Menu

Vacation/travel rental question

PeachyDoodle

Vacation rental question  

34 members have voted

1. 1. If you rented someone's home for vacation/travel (think Air BnB or similar), would you expect to have empty drawer space in which to put your clothes?

• Yes, I would want to unpack and put my clothes away.
    • No, I would plan to keep my things in my suitcase.

we just got back from a trip using ABB.  two were apartments set aside within a larger home. so, it was easier to have empty closet and drawer space.

one was someone's own apartment.  - she had cleaned out the fridge so it was basically empty, empty kitchen cupboard space (which we didn't use, as we ate out everyday),,  and closet and drawer space.

OP the key to this for me is if we were paying to rent a home from a stranger.  Yes, I would in that case expect the drawers and closet to be empty and available to us.

If we were staying in the home of a relative or friend, free, no, I would not expect them to remove their stuff from the room we stay in, if they do not have a dedicated bedroom for guests.

• Like 4

the last place we were at - the private apartment, did expect us to do wash.  Hello - I'm paying to use your apartment and I don't know how to use your washer.  I don't want to do something wrong - so deal with it.  we only had towels (and sheets), so I just piled the dirty towels on the washing machine.

we did wash our clothes in another apartment - but the hostess took my laundry, and washed it herself.  (this was actually my favorite place.)  I also did some wash at dh's neice's apartment, but since I hadn't a clue how it worked - she actually chose the cycles for what was needed.

For me, it would depend on the size and arrangement of the accommodations.  If there were some place convenient to put a suitcase at a reasonable height to use, I would not mind the lack of drawer space.  I would want some place to hang items if I needed to let wrinkles fall out of my clothing.

• Like 1

My husband and DS12 are more worried about dust bunnies than me and DS13. So we would be happy with a luggage rack as the wardrobe and dresser would be unused. My husband would appreciate a coat rack somewhere to hang up coats and a few dress shirts. 

If it is a vacation and everyone is in t-shirts and jeans attire, then we would just drape our coats over chairs and my husband would not be upset by a lack of a coat rack.

Edited by Arcadia

Why WOULDN'T the person owning the property clear out their stuff??? I mean, how super creepy is that? Are they going to allege you stole their jeans or favorite sweater or something? Totally gross.

We stayed in a condo that the owners use during the winter and rent out the rest of the year through a property manager. Their private belongings were in a locked closet. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

Why WOULDN'T the person owning the property clear out their stuff??? I mean, how super creepy is that? Are they going to allege you stole their jeans or favorite sweater or something? Totally gross.

We stayed in a condo that the owners use during the winter and rent out the rest of the year through a property manager. Their private belongings were in a locked closet. 

You would expect a family to clear out their entire wardrobe to rent out their primary residence for a week?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PeachyDoodle said:

You would expect a family to clear out their entire wardrobe to rent out their primary residence for a week?

Wardrobe and drawers are two separate things. I think if you are asking about closets, I would expect significant closet space in any room that is open to guest use. So, for instance, I'd expect the owner's clothes to be pushed to the back with maybe half the closet easily open and a blanket or sheet over them so it was clear you were not comingling. Or if the closet has two rods, one rod completely open and everything else pushed over to the other rod. For dressers, I would absolutely expect drawers open, at least half the dresser, and personally I would probably just box my stuff up and take it to the storage room. 

How well do you know these people? If they're your personal friends, two drawers, half a closet, no biggee. If these are strangers and you're getting paid a good solid rental fee, then yeah I'd be clearing out enough that they feel like it's theirs. 

I don't know, are you closets and drawers not tidy to make that easy? I'm not meaning to be nosey, because I have a closet I need to clean out, lol. I'm just saying if your closets and drawers are in order, it's not that big a deal, just grab boxes, clear and label, store, and put back in when yu're done. If they're paying you a fair rate, it was enough to be worth the hassle. Imagine the reviews if they post online that they had to sleep with your teen's smelly socks or something, kwim? I just can't fathom. Many people's drawers are empty if they take out a week's worth of clothes anyway.

