Menu

Developmental stages for accelerated learners

Xahm

This is mostly from curiosity, but does anyone have any resources or observations to share about the mental, emotional, etc development of gifted kids/accelerated learners. There's a lot I get out of reading books like WTM, but the stuff there about grammar, logic, rhetoric stages seems alien to my experiences and the observations I've made of my children (and most of the kids in my particular bubble.) I felt the same way reading excerpts from Piaget as a teenager. The best bet is to follow the kids in front of me, I know, but it would be so nice to have some sort of a flow chart letting me know what to expect in coming months and years. I should probably be taking better notes of what my children are doing and see if they follow the patterns of their older siblings. For example, with my eldest I was surprised to learn that I could directly teach her to use a nice, polite tone when asking for things in less than a day at age four. I had assumed she would just absorb this lesson naturally, and she seemed to through age three, then became demanding. I explained, she understood, and life improved quickly. Then, recently, I was shocked that my previously polite second-born four year old had turned rudely demanding. Finally I remembered to try direct teaching and one conversation, several reminders later, all has been better for a couple of weeks now. Will third child do the same in a couple of years? Is there a book full of these secrets?

I know the example I gave probably fits non-accelerated kids as well as accelerated, but it's the most concrete example I could think of off hand. Having some guess as to how long advanced young readers are going to shun books without a picture on each page would be nice, as would how attention span develops in kids who are able to handle advanced concept, and that sort of thing.

13 hours ago, xahm said:

Having some guess as to how long advanced young readers are going to shun books without a picture on each page would be nice, as would how attention span develops in kids who are able to handle advanced concept, and that sort of thing.

My kids had radically different personalities and learning styles despite almost identical IQ, and the answers to your questions would be completely different for them. I don't believe there is the one-size-fits-all answer you seek. To take the examples in your post: one went from decoding letter sounds to devouring classics for fun in the span of a few weeks; the other took several years. One could focus on math for 2.5 hours at age 13; the other couldn't focus for more than 45 minutes at age 15.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

I like the Your ___ Year Old Child series by Louise Bates Ames because they do have behavior/development charts for each age.  There are sometimes when it is easy to forget that X is normal at Y age, when the Y year old acts like Z age in terms of academic capability. 
I have not seen books specifically addressing this for accelerated children except to note that there are inconsistencies.    There's not a set path for children who operate outside the norm, but they do follow the norm at their own pace and style.  Make sense? LOL

• Like 2