, Lawrence, & Fordham (her safeties); now Franklin & Marshall, Hamilton, Wesleyan, Vassar, NYU, Barnard & Dartmouth. Swarthmore was her ED.

Nice--we can fret together come March 🙂 . We visited Hamilton and Vassar last summer, and he really liked them (especially Hamilton, but I think a lot of that is because he happened to have a tour guide with a ton of overlapping interests. Also because it was so pretty). Wesleyan was a late add because it doesn't have supplemental essays--but I do think he would probably have liked it if we'd made it there. It seems like a good fit on paper anyway.

• Like 1

Well, our "white knuckle" roller coaster ride of admission/acceptance for transfer from the CC (fall 2018) to the local university (spring 2019) *appears* to be rolling to a successful completion. [Let the rollercoaster ride of starting at the university begin!] 😆

DS had a temporary curveball thrown at him in late November. After being accepted by the university, he was offered the opportunity to apply for a paid summer internship! The only problem is that he would have to be a full-time student this spring at the *CC* to be eligible, which would have meant deferring admission to the university. After weighing the pros and cons, he regretfully declined, as he feels the "pros" of being at the university will outweigh the not-a-guaranteed internship.

Another curveball is that DS is coming in to the university under a new catalog, which was going to require him taking TWO gen Eds at the university, in spite of his large stack of gen eds from the CC and from his BA degree. Fortunately if he takes ONE more very specific type of gen. ed. course at the CC, it will complete the CC/university transfer agreement. And the university will still count him as full-time if he takes the rest of his coursework this spring at the university.

So the upshot is that DS WILL be heading to the university, taking just 1 last class at the CC, and will be trying to juggle a VERY full load of a total of 14 credits + working 25 hours/week.

Tomorrow DS has his transfer student appointment to actually get signed up for classes, and he starts at the University on Wednesday!

Wishing all of you who are still in the thick of the white-knuckle ride of college applications/decisions for 2019 all the very BEST! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 14

8 hours ago, MerryAtHope said:

Wow, that's terrific @Lori D.! I hope it goes well! (And I've been learning a lot over Christmas break about transfer schools wanting not just any gen-eds, but some very specific ones, despite transfer agreements, for certain majors! Thankfully we're early enough for dd to make things work out!)

Whew -- glad you are able to work out some of the kinks in advance for DD. Will she be transferring some time next year? What is she thinking of majoring in? How exciting -- keep us updated! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Whew -- glad you are able to work out some of the kinks in advance for DD. Will she be transferring some time next year? What is she thinking of majoring in? How exciting -- keep us updated! Warmest regards, Lori D.

She switched from Pre-nursing to Elementary Ed! So...either 19 or 23 of her first 33 credits will still apply (waiting to hear on one of the courses). Second semester last year was just the CNA course, which is 8 credits that don't transfer (we knew that when she took it though)--but since no other courses play nice with how that one schedules, it was her only class in the spring. (That turned out to be a blessing in disguise because my mom broke her ankle and injured her shoulder in a fall around the time dd finished up the CNA course with 8 weeks of the semester left--so she went to take care of Grandma instead of going to work right away!) Anyway--I had asked her to go in to an adviser before the Fall semester ended to see if we were on the right track with choosing classes, & they thankfully alerted us to the issues with Gen-eds and how much it can vary per school for this major. I spent hours and hours then looking at several state schools & a couple of privates, seeing what they required and how they would handle transfers in that department specifically--a few things still aren't 100% clear from the school site or Transferology, so I told her let's go in together to her adviser so that hopefully everything she's registered for now will be okay--and then get in a school visit and touch base with the school that seems to stand out right now. Even among the state schools they had enough variance in their requirements to kind of be a pain, though thankfully most courses would be the same. But an extra class or two there vs. at the CC is expensive! I'd like her to do all she can locally! 

We're not sure if she can transfer for Fall 2020 or Spring 2021--once we figure out all the "if-then" scenarios, we'll know better! (For example, she could actually end up with more than enough credits for an Associate's degree yet not qualify for one because of the required courses to transfer--it's goofy! I think that's okay though, but want to make sure there isn't a difference in how things transfer with or without it, or other cons we should think of.) 

DS may switch gears and go into coding, which of course would mean a bunch of his classes wouldn't be what he'd need towards a bachelor's either, so he could have 3 years of work. He's still on his gap year and figuring things out though! I know our pace is a bit slower than some, but it's working and I told them that's okay! 

• Like 4

On 1/1/2019 at 5:37 PM, kokotg said:

We have some overlaps also: Grinnell, Carleton, St. Olaf, and Macalester. March is going to be interesting. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard from the reach school - DS is 8 for 8 with acceptances!  I am just in shock, and I am so so thankful! 

