Menu

Struggling to Make Schedule for Migraine-prone Son w/Insomnia

Since my son's nervous breakdown in 2015, he's easily overwhelmed. He's also migraine prone and struggles with insomnia. I'm having a hard time making his schedule for his subjects with me; I don't want to overwhelm him. He will tell me, but I'd rather it not get there in the first place. He's also catching up in two subjects, so there's that hanging over his head: Geometry and Biolgy. So, he'll have two maths and two sciences concurrently during his 1st semester. Given, they are AYOP (at your own pace), but still lingering. 

This is what I have so far:

Online/Co-op classes:

Math, 2 hrs/wk in class-Mon, and Wed.

Latin: 90 min/wk in class - Fri.

Chem: 90m/wk Co-op - Thurs

Chess: 1hr Co-op - Thurs

3D Modeling: 1hr/wk co-op - Thurs

All Subjects broken down by how much time he SHOULD take (minus co-op and online time):

Math: 4x/w, 30-45 m/day

Latin: 4x/w, 30-45m/day (this seems to always take him longer than 45 m.)

Chemistry: 3x/w, 30-45m/day

History: 4x/w, 30-45m/day

Lit.: 4x/w, 30-45m/day

Logic: 4x/w, 20-30m/day

Grammar or Spelling: alternate-5x/w between the two of them, 15-30 m/day(only thing scheduled on Co-op day)

Health (Apologia): 3x/w, 30-45m/day

This doesn't include the two classes which he has to finish, nor our morning time together materials. I haven't even decided what to do about Literature, yet. I can't decide how much to require. I'm worried he won't be able to maintain a full schedule like this, due to his headaches and that he starts late, due to not sleeping well. Yes, we have rules about being off the computer 1-2 hours before bed, he takes melatonin and herbs for sleep. Much of it is stress due to issues I'd rather not go into, but hopefully will begin to lessen here soon. He'll do well, then he have a day or two of a headaches and it will get him "behind" and then he's feels overwhelmed. 

Any suggestions for World Lit? I have America Reads: Classics in World Lit (Scott Foresman) and Stobaugh's W. Lit. I was going to piece these together, taking chunks out of each, but it still seems to be too much.

World History: I have Western Civilization by Chambers

So much of what I had hoped for him is not working out due to outside (and internal, i.e. adopted sister's RAD and other mental illnesses) influences/stress damaging our family. And I'm going to have to get a part-time job, since my disability isn't enough, so there's that, too.

Thanks

EDIT: BTW, he's not interested in using The Great Courses for anything.

Edited by historymatters

Just to answer one thing: The Scott Foresman America Reads series is terrific. Any one of the texts really is enough for an English credit, for a student who is time challenged. I like to add one or two whole works per semester, to read and discuss a little. I'd suggest a free online guide for the discussions - try Pink Monkey, Cummings, Glencoe, or Penguin. But honestly, that is optional!! The textbook is enough.

• Like 2

Wow. So, you're dealing with DS's health recovery issues, other very serious issues with another family member (adopted sibling), and you are moving out of being the full-time homeschool support/mentor and having to juggle a part time job with managing a family AND overseeing homeschooling. Yikes.

First, (((hugs))) -- and so sorry for all that stress on the family plate.

Second, it's JMO as I don't know you and your family to know what everyone can handle or likes, and I do mean this very gently and unjudgmentally, but your plans sound a bit like you are trying to jump back onto the express train of your original plans, when your family really needs to climb aboard a slow, leisurely ferry boat and slowly get up to speed. So sorry if I'm not understanding.

Thoughts:

Overall, my first thought would be to go with all flexible courses -- so NO online (which locks you into a schedule), unless they are lecture-only and you can take longer than a school year to finish them -- and to reduce overall workload to just what is needed to help DS continue to move forward to meet college admissions. And then gently fold in a flexible elective of high interest to DS that can be picked up/put down as his health allows. And similarly with an extracurricular activity of high interest.

And I'd be putting highest priority on scheduling regular down time/rest, good nutrition, and moderate regular exercise.

I'd probably DROP all non-necessary subjects (unless of very high interest to DS):
- Grammar & Spelling since this is high school (unless DS has a remedial need for these). Both can be addressed directly in his Writing.
- Logic
- Health

I would NOT try and double up on Math and Science this year. Let DS have his recovery! If it takes him an additional semester or year to complete credits to graduate, then so be it. Not the end of the world! The most important goal here is to get DS healthy again. So all that to say, I would drop the Chemistry and the other math (just work on finishing Geometry). You can start the new Math and the Chemistry partway through the year once Geometry and Biology are finished.

So finish:
1 credit = Math: Geometry
1 credit = Science: Biology

AND start:
1 credit = English (Lit. & Writing)
1 credit = Social Studies: World History
1 credit = For. Lang: Latin
0.5-1.0 credit = Elective: 3D Modeling
+ extracurricular = Chess

- possible add: Health and/or Logic, If it looks like DS is stable and feeling up for it
- possible new subjects partway through the year: Chemistry and the next math (once Geometry and Biology are finished) -- and these can be completed either next summer or next year partway through, depending on how much gets done this year *without* pressure/stress

1 hour ago, historymatters said:

Any suggestions for World Lit? I have America Reads: Classics in World Lit (Scott Foresman) and Stobaugh's W. Lit. I was going to piece these together, taking chunks out of each, but it still seems to be too much.

I'd go for something very flexible and mostly independent, and not worry too much about matching up History and Lit this year.

I don't know anything about the Scott Foresman Lit., so it may be a great option and easy to use mostly independently. But if not, for the Lit. portion of your English credit, I'd suggest one of these mostly solo-working programs:
- Excellence in Literature -- perhaps the World Lit? (although there are some big, long, heavy works in it)
- Lightning Literature (1 semester programs) (American, British, World, Shakespeare, and other special focus programs)
- Illuminating Literature -- When Worlds Collide, or, Characters in Crisis -- each 1 year long
- Essentials in Literature -- also has an optional $99 scoring service!

For a mostly solo-working Writing portion of the English credit:
- The Power in Your Hands (1 year program -- you can spread this over 2 years of school)
- The Elegant Essay (1 semester)
- Writing Research Papers (1 semester)

You didn't ask about History, but the reviews I'm seeing of the textbook you have all say it is NOT a "beginner text". Perhaps go with something that will be a bit easier for DS to do solo? If Christian materials are okay, what about BJUP, or Switched on Schoolhouse that use videos and text? Or if secular, Pandia Press' The New Penguin History of the World?

I know I am probably suggesting much easier materials than you had originally planned, but that could help your DS experience a lot of success as he gets back into the swing of school, and allow him success in doing a lot of his work solo if you will need to be away at work a lot. And all without burning out by graduation so that moving on to college is still a positive, possible option. Just a thought.

Hoping your family has a good recovery from all the stress, and may you all find joy this year as you readjust to the "new normal" with you working. Wishing you all the very BEST! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Wow. So, you're dealing with DS's health recovery issues, other very serious issues with another family member (adopted sibling), and you are moving out of being the full-time homeschool support/mentor and having to juggle a part time job with managing a family AND overseeing homeschooling. Yikes.

