Menu

Primary care physician or Obgyn?

Mabelen

Is there a doctor that the young woman has an existing relationship and feels comfortable with?  If so, I would start there.  

If the young woman chooses to start with a gyn and has never been to a gyn before, I would suggest trying to find a gyn who does not have a large OB practice to minimize the chances of sitting in the waiting room full of pregnant women while the doctor has left to deliver a baby.

• Like 1

gyn. Dd had that problem at 14, and when she did cycle it was horribly painful. Her pediatrician sent her to a pediatric gyn. I was grateful for that option. Anyway,they were able to determine through blood tests that dd has pcos. Gyns are better at hormones and lite endocrine overlap. Things are better now and at least she could start treatment for the pcos before she started gaining a lot of weight (which happened to me at 17 before they identified my pcos.)

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the advice and for sharing your personal experience.

My gut was telling me that an obgyn was better, but my hesitation was that she doesn't have a obgyn. She has had a Pap smear but that was with her primary care doctor. My obgyn is an older male doctor and, while that works ok for me, I don't think it will suit her very well. We will be asking for recommendations in our area.

• Like 1