Menu

Wordly Wise or just read a lot

lulalu

I don't know which book you would begin with but I am using Wordly Wise for the first time with my little ones (we began with Book K just because I wanted to) and they love it! It is one of their favorite times in our school day. I add a lot to it in order to liven it up and use the word cards a lot for story-telling, etc. Even my 8 and 9yo like to sit in on the lessons. So for me it is worth it as it is such a short amount of time spent on something they enjoy so much. After the first two books I don't know if I will continue as I like Total Language Plus for literature/vocabulary.

• Like 1

We looked at the younger grades and found that most of the vocabulary (if not all) is everyday use words.  They aren't anything that a child won't pick up on their own if they have exposure to books and conversation.
We did use Wordly Wise in middle school and appreciated the program, which is why I looked at it for elementary.  If we do end up using it again, it will be around 6th or 7th grade, not before.

• Like 2

I've never used a vocabulary program (although I have bought 2 haha), and my two oldest kids have great vocabularies and have had no problems transitioning to school. In fact, middle DD, who just started 8th grade at a local private school got 100% on her first vocabulary quiz. She was shocked that she was the only one who knew the vocabulary words to study (stoop, appalled, pier, etc). 

Note: as the kids got older, I did make a point of increasing vocabulary through read alouds. I used various guides that had vocabulary lists and would go over the words before/after we read. I never had anyone write them out or anything though.

• Like 1

Link to Wordly Wise word list http://www.nestlearning.com/files/PDF/ww3k_word_list-level.pdf

My DS12 benefitted from vocabulary curriculum because he read a lot more non-fiction than fiction. He was in a public charter that uses Wordly Wise for lower elementary and Vocabulary Workshop from 3rd grade and up. Vocabulary Workshop suits him better. My DS13 reads a lot of every kind of books and breeze through vocabulary workbooks but he had fun and did learn some new words.

• Like 1