Menu

PE Grade

I did Pass.  Partly because this is how our town's public school did it, but also partly because I personally believe gym classes shouldn't be given letter grades.  I mean, someone might be doing the best they can in gym, but still not do very well.  I just don't like the idea of grading physical activity.

Thanks for your responses.  For my oldest son who graduated 3 years ago, I graded his PE as "pass".  I have another son who will graduate in 2019, and thought I would check to see what the consensus is.  What about number of credits, 1.0 or 0.5?  I am thinking I should give him 1.0 since it's a year round activity.  But in the past I think, I read 0.5 is more appropriate.  What do you think?

16 minutes ago, littlemommy said:

...What about number of credits, 1.0 or 0.5?  I am thinking I should give him 1.0 since it's a year round activity.  But in the past I think, I read 0.5 is more appropriate.  What do you think?

I awarded 2.0 credits (0.5 credit per year), as I felt it was shorting my students by not acknowledging their time/efforts, as it was a year-round activity, and some of their PE came from prep for participating on the varsity public high school tennis team, and they needed to put a fair amount of work in for 2 months before the season even started each spring to stay competitive. Also, I was probably "throwing back" to my memories of my own high school credits, when 2 years (2 credits) were part of our graduation credits. ? That's just what we did, and you will have your own good reasons for what you award. ?

California requires credits equivalent to two high school courses completed in high school as graduation requirement for public school so I would give both my kids two high school credits on their transcript so that it’s similar to their peers. Health (diet, nutrition, mental health, emotional health) is counted under the PE credit for us though.

I believe my local district just puts a pass/fail as the state universities does not count PE into their recalculated admission GPA. However, if my kids decide to apply out of state, I would check how the college calculates the admission GPA. 

• Like 1

I'm in a state where most homeschoolers use cover schools.  The cover school I use wants letter grades even for PE (which needs to be on the transcript).  I ended up looking up the syllabus online for various PE high school courses.  Realized an A was achieved in public schools by attendance and attitude and maybe a project (such as learning how to monitor heart rate during activity).  It was never grade on "athletic ability" or something like that.  Show up. Do it. get dressed right and don't give them trouble and actually participate.  Pretty much like I remember it in the 80s.  So with homeschool it was easy to give A for PE.  One child did homeschool archery league all 4 years and that counted. One child did aerobic dance fitness at home along with logging hours of mowing the yard, recreational swimming, etc. And youngest gets her through special olympics and a local homeschool PE class. Shows up. Does her best (in spite of different abilities and some lacks thereof). has fun. goes to tournament day. win or less, she  gets an A.  (edit to add: we did have some academic work in PE via monarch's physical fitness elective. that was to learn about cardio, strength, stretch.)

Edited by cbollin
  • Like 4

May I tack on a PE question? I was listing the kids' classes and likely credits for this year and wondering about this myself. I'll likely give grades as that's the norm in public schools. For ds who is not athletic, this is easy. I'll award him like Lori said above - a half credit for his athletic activities per year. That's all it'll amount to anyway. Other ds is in dance about 20-30 hours a week depending on if there's a performance (which, I just had to recalculate that and it's a large number). There's no way I'm *adding* a physical activity of any kind for him. I can give him a half a health credit at some point, I suppose. But the dance will clearly be an extracurricular. How do people handle if a child is already involved in an intensive athletic pursuit and doesn't "need" PE?

Edited by Farrar

51 minutes ago, cbollin said:

I'm in a state where most homeschoolers use cover schools.  The cover school I use wants letter grades even for PE (which needs to be on the transcript).  I ended up looking up the syllabus online for various PE high school courses.  Realized an A was achieved in public schools by attendance and attitude and maybe a project (such as learning how to monitor heart rate during activity).  It was never grade on "athletic ability" or something like that.  Show up. Do it. get dressed right and don't give them trouble and actually participate.  Pretty much like I remember it in the 80s.  So with homeschool it was easy to give A for PE.  One child did homeschool archery league all 4 years and that counted. One child did aerobic dance fitness at home along with logging hours of mowing the yard, recreational swimming, etc. And youngest gets her through special olympics and a local homeschool PE class. Shows up. Does her best (in spite of different abilities and some lacks thereof). has fun. goes to tournament day. win or less, she  gets an A.  (edit to add: we did have some academic work in PE via monarch's physical fitness elective. that was to learn about cardio, strength, stretch.)

This is how I do it and how I grade.

