Menu

BYL workload (2 & 8) how do you get it all done?!

MDL

I’m pulling out my hair with all the little things to do in BYL for my boys. I’ve eliminated copywork and narration as we do other LA things.  So, I’m really just trying to get through the readings, questions timeline and mapwork. We briefly discuss the vocabulary lists over a meal. 

Others have thought my 8th graders schedule was not light (intended for a light year for him): Lukeion Latin 2, LToW 1 Online class, Physics for 21st cent citizens (he loves all these classes, and wants to continue) self paced AoPS pre-algebra (finish and work into algebra 1. He loved this last year, but is having difficulty getting back into the swing after summer) BYL 8. Hoping to add a group logical fallacy discussion. 

For my 3rd grader the line up looks like this: wOL 1, writing & rhetoric fable, BYL 2, aas 3-4, beast academy online and VP self paced medieval. BYL 2 is just to reinforce the medieval history, so we are doing light version. He is into Harry Potter at the moment, so we are also doing the BYL Harry Potter unit study. He swings from extremely easy and willing to work to utter refusals, but those are rare. 

We also do history of classical music and other small things like fallacy detective, etc, at the kitchen table over meals  

We are into week 2 and I am struggling to keep up. What do you think is overkill here, if anything? I’m very worried about squashing the little guys love of learning. And I’ve posted last week that my older boy might want to go to ps next year, which has me in a lather. To thwart that, I’m trying to make this year as great as possible, but I’m a bit like a chicken running around with her head cut off. Sports, you want those? Ok! More play dates? Ok! Library day? Ok! A group class? Ok! My kids are far enough apart in age, that it’s difficult to combine much anymore, and I cannot be two places at once. Eldest is annoyed and distracted by youngest, so he is left at the kitchen computer to work AoPS, latin, etc, while I tend to third grade in the school room. 

The school year is just getting started and it feels like February. Give me advice, please?

I can totally relate and would love to tips to get everything finished. My 8th grader is doing byl8 without narration and dictation. His other classes are wtma expository writing 2, wtma aops algebra, wtma Geography (which I tried to convince him to cancel), an outside science class 2x a week (with homework), vocab study, analytical grammar (starting next  week), and he wants to do ancient history. 

This week has been tough. We are one day short because of labor day and he didn't get much finished on Tuesday either from being distracted.  

This is where we stand as of right now with byl8 week 1

Art - none completed with a goal to read the first part today and write a very short summary or basic outline, second part over the weekend

Astronomy for all ages- nothing done, maybe we will do it over the weekend

Golden Goblet- complete through day 4, Egyptian good packet nothing done

History- with all of the reading and being worried the book is too dry, I summarized day one reading for him and he completed the timeline and map for the first day. Goal is the rest over the weekend

Poetry - he annotated the poem and began memorizing it

Story of science - he read ch 1-2 and completed study guide, goal to finish 3 today or this weekend

Science- read and outlined the encyclopedia for the first reading, goal is to finish the 2nd by the end of the weekend

Magic of reality- goal was to use as a read aloud and discuss, haven't started.

Byl is so much when you are trying to do other subjects. I hope next week his time is spent wiser than this past week and he isn't scrambling over the weekend to finish. He also has 9 hours of a competitive sport during the week. I am not sure how I will survive the year without going crazy!!

Edited by SJ.
  • Like 1

BYL 8 is meant to be a FULL history program, a FULL science program, and a FULL literature program. The year my oldest did it we only added math, Latin, Bible, a semester of digital design, and a gentle online writing class. And it was a very, very full year. There is no way we could have done BYL 8 with any more English (it contains plenty of vocab and writing assignments), science, or history courses in addition to it.

• Like 3

I think you answer is probably contained in Clear Creek's response. I am unfamiliar with BYL, but I am one who thought you schedule looked "not light" without knowing what BYL covered.

I don't think the issue is not combining. I have rarely combined and feel more stressed combining. I am not sure how on earth you could combine 3rd and 8th graders and have either one be getting anything of much value except possibly some lit.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SJ. said:

I can totally relate and would love to tips to get everything finished. My 8th grader is doing byl8 without narration and dictation. His other classes are wtma expository writing 2, wtma aops algebra, wtma Geography (which I tried to convince him to cancel), an outside science class 2x a week (with homework), vocab study, analytical grammar (starting next  week), and he wants to do ancient history. 

