Menu

Has anybody seen this new program?

I seem to remember seeing something about it before. I'm not familiar with it, other than what I see on their website. But I'm skeptical, because they emphasize that dyslexia is a vision problem. Even their description of why spelling is hard is explained by vision and focus issues.

Vision issue are not the primary defining characteristic of dyslexia here in the US.

And their way of teaching spelling seems to be to write or type words over and over until you have "muscle memory" or "your hands know how to write it, without you thinking about it."

I'm  big proponent of OG  methods, because I've seen how it has helped DD after years of trying other things. Perhaps this program could help some who struggle, but it doesn't look like it uses OG or multi-sensory methods.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

If you want an alternative, Spelfabet is the best thing since sliced cheese AND sliced bread around here. Serious love. OG-derived, workbook, SLP-designed, language-strong, minimal writing. Even my dysgraphic ds can do it. And did I mention how cheap it is? Love it.

https://www.spelfabet.com.au/materials/

Is that British spelling?  

I'm having great success with Spelling U See but the vision thing had me intrigued but I'm in agreement with Storygirl - just didn't know if it would work for someone else. 

On a side note - I'm getting the results from my ds (high school age) next week and will finally have a bigger picture of exactly what I'm dealing with and how to help him and what path(s) we need to take.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, displace said:

Is that British spelling?  

Aussie, and so far it hasn't been an issue. It's more that the words are maybe not the word we would use (cot instead of crib, that kind of thing), but for the most part, at least in the level 1 book, it has just been a nothing. The layout is BRILLIANT for ds, so it's worth it to me to fill him in on those occasional words and move on. 

• Like 1