Menu

Just for fun- baby names you loved but never got to use

Peaceseeker

Evelyn and Victor.  

Evelyn was my great-aunt who passed away at a young age and my grandpa told lovely stories about her. I always loved the name.  However, it also ended up being the name of DH's step-grandma and we agreed no matter what, it would kind of seem like we named our first-born after her. I do still love that name.

Victor was our agreed upon name for our son, but at the last minute DH backed out.  I don't remember why.  There's still a little part of me that would like to go back and hold my ground on that one, but of course as the years have passed I can't really imagine my son being named anything other than what we chose.  

Edited by ksr5377
  • Like 1

Annabelle-my husband and I couldn't agree on how to spell it and so it got nixed. I told my daughter recently that was almost her name, she said she hated it :)

Ryan- everytime I asked someone what they thought of the name they said Brian? I'm like no Ryan....I gave up.

Nicholas-my mother said everyone would call him Nick not Nicholas and that ruined it for me.

My father was a Julian and hated his name. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, milovany said:

Adding more to my above Dagny:

After naming our first son Will, I wanted to name the next boy Way.  ("Where there's a Will ... ")

I also liked West, but never got there mostly because our last name begins with S (think Smith, although it's not Smith).  You really had to enunciate the ending T clearly every time to hear it; otherwise it just sounded like Wes. 

I really wanted to name a girl April Mae!  My mum's middle name is Mae and I love the name April. 

April is my name and I had the “April Mae” joke my whole life. I hated it.

13 hours ago, Tina said:

A niece is about to go with Wilder for a first name, whether it's a boy or a girl.  

And someone just used Violet.  When I was a kid there were twins Valerie and Violet.

Our little guy's middle name is Wilder - super cool name, imo.

I only have 2 names left that I would love to use: Phoebe Hope and Violet Eden. So I'm kind of hoping twin girls are in my future, lol. I'm out of boy names save for Ezra which I would use as a middle name.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, klmama said:

Just one: Olivia.   Dh didn't even like it for the dog.  

Olivia was one of the girl names that I wanted to use for a baby and didn't but I did get to use it for the dog!

The other girl names that I didn't get to use are: Anna Claire and Saoirse and Valancy and Threnody.

Boy's name:  Tallinn.  I have a lot of trouble coming up with boy's names.

• Like 1

Well, Wilder turned out to be a boy yesterday. lol

Always wished I'd used mil's middle name Irene for dd's middle name.  Instead I went with my first choice after a family middle name was vetoed by both people who had the name.  Not that I really liked it either. lol  But I would have done it for family.  

• Like 1

You have to know first that all of my kids have relatively rare and weird Bible names.  That said, if my last had been a boy, he would have been Boaz.  Instead we ended up with Hadassah (Dassi).  Who, by the way, was named by the Hive ☺️.

But I still love the name.  Our whole family fell in love with it so I'm still holding out hope for a grandson with that name.

I also always wanted to use the name Helen which was one of my grandmother's name.  My dh hated it though so that never happened and it really doesn't fit in with the rest of the names any way.

• Like 2

A boy would have been named after a grandfather or great-grandfather:  Richard Adrian, Joseph Benjamin, Robert John or William Cornelius

Girl names that dh vetoed:  Ayla, Claire, Emma.  The names that he liked that I didn't Heather, Sage, Scarlett

5 hours ago, JanOH said:

You have to know first that all of my kids have relatively rare and weird Bible names.  That said, if my last had been a boy, he would have been Boaz.  Instead we ended up with Hadassah (Dassi).  Who, by the way, was named by the Hive ☺️.

But I still love the name.  Our whole family fell in love with it so I'm still holding out hope for a grandson with that name.

I also always wanted to use the name Helen which was one of my grandmother's name.  My dh hated it though so that never happened and it really doesn't fit in with the rest of the names any way.

We know a family with a 1 year old Boaz.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 4:21 AM, lavender's green said:

Kajsa/Kaisa is a common name in my family! I've never heard it used outside of Swedish/Finnish circles. 

When maize mentioned "Antje" I realized it's been decades since I heard or read that name. I used to know an "Antje." :) In another life, another country.

I love 3 - 4 syllable girls names with Russian influence.

If I'd had a girl instead of a boy, she would have been one of the following:  Daria (not my real name), Sophia, or Natalia.  

I love so many boys names, I could have named dozens.  I think if I had a boy to name tomorrow he'd be James or maybe Gabriel.

It took us forever to settle on a boy name which is why it worked out that we had three girls first!

Girl names that Dh vetoed:  Sophie/ Sophia, Claire , Poppy, and Rosie

I wanted Esme (for Granny Weatherwax) but was glad that Dh vetoed that one once Twilight came out.

The last girl name we agreed on that didn't get used because our last baby was a boy:  Katherine Grace

The reason we couldn't agree on a boy name was Dh insisted on Wolfgang.  Seriously.  We have a weird, difficult to pronounce, two word last name.  The genetic heritage my children were staring down includes short and skinny, cross-eyed, flat-footed, and buck toothed.  I was not going to add Wolfgang to the list.  

Amber in SJ

• Haha 4