The adopted sibling can't come home, due to untreated mental illnesses (my husband and I live separately, though still married; she can't live with him, either). We had to make the determination that we would not be safe and secure in our homes were she to come back. 

Second, it's JMO as I don't know you and your family to know what everyone can handle or likes, and I do mean this very gently and unjudgmentally, but your plans sound a bit like pretending none of the stressful circumstances happened or are still affecting the family, and that you are trying to jump back onto the express train of your original plans, when your DS really needs to climb aboard a slow, leisurely ferry boat. So sorry if I'm not understanding.

You're correct in the latter, but not because I'm pretending. I'm trying to get him graduated; and yes, I'm in a conflict with my hopes and dreams and the reality in front of me for what's best for him. 

My son turned 18 Monday. He's already a year "behind" from his breakdown of 2015 (which was due to our having to leave due to me husband's descent into schizoaffective disorder - but, he's doing better). As you can see, mental illness has ripped our family apart. I don't want to lose him, too, by expecting too much from him. Yes, he's receiving therapy.

would NOT try and double up on Math and Science this year

He won't have enough credits if I follow this suggestion. If I drop Math and Chemistry, he won't have any credits in those subjects for last year. (He can go at his own pace with Biology: modules 1-6, may spread all year; and Geometry: last two chapters, spread till March)

I can drop: Logic; Grammar/Spelling (not a remedial student); Health (I will have to pick this up at some point b/c it's required)

Re: Writing - he's already done 3 years of writing courses (Writeshop I & II in one year, Elegant Essay, Writing ER). He just needs more practice on Research, Persuasive. and Lit. Analysis. Those I was going to put off till next year.

You didn't ask about History, but the reviews I'm seeing of the textbook you have all say it is NOT a "beginner text". Perhaps go with something that will be a bit easier for DS to do solo? If Christian materials are okay, what about BJUP, or Switched on Schoolhouse that use videos and text? Or if secular, Pandia Press' The New Penguin History of the World?

Not BJU; maybe Notgrass. SOS: we're trying to get away from unnecessary computer usage. I'll take a look at Pandia Press. The Penguin book was on my short list, but I had some concerns based on some reviews, so I'll double check. 

Right now, he doesn't want to go to college, at least not too soon. Which I understand. Everything has been so hard. He's had to put forth so much effort. I expect he'll take a year off, but I think in two years from now, his views will be different. I'm not pushing.

Hoping your family has a good recovery from all the stress, and may you all find joy this year as you readjust to the "new normal" with you working. Wishing you all the very BEST! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you.

Edited by historymatters
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lori D. said:

And I'd be putting highest priority on scheduling regular down time/rest, good nutrition, and moderate regular exercise

Yes, I have an exercise DVD for him to start and our plan to walk, his riding his bike; get Vit. D. He gained weight during this time period: emotional eating.

Didn't think about scheduling downtime, Duh. Working on his appetite and choices. I'm struggling, too.

Edited by historymatters
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tibbie Dunbar said:

Just to answer one thing: The Scott Foresman America Reads series is terrific. Any one of the texts really is enough for an English credit, for a student who is time challenged. I like to add one or two whole works per semester, to read and discuss a little. I'd suggest a free online guide for the discussions - try Pink Monkey, Cummings, Glencoe, or Penguin. But honestly, that is optional!! The textbook is enough.

That's good to hear. I got the idea to use it from positive reviews here. I found the teacher's edition to go with it. I would take the more obscure readings out of it so I can add in a few novels as you and Lori recommended.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, historymatters said:

The adopted sibling... [and husband's situation]...

Oh, I am so very sorry for the incredibly difficult situations your family has endured, and for the tragic consequences all the way around. I am not quoting, in case you don't to keep those details in the thread. (((hugs)))

You're correct in the latter, but not because I'm pretending. I'm trying to get him graduated; and yes, I'm in a conflict with my hopes and dreams and the reality in front of me for what's best for him...

I was very embarrassed at my assumptive word choice and edited, but not before you responded, so I apologize you actually saw that. I know this is your goal, and have every confidence that you are working towards this.

...My son turned 18... He won't have enough credits if I... I drop Math and Chemistry, he won't have any credits in those subjects for last year. (He can go at his own pace with Biology: modules 1-6, may spread all year; and Geometry: last two chapters, spread till March)

I can drop: Logic; Grammar/Spelling (not a remedial student); Health (I will have to pick this up at some point b/c it's required)

Re: Writing - he's already done 3 years of writing courses (Writeshop I & II in one year, Elegant Essay, Writing ER). He just needs more practice on Research, Persuasive. and Lit. Analysis. Those I was going to put off till next year...

Your DS is older and farther along than I thought, so most of my suggestions are not a fit. It sounds like the co-op would be a very good idea, both for help with outsourcing and taking the load off of you, but also for opportunities for DS to have some positive social interactions and class support. Wishing you all the BEST as you all move forward.

Right now, he doesn't want to go to college, at least not too soon. Which I understand. Everything has been so hard. He's had to put forth so much effort. I expect he'll take a year off, but I think in two years from now, his views will be different. I'm not pushing...

You are very wise. He has all kinds of time to wait and decide what he wants to do. ? And waiting to start college can bring the benefit of additional "free money" from the gov't, as full Pell grant amounts kick in once a student is 24yo, as that is when the parents' financials are no longer included in the FAFSA. But that is a discussion for much further down the line... ?

Blessings for you ALL that this year will be a quiet and restorative place of refuge and of regaining joy in being a family together. Again, so very very sorry it has been such a damaging and difficult season. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Oh, I am so very sorry for the incredibly difficult situations your family has endured, and for the tragic consequences all the way around. I am not quoting, in case you don't to keep those details in the thread. (((hugs)))

Thank you. I altered it. Yes, there's some things you just never think are possible...now you know better and you're damaged goods.

14 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

I was very embarrassed at my assumptive word choice and edited, but not before you responded, so I apologize you actually saw that. I know this is your goal, and have every confidence that you are working towards this.

I appreciate that. 

15 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

You are very wise. He has all kinds of time to wait and decide what he wants to do. ? And waiting to start college can bring the benefit of additional "free money" from the gov't, as full Pell grant amounts kick in once a student is 24yo, as that is when the parents' financials are no longer included in the FAFSA. But that is a discussion for much further down the line... ?

That's good to know. 

15 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Blessings for you ALL that this year will be a quiet and restorative place of refuge and of regaining joy in being a family together.

Yes, therein is the most important piece.

20 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Your DS is older and farther along than I thought

Yes, the stress, trauma, and pain from his Dad's situation in 2014 when we left, to this last year and a half, has been his high school experience.

So, I want these last two years to be manageable and reparative. That's why I need ideas from others.

Edited by historymatters

I think it would be helpful for us to know what high school classes he has completed already, and potential future goals as far as college (community college?  four year university?  Easier or more competitive four-year university?) and maybe what state you are in, so we can help you brainstorm.

