Menu

Just for fun- baby names you loved but never got to use

Peaceseeker

Do you have a name you always wanted to use for one of your children but for whatever reason, never got the chance? Or just a name you found later and loved?

I always loved the name Julien for a little boy but we didn't use it.   I have recently fallen in love with the name Esme for a girl.

Anyone else want to play?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, easypeasy said:

Oh so many. DH vetoed so many of my favorites. 

Clara, Beatrice (“Bee”), Aleah, or Margaret (“Meg”) for a girl and Joaquin for a boy are probably my favorites that we never used. 

Two of those are literally dd2's first and middle names. We couldn't decide which to name her so used both. ?

• Like 2

Adam was our next boy name, and I'm having a hard time letting go of it because always assumed we would have another boy after Peter. 

Growing up, my youngest sister had a friend named Timo and I absolutely loved his name. My oldest son (originally stepson) is Thomas, so my dream of having a baby Timo didn't last long! Other names that were too close to previous kids' names, didn't fit with our last name, or were vetoed by Dh: Clara, Leah, Luke, Isaac, Joel, Oskar, Oliver, & Hugo

• Like 2

So many...I love naming. Some girl names I never got to use but loved were: Meredith, Margaret (Maggie), Leah, Clara, Susannah, Evelyn, Georgia. I also really loved Joy for a middle name with most of those. 

Boy names I loved: Drew Garrison (first and middle, lol), Rowan, Silas, Nathan, Ezra. Could a written name look cooler than Ezra? I doubt it! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

Julian and Sebastian for a boy. Dh said no and sadly I agree...those would be hard names to carry in a redneck southern area.

lucile for a girl. It was my grandmothers name. With one l atvthe end. We named the dog Lucy though so that makes me happy.

My grandmother's name was Lucille, and if I have another girl she may have Lucille as a middle name. 

• Like 1

My Irish maiden name, which I wanted to use as a little boy's first name since my youth, when I read it used as a first name in an O. Henry short story. It would even have fit the -en/-an trend for boys' names (Aiden, Kaylen, etc.). But I married into an unusual last name that, put after my maiden name, made an amusing and unfortunate phrase. And then we had all girls anyway. Goodbye, Little ----an who never was.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, milovany said:

Dagny.  Yes, really.  Really bummed I didn't get a little final pink thing named Dagny Blue. 

I would have been a Dagny had my father gotten his way.

Lola is my “missed” name.  Lola was my great grandmother and she was lovely.  Of course, DH, who never knew great grandma, couldn’t get passed the Kinks and Damn Yankees.  I look at our 7 month old all the time think she looks like a Lola Jean.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Names I liked but didn't use: Laurel, Elizabeth, Eden, Oliver, Evangeline. (I wish I'd used Elizabeth and Evangeline for my girls' middle names). 

Names I later discovered and loved: Verity, Finn, Lirah, Clary. 

I knew twins named Elizabeth and Evangeline! They were both brilliant pianists.

I loved the name Fiona, but when my mother and mil both threatened to call dd Fifi as a nickname, we abandoned that one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, lavender's green said:

Kajsa/Kaisa is a common name in my family! I've never heard it used outside of Swedish/Finnish circles. 

I first encountered it when trying to trace my grandmother's Swedish line. I think it is a lovely name.

I read somewhere that it was often used as a nickname for Karin in Sweden.

Oh, every girl’s name ever except for the one that is DD’s. Katherine, Elizabeth, Julia, Caroline, Abigail, Alice, Joanna, Emily. . . I would have lobbied quite hard for Katherine Joy had this little guy not been this little guy. What better name for a rainbow baby and long-awaited baby sister than a name that means “pure joy?”

We still need to pick a boy’s name, but I probably will not talk DH into either Josiah or Asher, both of which I love. He would like something of a different flavor than my usual choices. 

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, OKBud said:

Is it pronounced "katcha"? I heard the name for the first time that I remember when my oldest was obsessed with volcanology, and thought the Kraffts were the most famous people on earth ? 