Oh, and I travel with packing cubes, which many people now do. So first thing I do when I hit a place is unpack and put everything in drawers. It is DEFINITELY my expectation to have drawers available. I personally usually need 2-3 for my stuff, just my stuff, when I unpack, because I don't take much that hangs. I have quite a few cubes and then all get laid out in single layers in the drawers. The 2nd person in the room may have their own cubes or be totally different and like hanging space. 

2 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Wardrobe and drawers are two separate things.

I'm not referring to furniture. I was asking if you think a family should clean out ALL the clothes they own. Based on your first comment, that's how it seemed.

I don't think that's practical for a short-term rental of a primary residence. But obviously I'm asking because I want to know what others would expect.

• Like 1

My thought process is that I have some empty drawers if I stay at a hotel, I would expect them for a week-long stay.

For me I would bring enough clothing for a week-long stay I would need a place to put it away.  If it was just a weekend I would not mind.  

I wouldn’t expect everything to be empty, either, though.  

But I would like a drawer.  

I have stayed at a relative’s house who has a suitcase stand thing, which I also like.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Winsome-Wood-Scarlett-Walnut-Luggage-Rack-94420/304013326?cm_mmc=Shopping|B|DD|D29B|29-59_LUGGAGE|NA|NA|71700000032323430|58700004313100019|92700036061708166&msclkid=9b2e4e58a26d16143fd215cdd1083220&gclid=CIGTxYDTrt0CFQ_eswodvCAMDw&gclsrc=ds&dclid=CNm26YDTrt0CFcpDNwodHlcP3w

Something like this — I was surprised, it was a lot easier because I wasn’t bending over and dealing with the suitcase on the ground, or taking it on and off the bed, etc.

But I also didn’t know what it was until the relative showed it to me!  

I would have to clear all my drawers if I were renting out my home. (How weird is that, to leave your clothes behind?) But I can't really fathom a situation where I'd rent out my home, with all my belongings left behind. 

When I travel, I am perfectly content living out of a suitcase. The only time I've ever used closets and drawer space was a week-long Disney trip. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PeachyDoodle said:

I'm not referring to furniture. I was asking if you think a family should clean out ALL the clothes they own. Based on your first comment, that's how it seemed.

I don't think that's practical for a short-term rental of a primary residence. But obviously I'm asking because I want to know what others would expect.

If I'm a stranger and I'm paying through VRBO, etc., yes I would expect the drawers to be cleared. I would probably mention it in a review if they weren't. If the drawers lock, that's different. If I know the owners (ie. they're doing me a personal favor), that's different.

A luggage rack would not be satisfactory to me, and I would mention it negatively in reviews. I expect drawers. I pack with travel cubes, which allow me to take all my things out of my deep suitcase and line them up neatly in drawers in a matter of seconds. It would be highly dissatisfactory not to have drawers or something at least roughly equivalent, like cleared waist height shelves in a closet.

Y'all, it's just different with AirBnB. I would expect a cleared space in a hotel/inn. I would expect a mostly cleared space in a VRBO (personal items limited to things like books and games and a few photos, other personal items in designated closets or rooms that are probably locked). I would NOT expect ANYTHING from an AirBnB. You just never freaking know with AirBnB. That's the whole point. If you go in on an AirBnB, this is what you're risking. If you aren't comfortable with it, don't do AirBnB. Or, at the very least, read the reviews carefully.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lecka said:

I have never done air bnb, this is good to know.  

To be clear, SOME AirBnB's will be pristine, hotel-like spaces with plenty of drawers. But I wouldn't automatically expect it ever. It would be something you'd have to specifically be looking for.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Y'all, it's just different with AirBnB. I would expect a cleared space in a hotel/inn. I would expect a mostly cleared space in a VRBO (personal items limited to things like books and games and a few photos, other personal items in designated closets or rooms that are probably locked). I would NOT expect ANYTHING from an AirBnB. You just never freaking know with AirBnB. That's the whole point. If you go in on an AirBnB, this is what you're risking. If you aren't comfortable with it, don't do AirBnB. Or, at the very least, read the reviews carefully.

Oh my, then that explains a lot! I've done multiple VRBO and had considered AirBnB for our last trip, and I just assumed there were similar expectations. Somehow I did not pick up the clue phone from their website about there being this difference. So how would a customer distinguish what they're walking into? The reviewers will say oh it's nice they cleared it out, like it was a perk? Or the listing will say? 

