Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Joyful

AoPS discreet math courses - designate as regular or honors?

Recommended Posts

I'm working on DS's transcript in order to  support his application for a DE program. So, the designations probably don't matter much now. But I figure I might as well ask now, so that I don't have to ask next year when we apply to college.  ?

DS has worked through AoPS's Intro to C&P and Intro to NT on his own. I'm planning to give 0.5 credit to each of those. Are these "honors" equivalent or "regular" courses?

How about the Intermediate C&P book? Thanks!

(DS told me that his AoPS friends have said that the Intermediate NT online course is really hard. If your child has taken it, can you please comment on it also? Thanks!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no experience with C&P, but I would NOT call Intro to Number Theory an honors courses, unless he did some extra things on the side and attempted several more challenging problems and carefully studied the solutions to many of the too-challenging problems that he'd missed and began to apply more sophisticated techniques to problems as the course went on.


We found Intro to NT pretty accessible. I'd award "regular" credit for each of those courses if they were completed more or less as written
 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like one of the posters on this board has reported that the course for Intermediate NT is a beast, but I can't think of who.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DS13 enjoyed the intermediate number theory online class but it was hard (which is why he liked it, his boredom tolerance isn’t high). He did it in July 2017, so I didn’t count that class for credit as he has two math credits (calculus and linear algebra) in 7th and 8th grade that I can count for high school credits.

As for DE, the admissions at the community college my kid is interested in is focusing more on his AP scores than the transcript. He does has five AP scores so far and that’s what the counselor is interested in for placement purposes. So I’m not worrying as much about giving them a “perfect” transcript. 

Edited by Arcadia
Wrong month. July not June
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Joyful said:

So do you list the AP scores on the transcript or elsewhere?

 

I have his AP scores, SAT, SAT subject tests, ACT scores listed on his transcript as it is standard where I am.

The community college he is looking at for DE says they do not want ACT, SAT or SAT subject test scores, so to only attach his unofficial AP score report to the transcript. The admissions office told me the unofficial AP score report is good enough for them as I can get CollegeBoard to sent his official score report if and when the guidance counselor wants it for their records. When I check with the guidance counselor office, the staff there repeated that the unofficial AP score report is good enough for the initial consultations regarding subject placement and choice of subjects.

DS13 can always pull up his score report on his laptop using his CollegeBoard account at the counselor’s office so the counselor can easily verify his scores.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Joyful said:

How about the Intermediate C&P book? 

 

‘DS13 worked through the intermediate C&P book on his own free time. My order records showed I bought the book for him in October 2014 together with his Intermediate Algebra book. The binding on that book is in the same “well used” condition as his prealgebra and intermediate algebra textbooks so I am assuming that it was hard but fun for him. I can’t tell you how long he took as he did intro to geometry and intermediate algebra concurrently with intermediate C&P. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Arcadia said:

 

I have his AP scores, SAT, SAT subject tests, ACT scores listed on his transcript as it is standard where I am.

OK. Thanks! I'll add a section on the transcript for test scores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Joyful said:

 I'll add a section on the transcript for test scores.

 

8FillTheHeart has a nice transcript in this link. For my son’s transcript, I have the entire right hand column under the left hand column instead purely for my convenience as his transcript is two pages. If I have to do a one page transcript, I’ll use her format.

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/677956-if-youve-applied-to-state-universities-in-tx/?do=findComment&comment=8184569

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2018 at 5:05 AM, Joyful said:

I'm working on DS's transcript in order to  support his application for a DE program. So, the designations probably don't matter much now. But I figure I might as well ask now, so that I don't have to ask next year when we apply to college.  ?

DS has worked through AoPS's Intro to C&P and Intro to NT on his own. I'm planning to give 0.5 credit to each of those. Are these "honors" equivalent or "regular" courses?

How about the Intermediate C&P book? Thanks!

(DS told me that his AoPS friends have said that the Intermediate NT online course is really hard. If your child has taken it, can you please comment on it also? Thanks!)

3

 

Yes, good idea to sort it now. 

I thought Intro was hard as heck but I'm not a math person. We listed it as a regular course. If you have a math teacher friend, you could ask them to look at it and judge whether it would be an honors class in your local district. 

We didn't do Intermediate, but I have seen several people on this board post that it is quite hard. That would get an honors designation from me for sure, lol. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2018 at 10:26 AM, Arcadia said:

 

8FillTheHeart has a nice transcript in this link. For my son’s transcript, I have the entire right hand column under the left hand column instead purely for my convenience as his transcript is two pages. If I have to do a one page transcript, I’ll use her format.

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/677956-if-youve-applied-to-state-universities-in-tx/?do=findComment&comment=8184569

 

Thanks for the sample transcript. It's very helpful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2018 at 12:02 AM, katilac said:

If you have a math teacher friend, you could ask them to look at it and judge whether it would be an honors class in your local district. 

We didn't do Intermediate, but I have seen several people on this board post that it is quite hard. That would get an honors designation from me for sure, lol. 

Thanks for the suggestion ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither intro to C&P nor Intro to NT are honors courses for high schoolers. We found them fairly easy by AOPS standards. Now both of those classes for middle school would be Honors if there was such a thing, but not for high school. 

I think Intermediate level courses are absolutely honors level for high school. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Neither intro to C&P nor Intro to NT are honors courses for high schoolers. We found them fairly easy by AOPS standards. Now both of those classes for middle school would be Honors if there was such a thing, but not for high school. 

I think Intermediate level courses are absolutely honors level for high school. 

Thanks for your input! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of the AoPS courses are much deeper in content than are the standard equivalent public school courses. Each one, if offered in a regular public school, would be considered an honors level course. If I were using honors designations on my student's transcript (which I am not), then I would designate all AoPS classes as honors level.

 

Edit: From the course description of Intro to Algebra A on the AoPS website:  "Our Algebra sequence will likely not match up exactly with your school's. Most students who have completed a Prealgebra course are ready for this course. This course covers much of the algebra of a typical honors Algebra 1 course, some of the content of an honors Algebra 2 course, and some additional material not taught in most standard curricula. Visit our Recommendations page for help in choosing the right class."  (bolded mine)

Second edit: Other course descriptions are similar.

 

 

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DS took the intro courses out of sequence (after geometry when I think they are meant to come after intro Algebra A) and found them much easier than programming or algebra & geometry classes.

I'm still calling them honors on the transcripts, though. I think writing formal proofs alone (for the online class) makes the class a tougher one than a standard ninth grade math elective class. The kind of thinking that it asks for, too, is deeper, even if the actual concepts don't go past algebra 1 math.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...