In my family it's the Finnish Kaisa, pronounced KAI-za. I don't know about Swedish. Actually, it's possible the pronunciation has been anglicized. But I have living American relatives, some of them quite young, who all go with KAI-za.

Edited by lavender's green
  • Like 1

I'm a complete sucker for romantic girl names. All of them. We would have like a Cecelia, but that would sound like a tongue twister with our last name. 

I always wanted a James, but DH vetoed it because that was the name of his last roommate before we moved in together. With his memory, I wouldn't be surprised if he's forgotten the roommate's name by now. Oh well. I also like Jacob and Benjamin, but that's about it. For the last two babies, we've just made lists of our "least objectionable" boys names, and after a while the perfect name pops out.

• Like 1

I love names so much! I am all over the map with naming style and I tend to have guilty pleasure names that I couldn't use but secretly love. 

With my oldest DS I loved Noah and Owen. Back in 93' when he was born they were unheard of. I do love that they took off ?

With my youngest boys I loved Griffin, Sebastian, Ezra, Rafferty and August. 

With my daughter I loved Arabella, Octavia, Winslet, and Sarah (yeah, I know this one doesn't quite fit but I have always loved this name).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quill said:

So many...I love naming. Some girl names I never got to use but loved were: Meredith, Margaret (Maggie), Leah, Clara, Susannah, Evelyn, Georgia. I also really loved Joy for a middle name with most of those. 

Boy names I loved: Drew Garrison (first and middle, lol), Rowan, Silas, Nathan, Ezra. Could a written name look cooler than Ezra? I doubt it! 

One of those is my son's name! ? 

My 3 kids names are unintentionally in ABC order so if I ever have a surprise 4th I want Zoey or Zion to wrap it up. Zoey goes really well with my name and dd's name and dh and I both LOVE the name Zion to pieces. 

Names I love and didn't use... Jacob, Benjamin, Christopher, Hannah.

Anne or Annabelle I couldn't decide between those two so I didn't use either! ?

• Like 2

Andrew Christian (nickname Drew)—We had a girl, so didn't use this one.

Emilia Grace (nickname Lia)—My paternal grandmother's name was Emilia (I never met her), and my dad's middle name was Emil. I really like the name Emilia and loved the family significance, but dh didn't like the nicknames I like (Lia or possibly Emmy or Emma) and I didn't like the one he likes (Amy), so we went with Lilly Grace (nickname for a different, unusual, first name)—which we both like instead.

Ooo! Just read others' comments. I love Hannah and Elizabeth too. We thought about Hannah Elizabeth, but crossed that out because we didn't like the initials with our last name "HEK." We thought about using Elizabeth Grace (still with the nickname dd uses, Lilly), but our last name is quite common, and we try to give our children names they won't share with hundreds of others, so we went with an unusual first name.

Edited by iamonlyone
  • Like 2

Ella - my grandma's name!  Love it, but felt like it was too similar to Hannah(oldest dd's name) (doesn't look similar, but when testing it out by yelling it out the back door, it seemed too close, and we didn't want to start a pattern where every daughter has to have a double letter name or something...)

Texy Jane (my mom's grandma's name - I don't think we could actually use it for reals, but I love it, and wish we had at least taken the Jane part)

• Like 2

Adding more to my above Dagny:

After naming our first son Will, I wanted to name the next boy Way.  ("Where there's a Will ... ")

I also liked West, but never got there mostly because our last name begins with S (think Smith, although it's not Smith).  You really had to enunciate the ending T clearly every time to hear it; otherwise it just sounded like Wes. 

I really wanted to name a girl April Mae!  My mum's middle name is Mae and I love the name April. 

Edited by milovany
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, StephanieZ said:

Josephine ("Josie" or "Jo" -- nod to Jo March -- my favorite literary heroine)

Abraham ("Bram" -- nod Lincoln)

I tried to convince my husband on both names more than once, no dice, lol.

We have a Josephine, and it’s still one of my favorite names.  I can’t wait to introduce her to Jo March.

• Like 3