If you want to know if there will be empty drawers, you can email the listing person and ask. They are usually open to questions.

When I travel I never unpack into drawers (personal bad luck). I like a luggage rack and empty surfaces. I also like a drying rack - with clothespins if I have to set it up on a balcony!

@gardenmom5 - you can Google the washing machine and find the manuals online and in English. That is what I have done in Europe. I think the last place must have imported their washer from Finland or somewhere Nordic. I also try to pack "durable" clothes for this reason. ?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Oh my, then that explains a lot! I've done multiple VRBO and had considered AirBnB for our last trip, and I just assumed there were similar expectations. Somehow I did not pick up the clue phone from their website about there being this difference. So how would a customer distinguish what they're walking into? The reviewers will say oh it's nice they cleared it out, like it was a perk? Or the listing will say? 

It’ll list if there are drawers or a closet or you can ask. You can usually tell from the listing and reviews if it’s someone’s home or if it’s a dedicated AirBnB space, but not always. We stayed at one place in NYC that had very odd personal stuff left about.

Some AirBnB’s are just like VRBO’s, but some are a foldout bed in someone’s extra room and a shared bathroom. It varies dramatically. You really have to read the listing and reviews and ask to clarify anything.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, SusanC said:

@gardenmom5 - you can Google the washing machine and find the manuals online and in English. That is what I have done in Europe. I think the last place must have imported their washer from Finland or somewhere Nordic. I also try to pack "durable" clothes for this reason. ?

we spent little time in the apartments.  we used them for sleeping.   don't' think we ever cooked anything more complex than scrambled eggs. (two or three times the entire two week trip.)   we ran the dishwasher with next to nothing in it.

the owner had no complaints about dirty towels on the washing machine.  everything else was cleaned up.

4 hours ago, PeachyDoodle said:

Ummm . . . I think maybe I know the event for which you (or whoever you're asking for) is renting their house. If what I'm thinking is correct then I'd make an effort to clear out at least a few drawers and some closet space. Those people probably expect it, I think.

And if I'm wrong about the event you can just ignore this. ? 

ETA: I originally voted "no" because I personally find putting my things in a stranger's (or hotel) drawers incredibly icky, but after reading the entire thread and realizing what you're likely referring to -- I'd change my vote if I could.

Edited by Pawz4me

I've been a busy, successful Airbnb host for three years now.  Our listing is a separate apartment attached to a house (not our house; we have long term renters on the other side).  It's a completely private/separate space.  Guests can choose to add on a second bedroom (or not) - either way it's a separate space.  The second bedroom is a little bit larger, a real bedroom with a full-sized closet (whereas the sleeping space in the studio is an 8x8 or so room with no closet or anything; I do have some hooks with hangers on them in there if guests want to hang something up).  I have no dresser anywhere in the entire apartment.  If I did, because it's a separate/dedicated space, the drawers would be empty, or at least most of them would be.  If I did use any, it would be for things related to the Airbnb endeavor. 

The stays I host vary from one night to ten days (I used to host longer stays, but now limit it to 10 days). I'd say most stays are 1-2 days, a few are 3-5 and occasionally it's more than that.  Not unheard of; occasionally to the tune of one every couple or three months maybe.  I have something like 260 reviews at this point.  Not once, ever, in the three years I've been doing this has someone mentioned that they wished there had been a dresser.  I don't think the question has even been asked.  Maybe that has to do with the fact that most of my stays are shorter term (1 to 4 or 5 nights), but I don't know.  It seems like if this were a thing, I would be asked about it more or that I would hear about it more in the reviews / private feedback. 

Just some information to throw into the mix. 

As for the gal asked to do laundry.  Was this Airbnb?  Was it included in their description?   If so, yes, you should start the laundry.  You agreed to it when you booked the space if it was described in the listing.  If it wasn't, and they just asked you verbally to do it when you checked in, I still don't see it as that big of a deal and it's probably super helpful.  I work almost full time besides my Airbnb endeavor (in addition to homeschooling three kids), and the laundry is sometimes what gets me in the end.  It's so very constant.  I ask people to wash dishes before they leave; I don't see much difference from that and starting a load of laundry.  Just my opinion.  ?

Edited by milovany