Menu

Grammar and Writing (Composition) in Spanish?

Gil

What programs are there for working on writing in Spanish? We use Native Materials that we scrounge get 2nd hand, so we use materials from all over the Spanish speaking world. BUT what about writing?

Is it important that we use materials from only one region/country to be consistent and learn written grammar correctly?

• 2 weeks later...

I would expect there to be less variation in written than in spoken Spanish. 

In general Spanish taught and used in the US is more in line with Latin American usage than that of Spain, so using materials from North or South America might be preferred. I don't think you need to stick to just one country though.

I lived in Guatemala and Bolivia as a kid and participated in Spanish classes with native speakers in both places. I found the skills from one country to be transferable to the other.

• Like 1

I agree that you can use materials from anywhere, as far as written grammar is concerned.  There will be regional variations for the vocabulary used.  The most obvious regional grammar distinction is the choice between "le" and "lo" for masculine direct object pronouns; in central and northern Spain, they are more likely to use "le," while in southern Spain and in Latin American they are more likely to use "lo."   The feminine direct object pronoun is always "la."

ETA: Corrected type of object pronoun.

Edited by klmama
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

23 hours ago, Ohdanigirl said:

Mexican Public school texts are available to view online and (I believe) down load as a PDF.  

I don't have the link on me, but know it has been shared on this bored in the past.

I've seen those online. They looked pretty good but eBooks just don't work for us too well and I'd rather find something in hardcopy if its possible. However, we've decided to delay formalized writing/grammar instruction until at least Jan 2020, but possibly summer 2020.

6 hours ago, Gil said:

I've seen those online. They looked pretty good but eBooks just don't work for us too well and I'd rather find something in hardcopy if its possible. However, we've decided to delay formalized writing/grammar instruction until at least Jan 2020, but possibly summer 2020.

I am in Mexico right now and may be able to find some.  They give them out for free.  What grade levels do you need?

Edited by Ohdanigirl
  • Like 1

@Ohdanigirl Wow. Thank you. I"m literally struggling with words, but  I couldn't just hit "like" or "thanks". I sent you a PM, but I also want to post here to say how immensely grateful I am that you even are willing to help us with actual texts and that you offered!

Any text in the 4th-8th grade range would be super helpful and much appreciated.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I PMed you and Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

• Like 1