Menu

So exhausted, but I made today..... UPDATE in OP for the curious

Um_2_4

30+ meals to put in the freezer...... Where is that fainting emoji when I need it.:blink: So it's been 6 weeks and here is my update...... I LOVE having these in the freezer.... see my notes what is left below. We;ve ordered pizza or sushi a couple times and I made fish or shrimp a few times.

We are not a fan of typical freezer meals, so I came up with ones using the meals we usually eat. Some I've made before, some not. Here's my list:

• Chili - 2 bags + 1 for dinner tonight 1 bag left.... yummy... will make again
  • 2 ravioli bakes with homemade meat sauce One of the best... all gone <insert sad face>
  • 2 bags Moroccan Lentil Stew for crockpot 1 left... not the kids favorite , DH likes it and good for leftovers for lunch
  • 1 - crockpot Asian lettuce wraps filling wasn't a fan of the recipe
  • 2 - Crockpot kung pao beef yeah, no.... 1 left, sadly....
  • 2 - crockpot Hungarian goulash Awesome as usual.... love it... all gone
  • 1 - Crockpot Salsa Verde Beef for tacos .. all gone, pretty good
  • 2- Crockpot zesty orange beef yeah no, maybe as a stirfry, but not in the crockpot, all gone
  • 2 -steak bites with fried potato skillet kits (I marinaded the meat and froze in 1 bag, then par boiled the potatoes to skillet fry and put those in a separate bag) awesome recipe, will make again, all gone
  • 2- fajita kits... 1 left, always a hit
  • 2 - beef kabob bags both left, been to hot to BBQ....
  • 3- meatloaves with sauce 1 left DD12's favorite
  • 4 bags of premade kafta (I can bake or grill) 1 left, this is a huge hit and big help
  • 2- Garlic pepper steak stir fry kits (each component frozen separate) all gone, AWESOME, should have made more...
  • 2 bags marinading shawarma (to stir fry or roast or grill) all gone, AWESOME, should have made more...

Then tomorrow I need to finish the hamburgers and meatballs (14 pounds of meat). Still have 8 burgers left and 2 bags of meatballs...

Then I'll do the meatless meals: stuffed grape leaves and spinach lasagna roll ups. We ate all the grape leaves in one setting, I can never make enough of those  and I skipped the roll ups as I ran out of room 

With leftovers, this should last 6-7 weeks, I hope. :laugh:

Edited by Um_2_4
Update
  • Like 34

Thanks all!! I shared because I knew you guys would appreciate it. My kids were like "but why mom? You could just ya know, do it the day you want to eat it." 

They simply don't know the number of times my brain has been fried at 4pm and I can not put a dinner plan together for the life of me.

I did this once about 2 years ago, but just followed some recipes on Pinterest we had never tried, thankfully I only did 1 bag of each, because we only liked 1 or 2 recipes.

The zesty orange beef is new, but the sauce smelled awesome as I was mixing it. I wanted to taste it right then.

• Like 3

Well, update, I made 3 bags of 8 burgers each plus 10 burgers to cook for dinner tonight.  Plus 3 bags of meatballs, 25 per bag. I'm done for now as I am out of room!!!! (This pretty much all fits in my freezer in the fridge in our garage, except for a couple bags.) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Seriously awesome. Can you post your sharwarma recipe?

My shawrma recipe is to fly to Lebanon and buy spices ???. No seriously, I buy a special spice mix from there. I have yet to try a recipe from online that tastes authentic. So 1st I velvet the meat by soaking it in water with baking soda, cold obviously. Then I rinse it very, very well under cold water. Then put it in a Ziploc  (if for later, or a bowl if cooking now) with 1 slivered white onion for about 2 lbs meat, then add a T or so of good olive oil and  1/2 T of white vinegar. Then i add about 4-6 T of the special spice mix (depends on smell of the mix, some stores are stronger than others). Then I usually roast it on 350 in a sheet pan. Sauce is very important: tahini with salt, lemon and water,  mixed carefully with a wisk till a runny sauce (thinner than ketchup, but not watery,  should coat a spoon) and the topping: chopped white onions with chopped parsley and sumac mixed in. Served on hot flat bread.