FWIW, my dd lost a lot of her 10th grade year due to surgery, so I have sort of been in a similar situation.  But now we are in 12th grade and looking good for a somewhat gentle university.

21 hours ago, perkybunch said:

I think it would be helpful for us to know what high school classes he has completed already, and potential future goals as far as college (community college?  four year university?  Easier or more competitive four-year university?) and maybe what state you are in, so we can help you brainstorm.

FWIW, my dd lost a lot of her 10th grade year due to surgery, so I have sort of been in a similar situation.  But now we are in 12th grade and looking good for a somewhat gentle university.

Thus far, with its credit amt:

Debate, 0.5; Speech, 0.5; American Lit., 0.75; Writing ER, 1.0; Writing Elegant Essays, 0.5; The Write Shop, 1.0; Lord of the Rings, Lit. Analysis, 0.75; Latin 1A and 1B, 1.0; Physical Science, 1.0; Space and Earth Science, 0.5; Biology (1.0, in process); Chemistry (1.0, in process); Phys. Ed, 0.5; Physical Geo., 0.5; W. History (1.0, pending this year); W. Lit (1.0, pending this year); Alg. 1 (1.0, pending this year); Geometry (1.0, in process); 3D Modeling and Animation, 0.5-1.0 (in process); Discovering Music, 1.0 (this year); Latin 2 (in process, 1.0); Trad. Logic I (0.5, in-process)

Total complete: 8.5

Pending or In-process: 9 - 9.5

Subjects left, not mentioned above spread this year and next: Health, 1.0; Trad. Logic II, 0.5; Material Logic, 0.5 and/or Rhetoric, 0.5-1.0; British Lit., 1.0; Continue 3D mod, 0.5-1.0; America's Musical Legacy, 1.0; Anatomy and Physiology, 1.0 (4th science or a non-mathy Physics); Cultural Geography, 1.0; Economics, 0.5; Gov., 0.5; two-or three 8wk classes at Lantern, 0.5-0.75

Continue Chess, he loves it.

His math got all screwed up, I'm not even going to try to explain. Suffice to say, he'll finish Geometry - he has until March 2019 to finish two chapters and a final; leftover from Mr. D this past summer. He'll take Alg. 1 this year with myhomeschoolmathclass and next year, Alg. II and Personal Finance to equal 4 credits of math.

He's not interested in college, but I hope that changes as his bouts diminish and he gets stronger. His main interest lies in editing and modeling (computer), but he doesn't know what he wants to do, yet. I said he doesn't need to know to get a couple years under his belt, and he could do most, if not all, online. There's also a big movie industry in GA, if he wants to strengthen his talents and pursue that, but he can't even think that far. 

He's just trying to get through each day. 

I am trying to get the basics covered so he's presentable to a decent community college and/or tech/art school for computer arts (?)

I'd like to get a few CLEP done before he graduates, one each of the SAT and ACT.

I have decided to continue our year-round schooling, instead of only a 32 wk schedule. I will just spread things out more that I do with him and shorten his days and schedule more breaks.

I appreciate your help.

Edited by historymatters

Just some comments, take them for what they're worth:  It looks like you have enough science without adding Anatomy.  Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry, and Earth and Space Science (which I would be tempted to call something like Astronomy .5 credits and Geology .5 credits).  I do see that Georgia has something called Earth Systems which might be the same thing as Earth and Space Science, I'm not sure.  So in my view, you could drop Anatomy and not double up on Science since you still have two years to go.  Also it looks like you have Physical Geography, which is either a science or a social studies depending on what you studied there.

Health, from what I can tell and from my experience, tends to be a semester course, and therefore .5 credit.  So don't overdo that.

I would drop the the Logic, personally.  

You only need four total credits of English, and it looks like he's almost there, so you might want to skip British Lit.

((hugs))  Best wishes for your son's education!

• Like 1

My dd didn't have mental health issues, but she became very migraine prone, and in fact began having them every single day (for years now, actually) right before entering 11th grade.  Any tiny, tiny thing could set it off.  I think her entire system is just so sensitive to anything and everything.  Migraines run deeply in our family, but hers were and are far worse and stubborn than anyone else's.  Up till then she was a very hard worker and I could give her as much work as I wanted.  During her last two years of high school, we had to scale down, a lot.  I figured out what would be absolutely necessary for her to graduate from high school, and left it at that.  As someone else said, we had no outside expectations to live up to (no co-op or online classes, etc.) so she could complete things on her own schedule.  In math, I ended up choosing only a small set of problems from each lesson (rather than all of the problems);  if she did well on them, we'd move on.  Literature -- which was always something she loved -- became her and I choosing books together and then her keeping a daily journal on them or something else that was stress-free.  She's a very smart gal and initially I felt badly to not be able to push her more than that, but her health was more important.  She was still involved in some extra curricular activities that she enjoyed, and sometimes I could incorporate those into class subjects.

I let her choose her own daily schedule.  For her, it was getting started late, taking afternoon breaks, and then getting back to it in the evenings, sometimes working until midnight because that's what she liked.

Because of her migraines, she never continued to college, but she is a very self-educated young gal and loves to learn on her own, and, she's very happy.  She still struggles a lot with daily migraines, but she works and is finding her own path.

I will say that in our experience, migraines and insomnia often go hand and hand.  My dh was finally able to find help for his migraines;  hopefully your ds will too!

The book that really helped my dh with his migraines is Heal Your Headache by David Buccholz.  I don't know if that would help in your ds's situation, but you never know!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, perkybunch said:

Just some comments, take them for what they're worth:  It looks like you have enough science without adding Anatomy.  Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry, and Earth and Space Science (which I would be tempted to call something like Astronomy .5 credits and Geology .5 credits).  I do see that Georgia has something called Earth Systems which might be the same thing as Earth and Space Science, I'm not sure.  So in my view, you could drop Anatomy and not double up on Science since you still have two years to go.  Also it looks like you have Physical Geography, which is either a science or a social studies depending on what you studied there.

Health, from what I can tell and from my experience, tends to be a semester course, and therefore .5 credit.  So don't overdo that.

I would drop the the Logic, personally.  

You only need four total credits of English, and it looks like he's almost there, so you might want to skip British Lit.

((hugs))  Best wishes for your son's education!

Thank you.

He only made it through 1/2 of Earth and Space (falling under "Earth Systems") before breaking down. I'm thinking it was the Space part. I thought about using that half and combining it with the physical geography (it was the science-leaning version) for Astronomy and Geology. Does that sound legit? Would I just name it separately like your suggestion? One was an online class, the other was not.

I'll double check the English credits.

I will talk with him about Logic. I guess Rhetoric won't happen. Thankfully, expressing himself and knowing why he believes what he does is NOT a weakness for him! 

Yeah, the Health is the Apologia, hence the full credit. It has very valuable material about lifestyle habits, mental health, etc. I think the extra half is due to the Notebook. I could nix most or all the extra projects, of which there are quite a few, and spread it out more; analyze the questions for unnecessary ones, schedule for less than 1-2x/wk (starting in Feb.), he finishes when he finishes.