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

May I tack on a PE question? I was listing the kids' classes and likely credits for this year and wondering about this myself. I'll likely give grades as that's the norm in public schools. For ds who is not athletic, this is easy. I'll award him like Lori said above - a half credit for his athletic activities per year. That's all it'll amount to anyway. Other ds is in dance about 20-30 hours a week depending on if there's a performance (which, I just had to recalculate that and it's a large number). There's no way I'm *adding* a physical activity of any kind for him. I can give him a half a health credit at some point, I suppose. But the dance will clearly be an extracurricular. How do people handle if a child is already involved in an intensive athletic pursuit and doesn't "need" PE?

Dance and dance performance = Fine Arts credits, similar to say, piano practice + recitals = Fine Arts credit.

I personally would count that as a credit of Fine Arts: Dance (or 1 credit each year, going up in level: Fine Arts: Ballet I, Ballet II, Ballet III, Ballet IV), and count the rest as a very nice extracurricular. If your area don't require PE (or your area's local high school systems don't require it), then I wouldn't worry about including PE on this student's transcript. Just my 2 cents worth, with just one option of how to handle it. (:D

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lori D. said:

Dance and dance performance = Fine Arts credits, similar to say, piano practice + recitals = Fine Arts credit.

I personally would count that as a credit of Fine Arts: Dance (or 1 credit each year, going up in level: Fine Arts: Ballet I, Ballet II, Ballet III, Ballet IV), and count the rest as a very nice extracurricular. If your area don't require PE (or your area's local high school systems don't require it), then I wouldn't worry about including PE on this student's transcript. Just my 2 cents worth, with just one option of how to handle it. (:D

I guess I don't want it to look like I'm doubling up. Maybe that's not an issue when you're taking as many classes as he is. I don't plan to put them down as fine arts credits either, though I'd consider it if he stops dancing. I think it'll speak for itself. And the levels being down as 1,2,3, etc. won't look right if he's applying to anywhere that does ballet seriously, which is a possibility. Like, his level is "6" this year - which I think would mean something to some schools, though it varies a little from place to place. But PE is a requirement around here - I'm not sure how dance is handled in high schools here. I know that it exempted you from needing PE credits when  I was a high school student myself. It was an arts credit that had a special mark on it or something. I myself took the well-regarded course for the athletically challenged: "Golf-tennis-archery-bowling." It included a field trip to a bowling alley.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I guess I don't want it to look like I'm doubling up. Maybe that's not an issue when you're taking as many classes as he is. I don't plan to put them down as fine arts credits either, though I'd consider it if he stops dancing. I think it'll speak for itself. And the levels being down as 1,2,3, etc. won't look right if he's applying to anywhere that does ballet seriously, which is a possibility. Like, his level is "6" this year - which I think would mean something to some schools, though it varies a little from place to place. But PE is a requirement around here - I'm not sure how dance is handled in high schools here. I know that it exempted you from needing PE credits when  I was a high school student myself. It was an arts credit that had a special mark on it or something. I myself took the well-regarded course for the athletically challenged: "Golf-tennis-archery-bowling." It included a field trip to a bowling alley.

Well, when a student is putting in 20-30 hours/week into something, and a credit is only 4-5 hours/week, then it is not doubling up, but is accounting for the student's time/effort and awarding what the student legitimately earned. Those kinds of hours are like holding down a part time job on top of keeping up with a full load of high school classes, so I don't see the fairness in only awarding a 0.5 credit or 1.0 credit of PE for that kind of time, dedication, and interest... But that's just my perspective. ?

Absolutely: account for the dance however will help DS's accomplishments best shine, whether it be as progressing levels or continuing interest in dance as credits or as an extracurricular. Since PE is a requirement, then you can very safely count some of the dance hours toward PE and the remainder towards a high quality extracurricular in which DS has shown years of interest and dedication.

BEST of luck as you move into wearing the administrator hat as part of your homeschooling duties! (:D Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Lori D. said:

Well, when a student is putting in 20-30 hours/week into something, and a credit is only 4-5 hours/week, then it is not doubling up, but is accounting for the student's time/effort and awarding what the student legitimately earned. I don't see the fairness in only awarding a 0.5 credit or 1.0 credit of PE for that kind of time, dedication, and interest, but that's just my perspective. ?

Absolutely: account for the dance however will help DS's accomplishments best shine, whether it be as progressing levels or continuing interest in dance as credits or as an extracurricular. Since PE is a requirement, then you can very safely count some of the dance hours toward PE and the remainder towards a high quality extracurricular in which DS has shown years of interest and dedication.

BEST of luck as you move into wearing the administrator hat as part of your homeschooling duties! (:D Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank, Lori. ? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, littlemommy said:

Thanks for your responses.  For my oldest son who graduated 3 years ago, I graded his PE as "pass".  I have another son who will graduate in 2019, and thought I would check to see what the consensus is.  What about number of credits, 1.0 or 0.5?  I am thinking I should give him 1.0 since it's a year round activity.  But in the past I think, I read 0.5 is more appropriate.  What do you think?

