Menu

The Public Speaking Prep Teachers Lounge 9-7-2018

scrapbookbuzz

Good morning, all, and welcome to the Lounge!

Today's theme stems from the fact that I have a speaking engagement tonight. Yesterday I walked into the venue and the proprietor (also my friend) asked, "Are you prepared for 
tomorrow night?" To which I replied, "I will be." I'm speaking about a unique writing conference I recently attended: The Writers Police Academy. This is the second time I've been to it and it
was just as much fun as the last time!

Anyone here do public speaking? Here: see up above - this will make my second time giving a public speaking review of that particular conference. I've also done standup comedy in the past.

What are your plans for the weekend? Here: this morning, take the dog and my dd's cat to get their shots; this afternoon: print pictures from the conference and polish the speech. Tomorrow, I feel like there is something going on during the day but at the moment, don't remember what it is. Tomorrow night is church, and Sunday, since football season is started, I will be working security the NFL game at the University of Phoenix Stadium.

Any vacations/trips coming up? Here: sometime in Sept, mid-week, we're doing an overnight camping trip as a family. I am definitely ready to get out of the city again!

Talk to me!

• Like 1

Howdy,

I was running errands all morning.  Library then a quick trip by my classroom.

I don't do public speaking unless you count teaching a class or running a 4-H club.  I used to do presentations to zoo visitors.  Public speaking doesn't bother me, I just don't do it very much anymore.

Dh is taking the younger kids to visit his parents this weekend.  They are leaving tonight after we serve dinner at a homeless shelter.  I will spend the weekend cleaning, preparing for classes since I start next week, setting up school, and relaxing.  Oldest dd and I are going out to dinner tomorrow night and then coming back to the house to watch a movie since there's nothing playing in local theaters that looks at all interesting.

No vacations planned.  My class session runs for 8 weeks, then I have a week off then 8 more weeks (with breaks for Thanksgiving and Christmas).  I might try to pull off a weekend to my favorite Connecticut bookstore but nothing more than that.  Dh used up a lot of his vacation time helping me get the classroom ready.

• Like 1

Good afternoon, Scrap!  It was co-op day, so I've been there since early this morning. 

I'm the same as Where's Toto. I don't do public speaking for any kind of living, but I do lead groups and teach. I don't mind speaking in front of those groups. 

We heard about my dad's cancer. He has stage 2 Hodgkin's. It is contained to his neck and chest area in the middle. They are recommending a bone marrow biopsy to narrow down which kind of chemo and hopefully shorten the length of it. If he does nothing to treat it, he would have about 2 years. So, he wants to try the chemo since it has a good probability of curing it. 

We don't have plans out this weekend. Dh is going to be replacing some mulch and doing some yard work. I need to do some deep cleaning and lesson planning. My best friend is coming over in the morning. She hasn't seen our new floors yet. Church is Sunday, and ds will have practice all afternoon for his drama team and Christmas program. Dh and I will probably turn the afternoon into a date. 

No vacation plans soon, but our family might all be going to Disney in March, depending on this with daddy. We will visit family in October during dh's fall break and again during Christmas break. We have family from here (below Atlanta) all the way to southern Ohio. 

Good to see the both of you in here! mom, sorry about your Dad. The older I get and the more I think about what options are out there, the less I support chemo as an option. I wish doctors would learn that too! However, if someone decides that is for them, then so be it. I'm not living their life! ? Hope you have fun with all your family-visiting plans!

Finding this thread really late. Hope your presentation went really well, Scrap. You are a star if you've done stand up! That has got to be the toughest gig ever. I highly admire people who can speak in public and be funny at the same time. What an awesome talent. Hope you get more opportunities to do this.

I find it easier these days to sing in public rather than speak. I'm at the stage where I forget simple words all the time when I try to carry on an intelligent conversation. It's so annoying and embarrassing. I really hope that some extra brain work I'm doing this fall as a Grad student will help improve my word recall. 

This weekend I'm heading out of town to my beloved uncle's funeral. He got hit by a car while riding his bike and passed away. So sad and shocking. My dd and I are performing a couple songs at the funeral.