EDIT: GA requires 4 electives.If I nix Logic,  I could possibly put 3D Modeling as an elective, instead of an Art, which it is considered w/in that category in GA; he'll have Western and American music appreciation courses, which more than fulfill the Fine Arts category. 

Edited by historymatters

6 hours ago, historymatters said:

I am trying to get the basics covered so he's presentable to a decent community college and/or tech/art school for computer arts (?)...

It helps me to list what is required for college admissions (even if not heading there right away, it's nice to keep that possibility open in the future), and then to list what credits have already been accomplished, to see what are required holes to fill, and what would be nice, but might not be necessary.

One thing I did not see listed is 1 credit of American History, which is required for admission at many colleges, so you may wish to consider doing that rather than the 1 credit of Cultural Geography. But YMMV. ?

Also, unless DS really loves the Logic and Rhetoric courses you have listed as possible future elective courses, I'd suggest considering doing Computer Arts electives -- Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. -- and Basic Art Design or Color & Composition classes, or more animation or a music creation course. Take a look at the course listings at some of those schools and consider accomplishing 1-2 of those in the next year or two as prep for going into that type of program.

However, if those Logic, Rhetoric, Literature, and Geography courses are what are really nourishing his soul right now and helping him heal and regain his balance, then absolutely go for those courses as the required Electives (and Social Science) credits!

Just a few thoughts! BEST wishes, warmly, Lori D.

Credits required for admission at the typical NON selective/competitive college:
4 credits = English
3-4 credits = Math  (up through Alg. 2; some require a 4th math above Alg. 2)
3-4 credits = Science, with labs  (if not going into a STEM field, 3 credits is fine; most colleges are flexible on which Sciences)
3-4 credits = Social Studies  (3 credits should be fine; however, many colleges want 1 credit of Amer. Hist., many also want 1 credit World Hist and/or 0.5 credit each Econ & Gov't)
2-4 credits = Foreign Language  (same language)
1 credit = Fine Arts
4+ credits = Electives  (you mentioned Health being required in your area)
20-24+ credits = Total

Credits you have accomplished, are working on, still need:

English
1.00 = Composition 1 (Writing ER)
1.00 = Composition 2 (Write Shop)
0.50 = Composition: Essay Writing (Elegant Essay)
0.75 = Literature: American Lit
0.75 = Literature: Lord of the Rings
1.00 = Literature: World Lit (pending this year)
5.00 = total

Math
1.00 = Geometry (in process)
1.00 = Alg. 1 (pending this year)
[1.00 = Alg. 2 still needed]
[possible 1.00 = a 4th math -- possibly Personal Finance]*

2.00 = total
* = note: Personal Finance is not typically counted as a Math but as an Elective because it is more about concepts of investing, saving, loans, etc. rather than involving actual problems and math computations; in contrast, Consumer Math, Business Math, and Accounting ARE counted as Math credits because they do involve a large amount of math computations

Science
1.00 = Physical Science
0.50 = Space and Earth Science
1.00 = Biology (in process)
1.00 = Chemistry (in process)
3.50 = total

Social Studies
0.50 = Physical Geography
1.00 = World History (pending this year)
[1.00 = American History or Cultural Geography still needed]
[0.50 = Econ still needed]
[0.50 = Gov't still needed]

1.50 = total (finished or in process, with another 2.00 credits at minimum planned, for a total of at least 3.50)

Foreign Language
1.00 = Latin 1A and 1B
1.00 = Latin 2 (in process)
2.00 = total

Fine Arts
1.00 = Discovering Music (this year)
1.00 = total

Electives
0.50-1.00 = 3D Modeling and Animation (in process)
[0.50-1.00 = continue 3D Modeling] -- good idea, as this links up with his possible future career field of interest
0.50 = Traditional Logic I (in-process)
0.50 = Debate
0.50 = Speech
0.50 = PE
[0.500-1.00 = Health (to do)]
2.50-3.00 = total (finished or in process, with another 1.50-2.00 credits at minimum planned, for a total of at least 4.00-4.50)

17.50-18.00 = TOTAL completed / in process
+ 5.00 = credits - planned / required
= 22.50 - 23.00 credits as projected minimum TOTAL

Required - need to do:

1.00 = Math: Algebra II
0.50-1.00 = Elective: Health
1.00 = choice of Elective
2.00 = Social Studies (1.00 Amer. Hist. or Cult. Geog. or other + 0.50 each Econ & Gov't)

4.50-5.00 credits = required still to do

Optional - could do or not do (not *needed* to be college prep):
0.50 = Trad. Logic II
0.50-1.00 = Material Logic and/or Rhetoric, 0.5-1.0;
1.00 = British Lit 
1.00 = America's Musical Legacy 
1.00 = Anatomy and Physiology (4th science or a non-mathy Physics)
0.50-0.75 = two or three 8-week classes at Lantern
4.50-5.25 = credits as OPTIONAL additional possibilities

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, J-rap said:

Migraines run deeply in our family, but hers were and are far worse and stubborn than anyone else's.  Up till then she was a very hard worker and I could give her as much work as I wanted.

Yes, ours, too. His dad, in addition to his downgraded mental illnesses (5, himself), he has Complex Seizure Disorder and 2 aneurysms; has headaches daily. My late MIL had them. My mom and I do (mine are hormone and stress-related). His temperament fits the migraine-type; intense, deep-thinker, wants to complete something; has trouble organizing himself.

2 hours ago, J-rap said:

As someone else said, we had no outside expectations to live up to (no co-op or online classes, etc.) so she could complete things on her own schedule.

If he were involved in other outside things, I wouldn't do the co-op. Also, I can't teach math or foreign language; I don't do labs, plus, he gets to socialize. He has no other socialization right now. His friendships and our congregation were shaken up after we moved 2x in 4 years and the latter's relationships fell apart, plus it reminds us of my dd, as we spent 15 years there; they had their Bnei Mitzvah there.

And we both feel weird around people now. Like we're damaged goods after all we've dealt with. We believe it will pass, but it's still very real.

2 hours ago, J-rap said:

initially I felt badly to not be able to push her more than that, but her health was more important.

Yes, definitely this.

2 hours ago, J-rap said:

I let her choose her own daily schedule.  For her, it was getting started late, taking afternoon breaks, and then getting back to it in the evenings, sometimes working until midnight because that's what she liked.

Yes, we're going to work on this in the next week. I have some ideas to share with him. I'm trrying to communicate the necessity of taking a break after a computer-based subject from 45 m to an hour and alternating between book-based and comp-based.

He'll go to sleep, but then wake up frequently be it for a minute to half an hour. Because of that, it's difficult to get him up before 10am. I've instituted some requirements re: his computer and not watching exciting movies late. He likes to analyze, so he gets riled up.

2 hours ago, J-rap said:

Because of her migraines, she never continued to college, but she is a very self-educated young gal and loves to learn on her own, and, she's very happy.  She still struggles a lot with daily migraines, but she works and is finding her own path.

