Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Medicmom2.0

February honeymoon ideas

March is our ten year anniversary.  We never got a honeymoon, and have decided this is finally the year(if nothing else in life goes wrong).  We’ve had a very stressful few years and our marriage is fortunate to have survived.  We have a week in late February that we could go away.  Budget is probably around $2000 though we can be flexible if a good opportunity arose.

My husband does not like crowds or tourist attractions.  He will go to a warm location if that’s what I really want to do, but he’s not very interested in spending days lying on a beach. I can tolerate snow but I have no interest in skiing or other snow activities.  He is gluten free and I have LTFA, so we’d prefer to cook most of our own food.  He doesn’t drink but I do like some wine.  Our favorite vacations are very boring—we like to take the camper to our favorite campground where the sites are large and we are relatively isolated.  We are mostly happy just being alone together; watching movies, sitting by a fire, taking walks and other marital activities ;). Basically, we are very boring. We both enjoy going to Gettysburg, but not in February and it’s close enough not to qualify as a honeymoon.

We are considering renting a cabin in Pigeon forge, TN. Something like these:  https://www.pigeonforgetncabins.com/somewhat isolated for a week, but close enough for some dinners out or a movie.  Will it just be miserable weather?  We’re from the finger lakes region of NY, so cold and snow are nothing new.

Any other thoughts? I am open to suggestions.  We are willing to fly, and if I found something in a warmer location that wasn’t too touristy I think DH would be interested.

We love Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. It can be very touristy, but you can be as isolated as you want if you rent a cabin. I've never been in Feb, though, just several times in the spring, summer, and fall.

There are some really cool attractions around there, if you want to get out and do something. 

This may not be what you are looking for but here it is anyway.  We love visiting Staunton, VA.  It is the home of the American Shakespeare Center which is a very fun place to see plays (though I am not sure how much goes on in February). It is in the Shenendoah Valley so there is nice hiking nearby.  Staunton is a small city with some interesting shops (and a wide variety of restaurants so possibly something that will work for you)  - but it is not really a shopping destination.  There are some Airbnbs that look good, though we have never managed to stay in one.  It's not far from Monticello which is super interesting. It is not particularly warm in February (a quick google tells me average high is 46).  

I dunno, if I was going away with my husband and couldn't go to Scotland, I would go there. :-)  I won't be offended if you don't go there though. :-)

What about a Civil War sites road trip? Head a bit farther South than Gettysburg, so it is a bit warmer?

I've always wanted to go to Shiloh. I've heard good things about the NP but I can't remember offhand what they are. 

4 minutes ago, marbel said:

This may not be what you are looking for but here it is anyway.  We love visiting Staunton, VA.  It is the home of the American Shakespeare Center which is a very fun place to see plays (though I am not sure how much goes on in February). It is in the Shenendoah Valley so there is nice hiking nearby.  Staunton is a small city with some interesting shops (and a wide variety of restaurants so possibly something that will work for you)  - but it is not really a shopping destination.  There are some Airbnbs that look good, though we have never managed to stay in one.  It's not far from Monticello which is super interesting. It is not particularly warm in February (a quick google tells me average high is 46).  

I dunno, if I was going away with my husband and couldn't go to Scotland, I would go there. ? I won't be offended if you don't go there though. ?

Shenandoah, I long to hear you...away, you rollin river

I love Shenandoah. 

• Like 1