So now we wait for final financial packages...  I know a couple of the schools offer very little merit, but there are a few where I think some additional scholarships will come thru.

Dh got a nice promotion in December that allows us to expand our budget a bit, and I am just blown away at how everything is coming together.

I am just beyond thankful.  Just praising God.  He is so good!

Edited by JazzyMom
  • Like 7

How are things going?  All applications in?  Supplements?  Interviews?

We received an application for a scholarship for a local alumi association for one of the schools, so ds requested letter of recs for that, and I think (hope) that’s the end of it.

Feeling very antsy about getting financial info back so ds can make a decision.  Hoping he has a final decision by March 31.  I will lose it if he waits until the May 1 deadline.

30 minutes ago, JazzyMom said:

How are things going?  All applications in?  Supplements?  Interviews?

We received an application for a scholarship for a local alumi association for one of the schools, so ds requested letter of recs for that, and I think (hope) that’s the end of it.

Feeling very antsy about getting financial info back so ds can make a decision.  Hoping he has a final decision by March 31.  I will lose it if he waits until the May 1 deadline.

Waiting for financial aid is so stressful! One of DS's EA schools sent it right after the acceptance; the other one took more than a month!

I thought he'd have downtime right now--all the apps are in, all the interviews that he knows about are finished (there are a couple of schools that might contact him for an interview still)....but it seems like pretty much every day someone contacts him from some school or other wanting to know AGAIN if they can answer any questions for him. I don't think he would have applied to college at all if he'd known how many phone conversations would be involved 🙂 (or he only would have applied to big, impersonal universities instead of all these tiny liberal arts colleges). And he's going to a scholarship weekend at Hendrix next month, so he's working on his presentation for that. And he just got an e-mail from Grinnell today inviting him to upload a short "why Grinnell?" essay. He pretty much knew that was coming from reading past college confidential threads. Just 100 words, so not a big deal, but....it never ends!

• Like 3

We are traveling to 5 music auditions from Feb 2 to March 1.  Let the games begin!   He had 1 music audition before the holidays.  Kid has 3 academic acceptances and is considering BA programs too (and BM programs) so everything is still on the table.   He recently got invited to Saint Olaf for music auditions and is SO happy with that.  Saint Olaf has gotten super competitive for music.  

My kid is SO done with essay writing.  But I have to say he has gotten very efficient at cranking out a reasonable essay.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

We are traveling to 5 music auditions from Feb 2 to March 1.  Let the games begin!   He had 1 music audition before the holidays.  Kid has 3 academic acceptances and is considering BA programs too (and BM programs) so everything is still on the table.   He recently got invited to Saint Olaf for music auditions and is SO happy with that.  Saint Olaf has gotten super competitive for music.  

My kid is SO done with essay writing.  But I have to say he has gotten very efficient at cranking out a reasonable essay.  

My 9th grader is thinking of majoring in music, so I'd love to hear how auditions go....DS17 applied to St Olaf, so we may be checking it out over spring break; if we do we'll multi task and check out the music stuff with DS15, too.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 1:33 PM, Lori D. said:

...the upshot is that DS WILL be heading to the university, taking just 1 last class at the CC, and will be trying to juggle a VERY full load of a total of 14 credits + working 25 hours/week. Tomorrow DS has his transfer student appointment to actually get signed up for classes, and he starts at the University on Wednesday!

Yea! He's started his semester (this is his second full week of classes), so he has successfully transferred!

He has 11 credits (4 classes) at the university, 3 credits (1 class) at the CC. The CC class is finishing off the required gen. ed.s -- it is an all online course AND it is an accelerated course that is scheduled for the first half of the semester, so he'll be done with it by mid-March. That will make the last half of this spring semester go even more smoothly!

One last small hiccup:
Because DS has been working, he's had to slow down the pace of how the Eng. program typically schedules classes. He's only been able to take 11-12 credits/semester, when the program typically schedules freshmen/sophomores to take 16-18 credits/semester. So this spring semester of university classes is all about "catching up". It also looks like in order to stay on track for a 2021 graduation, he'll need to take 1 class this summer.

That means he won't be able to do an internship this summer (they are full-time for 10 weeks). BUT... that will allow him to quit his part time restaurant manager job, take the summer school class, and then look into following up some leads of possibly working very part time during the school year with an electrical engineering firm, which would be a great next step.

Just sharing so much detail about our journey to encourage anyone else who may be trying the CC-transfer-to-university route. BEST of luck to all who now start the process of deciding on a college, now that you have all those acceptances rolling in. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 5

@kokotg  The easays get to be a get much, don’t they!  The kids think they’re done and then there’s another and another and another - all slightly different so you have to do at least a little tweaking instead of straight reusing.