I will say that in our experience, migraines and insomnia often go hand and hand.  My dh was finally able to find help for his migraines;  hopefully your ds will too!

The book that really helped my dh with his migraines is Heal Your Headache by David Buccholz.  I don't know if that would help in your ds's situation, but you never know!

I'm glad to hear she's finding her way.  That's encouraging.

Yes, the wacky sleep schedule contributes to the headache, but then he has to go to bed, usually late in the day to get rid of it. He sleeps for 6-8 hours and wakes up after 1am. Then, he's back to a messed up schedule again!

Thank you for the book recommendation. 

Edited by historymatters
  • Like 1

I feel somewhat overwhelmed reading the list of what he has. I have bad migraines also—agree with Bucholz book suggestion, but for me it has not been a cure only somewhat lessens them  I cannot really even help my son well with school work familiar to me when having a severe migraine, certainly can not learn something new and difficult with one  

I think I would start by listing what your son has already done and what he still needs for high school diploma and college entrance (if relevant) requirements, and then doing the simplest approach possible to achieve those.  

I would count anything you can as a part credit to fill needed slots— so maybe chess is a .5 logic credit. Or elective credit anyway  

Don’t do any more language arts since he apparently has enough credits in that.

Only do 1.5 more science credits— I’d suggest  a whole year of biology, and a half year of chemistry.  Or earth science and or environmental science if these would be better  

Eta: or, could a tech class count as a science? 

Could he have American History, Economics, Government, Personal Finance, Project Management (organization of time and space ), Career exploration,  for 3.5 total credits?

Edited by Pen

I am in a different state, but where I am, just having a high school diploma (or equivalent credits) is presentable for community college. 

Thus I am advocating cutting things down to the least possible and also turning some life important learning like organization skills and career exploration into credits. In our state  1 year of Career exploration is required for a diploma. 

Personal Finance also tends to be useful. 

• Like 2

For his health credit, what are you using?  Did he learn how to cook any meals in his high school years?  Did he learn to do (and do) any exercises in this high school years?  Can you watch a few documentaries like “Supersize me” and count them?

Does he need a full health credit, or just a half?  Maybe he already has a chunk of time toward health if you count him learning to cook healthy foods or learning about/doing some routine exercise or watching documentaries.  Think back if there’s anything health related that he learned in any of high school that you could count.  Is there a mental health type of thing that he learned about you can count?  Like, yoga for relaxation or some such thing?  Or did he learn about/do journaling for example?  I’d count anything like that toward “health.”

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

And a health credit / science credit beyond official class where he did as much as he could with himself as the experiment — trying to get rid of his headaches as much as possible and working on emotional health seems to me an important and legitimate thing to study. And the sort of thing you can do as a homeschooling family. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, historymatters said:

Yes, ours, too. His dad, in addition to his downgraded mental illnesses (5, himself), he has Complex Seizure Disorder and 2 aneurysms; has headaches daily. My late MIL had them. My mom and I do (mine are hormone and stress-related). His temperament fits the migraine-type; intense, deep-thinker, wants to complete something; has trouble organizing himself.

If he were involved in other outside things, I wouldn't do the co-op. Also, I can't teach math or foreign language; I don't do labs, plus, he gets to socialize. He has no other socialization right now. His friendships and our congregation were shaken up after we moved 2x in 4 years and the latter's relationships fell apart, plus it reminds us of my dd, as we spent 15 years there; they had their Bnei Mitzvah there.

And we both feel weird around people now. Like we're damaged goods after all we've dealt with. We believe it will pass, but it's still very real.

Yes, definitely this.

Yes, we're going to work on this in the next week. I have some ideas to share with him. I'm trrying to communicate the necessity of taking a break after a computer-based subject from 45 m to an hour and alternating between book-based and comp-based.

He'll go to sleep, but then wake up frequently be it for a minute to half an hour. Because of that, it's difficult to get him up before 10am. I've instituted some requirements re: his computer and not watching exciting movies late. He likes to analyze, so he gets riled up.

I'm glad to hear she's finding her way.  That's encouraging.

Yes, the wacky sleep schedule contributes to the headache, but then he has to go to bed, usually late in the day to get rid of it. He sleeps for 6-8 hours and wakes up after 1am. Then, he's back to a messed up schedule again!

Thank you for the book recommendation. 

The migraine brain is interesting and complicated, isn't it?  I've been trying to understand it better for years.  My dh's family has them -- my dh, some of his siblings, his father, his father's mother...  All four of my dd's get them, but only one is chronic and daily.  My dh's were chronic and daily too, but changing around a lot of things as discussed in Heal Your Headache really helped so much.  Also, he had a stroke (unexplained) several years ago and that actually seemed to re-set things and he gets migraines much less often ever since -- but I wouldn't recommend that!!!  The migraine personality is an interesting thought.  The child of mine who is one of the most intense people I've ever known doesn't have migraines, but I'd say all of my kids are very complicated people and tend to way overthink a lot of things.  

I hadn't heard of the trait of having trouble completing a task and organizing being linked to migraines.  I definitely see that in some of my kids!  My dh's father had epilepsy as well as migraines, but no one else does.  They're all very sensitive to the world around them.  My dh used to sleep very soundly until his migraines became chronic;  then his sleep cycle became really wacky. 

Oliver Sacks wrote a good book about the migraine person.  It reads like a textbook but is packed with interesting information.

15 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Credits required for admission at the typical NON selective/competitive college:
4 credits = English
3-4 credits = Math  (up through Alg. 2; some require a 4th math above Alg. 2)
3-4 credits = Science, with labs  (if not going into a STEM field, 3 credits is fine; most colleges are flexible on which Sciences)
3-4 credits = Social Studies  (3 credits should be fine; however, many colleges want 1 credit of Amer. Hist., many also want 1 credit World Hist and/or 0.5 credit each Econ & Gov't)
2-4 credits = Foreign Language  (same language)
1 credit = Fine Arts
4+ credits = Electives  (you mentioned Health being required in your area)
20-24+ credits = Total

Thank you. I had written it all out before, but that was before he had another downturn. 

In GA its 4 sciences, 3 soc. studies, 2 Foreign Lang.; 1 Fine Arts; Health isn't an elective here. 23 minimum credits

I meant to put in Am. His. above post; slated for his senior year.

The book used for the Physical Geography class was Laboratory Manual in Physical Geology, 6th Ed, so I moved that into the science category as Geology on his transcript.

If he'll find something of interest to do as an elective that would work I'll go with that. I have your post about a homegrown film course that he found a couple things of interest. So, we'll look at that again. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pen said:

Only do 1.5 more science credits— I’d suggest  a whole year of biology, and a half year of chemistry.  Or earth science and or environmental science if these would be better  

Eta: or, could a tech class count as a science? 

Could he have American History, Economics, Government, Personal Finance, Project Management (organization of time and space ), Career exploration,  for 3.5 total credits?

I moved Physical Geography to science since the text they used is a Geology text. So, after his Chemistry this year, he's fine.