This week has been tough. We are one day short because of labor day and he didn't get much finished on Tuesday either from being distracted.  

This is where we stand as of right now with byl8 week 1

Art - none completed with a goal to read the first part today and write a very short summary or basic outline, second part over the weekend

Astronomy for all ages- nothing done, maybe we will do it over the weekend

Golden Goblet- complete through day 4, Egyptian good packet nothing done

History- with all of the reading and being worried the book is too dry, I summarized day one reading for him and he completed the timeline and map for the first day. Goal is the rest over the weekend

Poetry - he annotated the poem and began memorizing it

Story of science - he read ch 1-2 and completed study guide, goal to finish 3 today or this weekend

Science- read and outlined the encyclopedia for the first reading, goal is to finish the 2nd by the end of the weekend

Magic of reality- goal was to use as a read aloud and discuss, haven't started.

Byl is so much when you are trying to do other subjects. I hope next week his time is spent wiser than this past week and he isn't scrambling over the weekend to finish. He also has 9 hours of a competitive sport during the week. I am not sure how I will survive the year without going crazy!!

I had a detailed reply typed up, lost it and then dinner happened. 

I guess I thought that BYL was lighter, with lots of reading. Maybe it’s just too much. 

How important is it to do physical mapwork and/or timelines? I feel like they miss out on some essential brain synapse connections. 

8fillTheHeart, do you think it would be light to manageable if I dropped BYL 8? I know Lukeion is a big one that is neither light nor easy. But it’s the one place this guy has done the hard work and reaped the rewards (A in Latin 1, great score on the NLE and he passed with high honors into CTY in language, not that we have any time to use their program this semester, though)

So....we are doing BYL 1 (with my 3rd grader)  and 2 with my 5th grader.  We are on wk 3.  We use something else for science.

From BYL we do - read-alouds, SOTW, art, poetry and some vocab.  I don't follow the "days", I follow subjects.  So, I don't break down SOTW chapter into 3 days, I just read it all in one day, they are not that long.  I do vocab at the beg and end of the week.  Kind of like pre-view and review. I read books sometimes during lunch, sometimes during school, but again, I don't always stop at "chapters of the day".  And we do art only once a week, so whatever was supposed to be covered during the week gets covered that day.

I found it too much hassle to be flipping between history, art, read-aloud.  Also, I like break up "listening" subjects with "doing" subjects.  So, we'll do history for half an hour and then math for another half an hour.  And then I might go back to art or poetry.  And then to science.

Oh and by 3rd grade we are not doing copywork anymore.  I follow WWE and it stops after 2nd grade, so copywork is completely out and narration is covered in WWE

HTH

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

From BYL we do - read-alouds, SOTW, art, poetry and some vocab.  I don't follow the "days", I follow subjects.  So, I don't break down SOTW chapter into 3 days, I just read it all in one day, they are not that long.  I do vocab at the beg and end of the week.  Kind of like pre-view and review. I read books sometimes during lunch, sometimes during school, but again, I don't always stop at "chapters of the day".  And we do art only once a week, so whatever was supposed to be covered during the week gets covered that day.

I found it too much hassle to be flipping between history, art, read-aloud.  Also, I like break up "listening" subjects with "doing" subjects.  So, we'll do history for half an hour and then math for another half an hour.  And then I might go back to art or poetry.  And then to science.

I like this idea. Maybe I will look at next week and see if everything will be more manageable if he focuses on subjects instead of daily work. Thanks!

16 hours ago, MDL said:

I had a detailed reply typed up, lost it and then dinner happened. 

I guess I thought that BYL was lighter, with lots of reading. Maybe it’s just too much. 

How important is it to do physical mapwork and/or timelines? I feel like they miss out on some essential brain synapse connections. 

8fillTheHeart, do you think it would be light to manageable if I dropped BYL 8? I know Lukeion is a big one that is neither light nor easy. But it’s the one place this guy has done the hard work and reaped the rewards (A in Latin 1, great score on the NLE and he passed with high honors into CTY in language, not that we have any time to use their program this semester, though)

I think it would be manageable if only math and spelling (unless it is in the early programs)  was added to the program. I think in early elementary I would have been fine just adding math and spelling but in later years my family needs more in depth writing.