One of my dc exercised every. single. day. for at least an hour.  I gave a full credit each year, as those activities were not part of a recognizable extracurricular.  Dc's extracurricular athletic activity was separate.  

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

Does your son take a conditioning class or do conditioning exercises in addition to his dance?  If so, you could count the time spent working on conditioning as PE while still counting dance classes and performances as fine arts or extra curricular activities.   Otherwise, you could combine health and PE into a healthy lifestyles course and give him credit for x hours of physical activity.  He might find it interesting to log the number of hours he spends in recreational activities such as bowling, hiking, or social dancing.  If not, he certainly has enough dance hours.

• Like 1

I am putting PE on the schedule as P/F.

So I had a similar situation as the question above on doubling up.  In our case it was for music and not for PE, though my son did do some dance for PE that is on transcript but not shown on extracurricular activities.  So what I did was divide the stuff up.  In his case, I put private music lessons on the transcript for music credit.  And then in extracurricular section I listed his ensemble programs, musical theater, graded piano program, etc. It's still a ton of hours for both.  

My freshman is kind of a dancer too though I suspect she will be doing less of that in high school and more music and theater too.  But if she were to jump back in, I could see breaking off some atypical classes like conditioning, etc and calling that PE and putting the rest in extracurricular.  

37 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

...Several colleges that my children applied to would have counted a P as a C...

Yes, this is what I remember was one of the reasons why I gave a letter grade -- I did not want a college assigning a "C" to my "Pass" grade, which could knock down a GPA just below potential scholarship level.

@Farrar I think giving a PE class credit for an intense physical pursuit is very just and something that makes homeschooling an advantage for being able to pursue such activities. 

At my son’s current public school, PE class is required though even if kids have an after school sport every day of the week with games or meets most weekends—and even if they have a second activity like dance or in my ds’s case, ice skating in addition. We dropped the extra sports this trimester because it was too much for us. But...a lot of kids/families seem to be doing it. 

@littlemommy yes, they seem to grade for effort and participation in general. 

2 hours ago, Sherry in OH said:

Does your son take a conditioning class or do conditioning exercises in addition to his dance?  If so, you could count the time spent working on conditioning as PE while still counting dance classes and performances as fine arts or extra curricular activities.   Otherwise, you could combine health and PE into a healthy lifestyles course and give him credit for x hours of physical activity.  He might find it interesting to log the number of hours he spends in recreational activities such as bowling, hiking, or social dancing.  If not, he certainly has enough dance hours.

He does. That's a good point. In my head, I'll count the stretch and pilates classes that are a required part of his program as "PE."

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Farrar said:

Just for another data point, in my daughter's last school district in CA, if you were in an activity on the approved list (which included dance, swim, etc) and trained 10 hours a week or more, you simply were exempt from PE.  I think the only thing that was needed was the health 1/2 credit.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2018 at 4:47 PM, Margaret in CO said:

We counted PE but gave letter grades. We graded on faster times at swimming, finishing a half marathon, placing well at Nationals in dressage, taking week-long workshops with Olympic clinicians, etc. Several colleges that my children applied to would have counted a P as a C. If my kids were doing lifetime sports (not on a team) I'd give credit for increased fitness. 

That's why I gave letter grades too. 

On 9/10/2018 at 7:12 PM, Farrar said:

He does. That's a good point. In my head, I'll count the stretch and pilates classes that are a required part of his program as "PE."

I really like this solution, but otherwise I would have said that another option was to exempt him. Schools will often allow athletes in sports to be "exempt" from a PE requirement, and if you think PE is going to be required on the transcript, then I would probably make a notation of some kind.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 5:08 AM, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

Just for another data point, in my daughter's last school district in CA, if you were in an activity on the approved list (which included dance, swim, etc) and trained 10 hours a week or more, you simply were exempt from PE.  I think the only thing that was needed was the health 1/2 credit.

This is similar to how it works in my district, also in CA. 10 hours a week would only be enough to be exempt in middle school. For high school, the time requirement is 15 hours a week. They have several other requirements on top of the time requirement that the student must meet, but the concept is the same.

I am giving my dancers credit for dance as their PE. They will also list dance on their extra curriculars. And they don't do anything like 20 hours a week! Mine do enough regularly for their credit, 4-5 hours of classses year round. But they also volunteer in the studio with younger classes, attend dance camp in the summer, and do performances several times a year with extra rehearsals, giving them more hours than just their required PE. 

On 9/10/2018 at 11:41 AM, Farrar said:

You could say that his PE credits were "satisfied by dance" (or some such statement) without actually granting credit.  

• Like 1