Tech (I assume you're referring to 3D Modeling?) is considered an art form.

Am. H., Economics, Gov., are next year; and (hopefully) Personal Finance as a 4th math.

13 hours ago, Garga said:

For his health credit, what are you using?  Did he learn how to cook any meals in his high school years?  Did he learn to do (and do) any exercises in this high school years?  Can you watch a few documentaries like “Supersize me” and count them?

Does he need a full health credit, or just a half?  Maybe he already has a chunk of time toward health if you count him learning to cook healthy foods or learning about/doing some routine exercise or watching documentaries.  Think back if there’s anything health related that he learned in any of high school that you could count.  Is there a mental health type of thing that he learned about you can count?  Like, yoga for relaxation or some such thing?  Or did he learn about/do journaling for example?  I’d count anything like that toward “health.”

I'm using Apologia's new Health. It is very good in the areas where he needs: lifestyle habits, mental health, food safety, and also goes into sexual health and relationships. I can take it slower and cut out projects. 

He knows how to do a few things, but not enough. I will be working with him more in the kitchen: knowing the names for tools, when to use what, basic dishes.

I lost all of my joy for cooking through all of this, unmotivated, and our appetites have been inconsistent; and so we've been just like two single people, unfortunately. So, it will help us both.

I don't know all of what his therapist has required. She's been working with him weekly, or biweekly. He tells me the basics of what they talk about and anything he fills out or does. 

16 hours ago, historymatters said:

He only made it through 1/2 of Earth and Space (falling under "Earth Systems") before breaking down. I'm thinking it was the Space part. I thought about using that half and combining it with the physical geography (it was the science-leaning version) for Astronomy and Geology. Does that sound legit? Would I just name it separately like your suggestion? One was an online class, the other was not.

I

I absolutely think it would be legit to do that.  No question.  Half credit of Astronomy, half credit of Geology.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, J-rap said:

I hadn't heard of the trait of having trouble completing a task and organizing being linked to migraines.  I definitely see that in some of my kids!  My dh's father had epilepsy as well as migraines, but no one else does.  They're all very sensitive to the world around them.  My dh used to sleep very soundly until his migraines became chronic;  then his sleep cycle became really wacky. 

Oliver Sacks wrote a good book about the migraine person.  It reads like a textbook but is packed with interesting information.

I shouldn't have been so absolute with my migraine-personality statement, as it is controversial and kind of a pseudo-science and for good reason. Migraine sufferers come in all shapes and sizes and temperaments. Sometimes it seems which came first, the chicken or the egg syndrome: behaviors first or the migraine causing the behaviors? 

He gets so much neurological junk from both sides. I have syringomyelia and hormonal migraines and my mom has myasthenia gravis, depression, anxiety, and migraines. I mentioned his Dad's problems, but also his side is littered with very serious mental illness (narcissism, borderline, sociopath, along w/anxiety, bipolar, and depression); that's where my dd got it from; she is my husband's biological great-niece. So, son and daughter are biological cousins. My husband's seizures were likely caused by a hit to the head as a football coach, not birth, though he was born at 28 weeks, died 3x in 1961, so, pre-disposed, definitely.

So, ds learning to manage his emotions is high priority. 

We're going to watch and work through Who Switched Off My Brain? by Dr. Caroline Leaf. He's better on boundaries than I am, but he still needs work on controlling what he dwells on and making healthy decisions for himself, regarding activity and food. The latter is vital since he'll likely have a sedentary job. Which is what I like about the Apologia Health curriculum.

Edited by historymatters
  • Like 1

I moved Physical Geography to science since the text they used is a Geology text. So, after his Chemistry this year, he's fine.

Tech (I assume you're referring to 3D Modeling?) is considered an art form.

Am. H., Economics, Gov., are next year; and (hopefully) Personal Finance as a 4th math.

I meant Anything technological since he is already interested in it. Computer programming, robotics, hydropower systems and water purification...  

However it sounds like you have science covered by calling physical geography a geology science  — since if I understand it correctly he did Not (?) do the *space* part of earth science I would not refer to what he did as “astronomy” but rather .5 of Earth Science    Or 1 whole credit earth science putting together physical geography with the Earth  Science he did  

He does not need 4 mathematics classes for what you said you want him ready for. However Personal Finance can be very useful. 

Carolyn Leaf also has a book about eating for brain health which might be helpful. This is interesting to me too because I feel like with increased teenage activity food has gotten less priority than it should have in our home as well. 

I have found Daniel Amen books related to brain health very useful. And Grain Brain by Perlmutter  

I definitely see variations in function in people related to eating

There is also a book I found interesting called Natural Healing for Schizophrenia and other common mental disorders by Eva Edelman. 

And another called The Body Keeps the Score by _______ — which deals with physical impact of emotional stress etc.   I f his back ground includes stress to prior generations then epigenetics will also apply. 

In the thread about a board member who needs to recover from childhood bullying, I linked 2 you tube videos which I would also like to bring to the attention of you and your son since they might help in dealing with what you have had going on too  

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2018 at 6:08 AM, historymatters said:

Thank you. I had written it all out before, but that was before he had another downturn. 

In GA its 4 sciences, 3 soc. studies, 2 Foreign Lang.; 1 Fine Arts; Health isn't an elective here. 23 minimum credits

I meant to put in Am. His. above post; slated for his senior year.

The book used for the Physical Geography class was Laboratory Manual in Physical Geology, 6th Ed, so I moved that into the science category as Geology on his transcript.

If he'll find something of interest to do as an elective that would work I'll go with that. I have your post about a homegrown film course that he found a couple things of interest. So, we'll look at that again. 

So if you need to meet your state requirements, it looks like you'll want to plan credits for the following:

GA high school graduation requirements:
4 credits = English
4 credits = Math
4 credits = Science*
3 credits = Social Studies
3 credits = Career/Technical/Agricultural Ed (CTAE) and/or Modern Language/Latin and/or Fine Arts
1 credit = Heatlh and PE
4 credits = Electives
23 credits = total

* = quoting directly from the website: "4th Science unit may be used to meet both the Science and Elective requirement" -- so that might help you "double dip" for the electives, but you'll still need to come up with a minimum total of 23 credits, so perhaps just go ahead and shoot for 4 electives with no double dipping to make it to the 23 credit minimum

And here is what it looks like you have accomplished, are working on, and still need, and how it fits in with GA subject/credit requirements:

English
1.00 = Composition 1 (Writing ER)
1.00 = Composition 2 (Write Shop)
0.50 = Composition: Essay Writing (Elegant Essay)
0.75 = Literature: American Lit
0.75 = Literature: Lord of the Rings
1.00 = Literature: World Lit (pending this year)
5.00 = total -- 4.00 are required -- you'll have 5.00, so can count 1.00 as an Elective

Math
1.00 = Geometry (in process)
1.00 = Alg. 1 (pending this year)
[1.00 = Alg. 2 still needed]
[1.00 = a 4th math]

