Menu

Suggestions for HS Math Review

I'm looking for a math textbook - not online stuff - to help my senior work through and shore up his Algebra.  I was intrigued by the Learn Math Fast books so I printed off the practice tests.  He did pretty well and with a few reminders he worked through most everything and began getting hung up with algebra skills (slope, for example).  He remembered solving for x and the distributive property but, alas, factoring and completing the square were not remembered without a whole lot of prodding.  As long as the formula was provided for geometry problems, he could work through those.  We've used MUS through almost all of Alg 2 and overall during the use of the program he did pretty well - some days/lessons were better than others.  I know that he struggles with memory/retention but with visual cues (formulas on a list, for example) he appears to do pretty well.  I'm waiting on testing results (next Thursday) to confirm and learn more specifics of what his LDs are for sure and how to accommodate and make a plan for the year to get him graduated (we delayed it for a year).  He still has a strong desire to attend the local CC so with that in mind my main goal is to have him place high enough in the Compass placement test for the local CC in the spring to hopefully avoid the developmental math courses and place in basic math courses that count for credit for a non-stem/science major.  Current thoughts are another algebra course ? I've looked at Introductory Algebra (Lials) and the Jacobs one offered at Masterbooks but any other suggestions would be much appreciated.  I know there is Khan on the computer but screen learning is definitely not a good fit for this fellow.  At this point I'm comfortable teaching the course as I've been working through Algebra I and II for the past 2 years so it is definitely very fresh in my mind.  ? 

Have you looked at Keys to Algebra? I haven't used it, because we switched to brick and mortar school before high school, but I've heard that others like it. I think I've heard opinions that it's not a complete course, yet it is not slight, either -- there are 10 workbooks. So perhaps it could work for some intense review.

• Like 1

To clarify, this is something you can spend a year on? Not needing a quick review?

My Ds used this program (divided into 2 books) for Algebra 1 — and I got a used teacher book to go  with  it.  Whether it would be good for your son depends on what is hard for him   For example this can be helpful for dysgraphia because it is in workbook form    I don’t think it has the clearest explanations possible, but know a student who supplemented with online help (like Khan videos) when the book was murky .  I think it was pretty good on slope and has a decent glossary in the back to help    It is a full algebra 1 course  

HMH Algebra 1: Interactive Student... https://www.amazon.com/dp/0544368177?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

another option seems to me to be to go back over MUS. 

Thank you for the feedback.  I found sample exams for the 8 units the college tests on  to decide upon placement.  Basically you work through each level until you miss too many and then, depending on how far you made decides whether you score into developmental courses or degree-driven math courses.  If I get him through level 4/5 we'll be good as the higher levels are more STEM driven and not thinking that is where he is headed.  I've printed out Unit 1 and 2 and my ds is working through those and from those results we'll review and reteach the skills that he has completely drawn a blank on - I can see a few just from watching him go through the first 18 questions (there are 36 for unit 1).  I think the Lials Basic college math book I found on Amazon will probably work on reviewing those weak skills.  I've also seen a Lials book that reviews basic, pre algebra and algebra which might be a better choice but the book weighs about a million pounds and is about 7 inches thick!  ha ha!  Thankfully I have access to an awesome used bookstore that has lots of books to choose from which has been a great help.