@FuzzyCatz  FIVE music auditions???  Oh my that sounds like a lot!  How did the first one go?  Does he get to play the same material at each audition?

@Lori D.  It is great that your ds is so on top of what he needs to complete the program, and might have a chance to start a bit of work in his field.  The work experience is so important.

Edited by JazzyMom
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, JazzyMom said:

@FuzzyCatz  FIVE music auditions???  Oh my that sounds like a lot!  How did the first one go?  Does he get to play the same material at each audition?

Ugh - it is a lot!  I'm so over it!  Music admissions is not for the faint of heart or lean of pocketbook.   There is not enough wine or yoga classes for me at this moment.  We are heading to one toasty warm locale from the midwest in February though so it's not all bad!  😂

His first audition was fine.  He did get into that school with an amazing music and academic scholarship.  But he's had/is having a really odd experience with the music program there.  Kind of like he plays instrument A and B.  He wants to focus on instrument A in college but instrument B is his first instrument and he's unusually good.  He auditioned instrument A, but they are recruiting him hard for instrument B.  A is more common and easier to fill than B.   The numbers of people auditioning are  small enough and his resume is weird enough that I feel like I have to keep kind of quiet venting online until he locks into a program!  I am lurking on college boards more than posting right now.  🙂    I will say he is just riding the wave of this process much smoother than me!   I just really liked this school and in his mind it's completely off the table.  We will see.  It's been back and forth with them.  He wants to be able to collaborate with instrument B and do pick up ensembles, etc.  He just can't see himself doing a BM with that as the focus.

All I would say generally is music admissions is quite a lot about schools fulfilling their institutional needs and not really about digging in and caring about student goals.  I have a few regrets about how we approached admissions with this weirdo academic, multi interested musician of mine who wants to do ALL the things.  He mostly applied for dual degree (BM/BA) programs where possible.  I think many music programs really could update how they run for modern musicians and how they actually work in the real world.  

ETA - oh on repertoire, he has 4 pieces that will work for ALL of his upcoming auditions so that is something anyway!  Not too bad!  One flashy piece on instrument B in his back pocket.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 6

Thanks for updating, @Lori D.

Good luck at auditions, ds of @FuzzyCatz!

DD has one alumni interview this weekend for an RD app (which is solely for my curiosity). Also waiting on the snailmail invite to a school's scholarship weekend next month.

Humorously, my hate-to-write DD wrote a personal statement for a scholarship that she didn't need to. (It is for a school she's already ruled out. But the admissions woman begged her to fill it out and assured her that she isn't taking it away from anyone else since they give it to all qualified spplicants). Color me amused!

DH had a heart-to-heart with DD last night where they talked $$ of her schools. I knew that schools we visited last spring have become distant memories, but that convo reminded me DD would need to revisit one top contender before a final decision is made. DD also pointed out how unrealistic DH seemed with regard to costs. But DH was just trying to get DD to think about the $$ gap between her top three choices. He isn't there for DD & my talks - but she hadn't considered the hard #s recently so overall it was a good thing.

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Thanks for updating, @Lori D.

Good luck at auditions, ds of @FuzzyCatz!

DD has one alumni interview this weekend for an RD app (which is solely for my curiosity). Also waiting on the snailmail invite to a school's scholarship weekend next month.

Humorously, my hate-to-write DD wrote a personal statement for a scholarship that she didn't need to. (It is for a school she's already ruled out. But the admissions woman begged her to fill it out and assured her that she isn't taking it away from anyone else since they give it to all qualified spplicants). Color me amused!

DH had a heart-to-heart with DD last night where they talked $$ of her schools. I knew that schools we visited last spring have become distant memories, but that convo reminded me DD would need to revisit one top contender before a final decision is made. DD also pointed out how unrealistic DH seemed with regard to costs. But DH was just trying to get DD to think about the $$ gap between her top three choices. He isn't there for DD & my talks - but she hadn't considered the hard #s recently so overall it was a good thing.

My dh is really clueless about the real cost of college. One conversation we had about Fordham last yr after dd was awarded their full tuition scholarship made it abundantly clear that I have done my job very, very well. The difference in costs are not even a discussion. It was simply a no.

That is perfectly ok bc our kids know that going in. But, really, he does have an unrealistic perception. Thankfully it has worked for our kids.