2.00 = total -- 4.00 are required -- 2.00 to plan

Science
1.00 = Physical Science
0.50 = Space and Earth Science
0.50 = Geology (the Physical Geography, moved from Soc. Sci.)
1.00 = Biology (in process)
1.00 = Chemistry (in process)
4.00 = total -- 4.00 are required -- you'll have 4.00

Social Studies
1.00 = World History (pending this year)
[1.00 = American History or Cultural Geography still needed]
[0.50 = Econ still needed]
[0.50 = Gov't still needed]

1.00 = total -- 3.00 are required -- 2.00 to plan

CTAE (choice/combo of: Computer/Tech, For. Lang., Fine Arts)
   Foreign Language
      1.00 = Latin 1A and 1B
      1.00 = Latin 2 (in process)
      2.00 = total -- you'll have 2.00
   Fine Arts

1.00 = Discovering Music (this year)
      1.00 = total -- you'll have 1.00
3.00 = total -- 3.00 are required -- you'll have 3.00

Health/PE Requirement
0.50 = PE
0.50-1.00 = Health (this year)
1.00-1.50 = total -- 1.00 is required -- you'll have 1.00

Electives
1.00 = extra English credit from above
0.50 = Traditional Logic I (in-process)
0.50 = Debate
0.50 = Speech
0.50-1.00 = 3D Modeling and Animation (in process)
[0.50-1.00 = continue 3D Modeling]
3.00-3.50 = total -- 4.00 are required -- 0.50 - 1.00 to plan

13.00 - 15.00 = TOTAL completed / in process
+ 5.00 = credits - planned / required
= 22.50 - 23.00 credits as projected minimum TOTAL

Subjects/credits completed/in process:

4.00 = English -- 5.00 --> 1.00 extra can count as an Elective
2.00 = Math = 2.00 still required
4.00 = Science -- 4.00 by switching Physical Geography to a Geology 0.50 credit
1.00 = Soc. Studies -- 2.00 still required
3.00 = CTAE -- 3.00, with 2.00 For. Lang. (Latin) and 1.00 Fine Arts (Discovering Music)
0.50 = Health/PE -- 0.50 still required
3.00/3.50 = Electives (if counting extra English here)-- 0.50-1.00  still required
17.50 - 18.00 = total credits completed/in process
_______

Still need to plan/do = 5.00 - 5.50
2.00 = Math [1.00 = Alg. 2 / 1.00 = Personal Finance*]
2.00 = Social Studies [1.00 = American History or Cultural Geography / 0.50 each = Econ & Gov't]
0.50-1.00 = Health

0.50-1.00 = [continue 3D Modeling -- or other choice of Elective]

* = note: Personal Finance is not typically counted as a Math but as an Elective because it is more about concepts of investing, saving, loans, etc. rather than involving actual problems and math computations; in contrast, Consumer Math, Business Math, and Accounting ARE counted as Math credits because they do involve a large amount of math computations

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Pen said:

However it sounds like you have science covered by calling physical geography a geology science  — since if I understand it correctly he did Not (?) do the *space* part of earth science I would not refer to what he did as “astronomy” but rather .5 of Earth Science    Or 1 whole credit earth science putting together physical geography with the Earth  Science he did  

I'll need to double check on what part he covered. He devoured the H.A. Rey books on Astronomy as a little boy and the Wonders of Creation series, up till Ecology. 

3 hours ago, Pen said:

He does not need 4 mathematics classes for what you said you want him ready for. However Personal Finance can be very useful. 

GA requires 4. I want him to be prepared to handle real-life finances and maybe be an entrepreneur, so to understand business. His personality will demand more choice in his life; he gets it honestly.

3 hours ago, Pen said:

Carolyn Leaf also has a book about eating for brain health which might be helpful. This is interesting to me too because I feel like with increased teenage activity food has gotten less priority than it should have in our home as well. 

I have found Daniel Amen books related to brain health very useful. And Grain Brain by Perlmutter  

I'll take a look. Thanks. His gut is messed up due to his experiences with his dad when his schizoaffective disorder was ascending. It flares up.

3 hours ago, Pen said:

In the thread about a board member who needs to recover from childhood bullying, I linked 2 you tube videos which I would also like to bring to the attention of you and your son since they might help in dealing with what you have had going on too  

That sounds interesting. We definitely feel "bullied" and emotionally abused by her (she was physical, too; he had to hold her down at one point before I took her to the hospital). Then the mental and emotional abuse continued as I had to battle with the facilities she was in to hold her accountable for her actions, to have family therapy (I was denied by two of the three), and recognize that she was being abusive towards us. But they didn't see it that way; she was the victim, not us and they took that, and her false accusations, to you-know-who; even though her accusations had already been investigated by another county and found false, but that didn't matter. So, then, the attention was taken off of her and placed onto us; exactly as she always liked it: blame others, no personal responsibility, and no remorse. But she's got lots of charm!

Edited by historymatters

26 minutes ago, perkybunch said:

FYI, we are using Personal Finance as our Economics credit.  I am calling it Economics on the transcript, and it is Dave Ramsey's high school course. 

I was looking at that as an option. Another is Classes by Beth recorded or live version of Accounting and Personal Finance

Recorded classes allow students to take up until one week prior to the next school year to complete the class. He can contact her via email and she still grades his work. Sounds like a winner!

This would prepare for handling his own business affairs if he would prefer to be self-employed for whatever reason, more options. Plus, it's a math credit.

Edited by historymatters

8 minutes ago, historymatters said:

I'll need to double check on what part he covered. He devoured the H.A. Rey books on Astronomy as a little boy and the Wonders of Creation series, up till Ecology. 

GA requires 4. I want him to be prepared to handle real-life finances and maybe be an entrepreneur, so to understand business. His personality will demand more choice in his life; he gets it honestly.

Okay. Didn’t know it was a state requirement. Given the above, maybe one semester devoted to personal finance and one to intro business math

I'll take a look. Thanks. His gut is messed up due to his experiences with his dad when his schizoaffective disorder was ascending. It flares up.

That sounds interesting. We definitely feel "bullied" and emotionally abused by her (she was physical, too; he had to hold her down at one point before I took her to the hospital). Then the mental and emotional abuse continued as I had to battle with the facilities she was in to hold her accountable for her actions, to have family therapy (I was denied by two of the three), and recognize that she was being abusive towards us. But they didn't see it that way; she was the victim, not us and they took that, and her false accusations, to you-know-who; even though her accusations and already been investigated by another county and found false, but that didn't matter. So, then, the attention was taken off of her and placed onto us; exactly as she always liked it: blame others, no personal responsibility, and no remorse.

I am sorry all that happened. I’d post the links here, but I am rarely able to do links. The other day for the other thread I managed it twice!!

They aren’t specific to being bullied. Any traumatic or even just unpleasant situation could utilize them. 

Edited by Pen
  • Thanks 1

I just canceled his Biology Lab Intensive coming up in November. It would've required that he get across Atlanta by 8:30 and go till 5pm; and then stay at a hotel close by and get there again the next morning by 8:30 till noon. Additionally, he would've missed his co-op day AND his Latin class. Which would stress him out even more. Not worth it. There's no way he can handle that right now and I'm not comfortable with pressing him to BE ready in two months. 

