Menu

DD struggling with Mr. D Math (pre-a)

We're already struggling with pre-algebra (and it's really just review). DD just "doesn't get it" and she feels confused and overwhelmed. 

I picked Mr.D because the reviews indicated he might be good for non-mathy kids. DD feels that it lacks the explicit instruction she needs. We've had to supplement with Dana Mosely's videos to explain concepts (which she likes and I'm considering switching to --along with the Aufmann text, a la Chalkdust).

Anyone have a less-than-confident math student who needs very clear, step-by-step instruction? With what program did you find success?

Well, I can say that my daughter took her first class from myhomeschool math class today.  It wasn't pre-a, but they did move step by step with time to do the problems yourself.  Many reviews out there for JanninTexas. You might check to see if there are any openings..just starting this week.  I think she also tutors if needed,  It is pay by the month , so if it isn't the right place, you aren't put so much.

• 2 weeks later...

My non-mathy son likes Dana Mosley's CoolMathGuy.com too.  

He's also really enjoyed Teaching Textbooks.  I was anti-TT for years, but let him and his brother do it over the summer.  His brother did it to get ready for geometry--and is doing great in his honors geometry class. (94% average or something like that.)  The non-mathy kid did Pre-Algebra TT again to help him get ready for Algebra 1.  He has a solid B in Algebra 1, which is a win for us.  We're likely pulling him from school back to homeschool in a few weeks, though, due to a family issue...and I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and buy TT Algebra 1.

• Like 1

We actually did switch to TT last week, and she told me today that it's her favorite math of all the maths we've tried. (And that says something because we've tried a lot...)?

Since she had some knowledge gaps, we're using TT7 but hoping to get through it AND TT Pre-A by next fall (even doing 1 lesson a day, it looks possible, if we're consistent.)

• Like 1