If you Google Mediterranean market or middle eastern market near you, they may have the spice mix.

I found one brand here called sadaf. And this brand on amazon is good : Ziyad Shawarma Spice Blend, 5.5 OZ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00746FON6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZxFKBbGQEQB3A

On 9/6/2018 at 12:21 PM, Um_2_4 said:

30+ meals to put in the freezer...... Where is that fainting emoji when I need it.:blink: So it's been 6 weeks and here is my update...... I LOVE having these in the freezer.... see my notes what is left below. We;ve ordered pizza or sushi a couple times and I made fish or shrimp a few times.

We are not a fan of typical freezer meals, so I came up with ones using the meals we usually eat. Some I've made before, some not. Here's my list:

• Chili - 2 bags + 1 for dinner tonight 1 bag left.... yummy... will make again
  • 2 ravioli bakes with homemade meat sauce One of the best... all gone <insert sad face>
  • 2 bags Moroccan Lentil Stew for crockpot 1 left... not the kids favorite , DH likes it and good for leftovers for lunch
  • 1 - crockpot Asian lettuce wraps filling wasn't a fan of the recipe
  • 2 - Crockpot kung pao beef yeah, no.... 1 left, sadly....
  • 2 - crockpot Hungarian goulash Awesome as usual.... love it... all gone
  • 1 - Crockpot Salsa Verde Beef for tacos .. all gone, pretty good
  • 2- Crockpot zesty orange beef yeah no, maybe as a stirfry, but not in the crockpot, all gone
  • 2 -steak bites with fried potato skillet kits (I marinaded the meat and froze in 1 bag, then par boiled the potatoes to skillet fry and put those in a separate bag) awesome recipe, will make again, all gone
  • 2- fajita kits... 1 left, always a hit
  • 2 - beef kabob bags both left, been to hot to BBQ....
  • 3- meatloaves with sauce 1 left DD12's favorite
  • 4 bags of premade kafta (I can bake or grill) 1 left, this is a huge hit and big help
  • 2- Garlic pepper steak stir fry kits (each component frozen separate) all gone, AWESOME, should have made more...
  • 2 bags marinading shawarma (to stir fry or roast or grill) all gone, AWESOME, should have made more...

Then tomorrow I need to finish the hamburgers and meatballs (14 pounds of meat). Still have 8 burgers left and 2 bags of meatballs...

Then I'll do the meatless meals: stuffed grape leaves and spinach lasagna roll ups. We ate all the grape leaves in one setting, I can never make enough of those  and I skipped the roll ups as I ran out of room 

With leftovers, this should last 6-7 weeks, I hope. :laugh:

Oh wow!!! Where did you come up with the ideas from?  I wonder if I could do something like this in the break week we have to set us up for term.  I am a very cook up a storm then don’t cook again person.  It would make a market trip worth it too if I was doing a bulk cooking session.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I just popped back to this as I am planning another cooking session next week <insert crazy emoji here> and I wanted to see my notes.

For those that asked, some of the recipes are online: Some here on my pinterest board like the garlic pepper steak, hungarian Goulash, lentil stew, steak bites, kung pao beef, etc.

Others are just recipes I had, like the meatloaf is my mom's recipe that uses oatmeal, condensed milk, salt with a ketchup/vinegar sauce.

Kafta is just ground beef, allspice, salt, white pepper, parsley, white onion, 7 spice (lebanese one, not asian) all mixed in a food processor. I prefer lamb, but $$$$. We easily eat 2 pounds will all 6 of us.

Shwarma is sliced meat that has been velveted, then marinade in vinegar, oilive oil, salt and spices I bring back from Lebanon with sliced onion. Grill or roast at high heat. serve with flat bread, minced onion/parsley/sumac, tahini sauce, pickles, fries.

Ravioli bakes are really easy, found it on pinterest, just use frozen raviolis in place of noodles/ricotta cheese and layer with mozzarella and meat sauce. Those I use foil pans.

• Like 3