I'd signed him up in June, when he was feeling better, during a lull in our drama.

I have the Apologia DVD which has all the labs completed by the teacher. So, he can watch and write up a lab report. Plus, he can do it at his own pace. Yeah!?

Edited by historymatters

Subjects/credits completed/in process:
4.00 = English -- 5.00 --> 1.00 extra can count as an Elective
2.00 = Math = 2.00 still required
4.00 = Science -- 4.00 by switching Physical Geography to a Geology 0.50 credit
1.00 = Soc. Studies -- 2.00 still required
3.00 = CTAE -- 3.00, with 2.00 For. Lang. (Latin) and 1.00 Fine Arts (Discovering Music)
0.50 = Health/PE -- 0.50 still required
3.00/3.50 = Electives (if counting extra English here)-- 0.50-1.00  still required
17.50 - 18.00 = total credits completed/in process
_______

Still need to plan/do = 5.00 - 5.50
2.00 = Math [1.00 = Alg. 2 / 1.00 = Personal Finance*]
2.00 = Social Studies [1.00 = American History or Cultural Geography / 0.50 each = Econ & Gov't]
0.50-1.00 = Health

0.50-1.00 = [continue 3D Modeling -- or other choice of Elective]

Thank you for all your effort.

The Personal Finance and Accounting class at Classes by Beth is categorized as a math class, worth 1 credit. Plus, I can get the "Recorded" option for him which is not only cheaper, but moves at a much slower pace; giving him over a year to complete the material and the teacher still grades his work. Awesome!

QUESTION: Since I'm doing a subject-based transcript, and he's completed subjects out of order, can I omit the dates on his course descriptions?

Edited by historymatters
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, historymatters said:

The Personal Finance and Accounting class at Classes by Beth is categorized as a math class, worth 1 credit. Plus, I can get the "Recorded" option for him which is not only cheaper, but moves at a much slower pace; giving him over a year to complete the material and the teacher still grades his work. Awesome!

? Awesome!

QUESTION: Since I'm doing a subject-based transcript, and he's completed subjects out of order, can I omit the dates on his course descriptions?

I don't see why not. If at a later date he applies to a college that requires completion dates, you can add them and make a transcript tailored for that specific school.

• Like 1

I’d still consider giving an elective credit for chess. 

And, maybe in summer, giving elective credit for a careers class which could include taking some  interest area testing and job shadowing or even volunteering. 

And also perhaps have him study cooking and nutrition hands on and give it credit. (At my son’s school culinary arts is a popular for credit elective class amongst both boys and girls.   )

I don’t know anything about the classes by Beth class, but if it lives up to its description it looks good!

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I’d still consider giving an elective credit for chess. 

And, maybe in summer, giving elective credit for a careers class which could include taking some  interest area testing and job shadowing or even volunteering. 

And also perhaps have him study cooking and nutrition hands on and give it credit. (At my son’s school culinary arts is a popular for credit elective class amongst both boys and girls.   )

I don’t know anything about the classes by Beth class, but if it lives up to its description it looks good!

I'm just not sure his chess class qualifies. When I asked a veteran homeschooler mom and co-op teacher, I was informed it was only extra-curricular.

If he finds something, that'd be good. Frankly, he needs a paying job. 

Yes, we are going to be cooking together. I'll make a syllabus. I'm a Nourishing Traditions person. I have teaching cookbooks by Sue Becker and reading material by Food Renegade who created a NT-based food "curriculum" for middle and high school. And, yes, I will include food docs and maybe some of the GC lectures re: food prep. I guess I would just use the time-clock version of what qualifies as a credit. 

Thanks for nudging me with this, as it's something I wanted to do, but it's been on the back burner. It will help both of us.

Edited by historymatters
  • Like 1

You've gotten good advice from others regarding classes.  I just wanted to add that I'm so very sorry for all of the difficulties and heartbreak that you've had to face.  We had a catastrophic event happen in our family when my youngest two were in high school, which felt like I had been jolted overnight to an entirely different life and left us in just plain survival mode for several years.  It still pales compared to what you're going through, but I have some understanding of trying to homeschool and wanting the very best for your child in the midst of chaos and pain.

I hope you're doing okay and are taking care of yourself in the midst of everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2018 at 1:18 AM, J-rap said:

You've gotten good advice from others regarding classes.  I just wanted to add that I'm so very sorry for all of the difficulties and heartbreak that you've had to face.  We had a catastrophic event happen in our family when my youngest two were in high school, which felt like I had been jolted overnight to an entirely different life and left us in just plain survival mode for several years.  It still pales compared to what you're going through, but I have some understanding of trying to homeschool and wanting the very best for your child in the midst of chaos and pain.

I hope you're doing okay and are taking care of yourself in the midst of everything.

Thank you so much. Everyday requires extreme effort. I'm trying. Overwhelmed. Emotional pain makes my neurological pain worse. That should improve in time; hopefully. There are other areas of my health - and his - that have been neglected over the 4+ years which need attending to. It will take awhile for me to climb out of this pit she, and her adult enablers, have dug without any sense of consequence for her or us. But, I have to. Thanks again for your kind words.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Junie said:

I have chronic health issues including migraines.

What I have found to be the most helpful is to take a nap every.single.day.  It's annoying to work my schedule around an afternoon nap every day, but it's the only thing I have found that really, really helps.

Yes, I do that myself, at least 50% of the time. My medicine also makes me very drowsy: Lyrica and muscle relaxers.

I wouldn't mind his napping if he awoke earlier, but he wakes up after 10 as it is. I'm working on his vitamin and herbal combinations to get his best focus and calm through the day and a better night's sleep. Obviously, exercise has to start.

I'm going to create, with his commitment to and cooperation with, a daily schedule which sets specific parameters on time spent on academics, a couple of breaks during the day, and alternating between subjects to lessen brain drain and computer time. He finally found his blue-light filter for his computer. A big problem he has is he waits too long to eat. Drives me nuts because his lack of schedule is a cause for many migraines, specifically, sleeping and eating schedule inconsistencies. 

We've talked and he's approved a new yearly schedule for him. It's 36 weeks long, but it allows for 4 weeks on, 1 week off, in addition to Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Passover. This also allows his history to to be done in 3 days, instead of 4 and stretches it out to having 2 weeks to complete a chapter, instead of 1.

• Like 1

after 10 as it is. I'm working on his vitamin and herbal combinations to get his best focus and calm through the day and a better night's sleep. Obviously, exercise has to start.

I'm going to create, with his commitment to and cooperation with, a daily schedule which sets specific parameters on time spent on academics, a couple of breaks during the day, and alternating between subjects to lessen brain drain and computer time. He finally found his blue-light filter for his computer. A big problem he has is he waits too long to eat. Drives me nuts because his lack of schedule is a cause for many migraines, specifically, sleeping and eating schedule inconsistencies. 

Sounds excellent!!!

• Thanks 1