• Like 4

DS had his Harvard interview with an alum this morning. That's the only Ivy he applied to (I would say the only other SUPER reach-y one is Williams, and they don't do interviews). He said it went "fine," but it only lasted 20 or 25 minutes, which doesn't seem like a good sign. Interviewing isn't his strong suit. He would be completely shocked to get into Harvard, though, so he won't be devastated when he doesn't. 

Fangirl moment: he has to do a presentation for scholarship weekend at Hendrix, and he's doing his on the Odyssey (expanding on a paper he wrote about it earlier this year). He had some questions about the original Greek, so I suggested he e-mail a couple of classicists whose work he's familiar with. So he did, and Emily Wilson got back to him! She's the one who just published the first English translation by a woman. She complimented his close reading skills (good close reading skills is all I've ever wanted for my kids!) and told him she almost never answers student questions, but she would just this once. And offered some very helpful insight into the passage he's working on. yay!

• Like 11

58 minutes ago, kokotg said:

DS had his Harvard interview with an alum this morning. That's the only Ivy he applied to (I would say the only other SUPER reach-y one is Williams, and they don't do interviews). He said it went "fine," but it only lasted 20 or 25 minutes, which doesn't seem like a good sign. Interviewing isn't his strong suit. He would be completely shocked to get into Harvard, though, so he won't be devastated when he doesn't. 

Fangirl moment: he has to do a presentation for scholarship weekend at Hendrix, and he's doing his on the Odyssey (expanding on a paper he wrote about it earlier this year). He had some questions about the original Greek, so I suggested he e-mail a couple of classicists whose work he's familiar with. So he did, and Emily Wilson got back to him! She's the one who just published the first English translation by a woman. She complimented his close reading skills (good close reading skills is all I've ever wanted for my kids!) and told him she almost never answers student questions, but she would just this once. And offered some very helpful insight into the passage he's working on. yay!

How exciting that your son got a response from Wilson. Both of you should be proud. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, kokotg said:

Wow, she's kinda famous.  I remember seeing an article about her recently in the NY Times.  

I heard from another mom that Harvard only admits from the pool that get interviews.  (Dd disagrees.  She tells me interviews are assigned randomly.)  I'm crossing my fingers for him.  (Anyone who keep correspondence like that deserves Harvard admission, IMO.)  

• Like 2

On 1/27/2019 at 5:34 PM, daijobu said:

Wow, she's kinda famous.  I remember seeing an article about her recently in the NY Times.  

I heard from another mom that Harvard only admits from the pool that get interviews.  (Dd disagrees.  She tells me interviews are assigned randomly.)  I'm crossing my fingers for him.  (Anyone who keep correspondence like that deserves Harvard admission, IMO.)  

I made him forward the e-mail to me and I've threatened to print it out and frame it 😂 . Most people online seem to say that Harvard tries to give interviews to everyone who applies, but who knows? 

• 2 weeks later...

How's the long winter treating everyone who's waiting for March decisions? We know from College Confidential and Reddit (DS follows college threads on Reddit) that Grinnell sent out a round of early acceptances yesterday; DS didn't get one, and he's pretty bummed about it. I know it doesn't mean much--most of the acceptances will come out next month (and--College Confidential again--plenty of the kids who don't hear until March still get nice merit aid)--but it's one of his top picks, and it would have been really nice to go into March knowing he was in at at least one of the most selective schools he applied to. On the other hand, he has his scholarship weekend at Hendrix in a week, so maybe it's just as well--fewer choices in the bag might motivate him to work harder on his presentation 😉 . Also, I'm pretty sure this whole process would be better if College Confidential and Reddit didn't exist--we don't need to know that a bunch of kids got in yesterday!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

How's the long winter treating everyone who's waiting for March decisions? We know from College Confidential and Reddit (DS follows college threads on Reddit) that Grinnell sent out a round of early acceptances yesterday; DS didn't get one, and he's pretty bummed about it. I know it doesn't mean much--most of the acceptances will come out next month (and--College Confidential again--plenty of the kids who don't hear until March still get nice merit aid)--but it's one of his top picks, and it would have been really nice to go into March knowing he was in at at least one of the most selective schools he applied to. On the other hand, he has his scholarship weekend at Hendrix in a week, so maybe it's just as well--fewer choices in the bag might motivate him to work harder on his presentation 😉 . Also, I'm pretty sure this whole process would be better if College Confidential and Reddit didn't exist--we don't need to know that a bunch of kids got in yesterday!

Darn! DD didn’t hear from Grinnell either and she finally let on that it is one of her top choices. I won’t tell her that the first round went out.

We just back from Drake’s NAS day. She is just soso with it. Though DS, who tagged along, is definitely interested in it being on his list in two years. 

DD holding up better than I am. This has been a long wait. She should get at least on more notification before the end of the month.

• Like 1