Menu

EIW doesn't seem to be working....

tdbates78

My twins are 8 and in 3rd grade. We started back to school about a month ago and this year I decided to switch from CLE to EIW. I like EIW. My daughters seem to like EIW. But it doesn't seem to be working. We watch the short lesson together and then when they look at their workbook page I am met with blank stares and, after prompting, wrong answers. And we are only at the run-on sentence lesson. I think they like it just because it's much shorter than CLE and less monotonous. I'm not sure if they just flat out don't know how to do the subject or if there is just a lack of interest. They are both great readers. 

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do and play catch up because I feel like I'm wasting our time. I'm considering BJU English 3. We are a secular homeschool but I've heard great things so I'm okay with the religious content, as was the case with CLE. For children who struggle to grasp grammar and composition do you feel that BJU may be a good fit? Any other suggestions? I need something with repetition/spiral and will stick?

Thanks!
Tracy

I have an 8yo.  He struggled with run on sentences and commas last year quite a bit.  We did English Lessons Through Literature and it slowly introduced him to good writing/grammar, but this year we're doing a blend of Writing Strands with Critical Thinking Company's Punctuation Puzzlers (alternating the two).  My feelings come down to it's mostly an age thing.  They do get all the rules, even if it is a slow process.  I'm really glad he had the year with ELTL and we'll mostly likely return to it after this year.  All the focus on copywork and grammar really helped cement rules in his head even if he wasn't using them on his own yet.  With my oldest, ELTL wasn't out, so we used Writing Tales - a progym style program for 3rd-5th that really holds their hands from the very beginning and added in games and physical activity.  He loved it.  It wasn't a good fit for the youngest, though.

2 hours ago, tdbates78 said:

My twins are 8 and in 3rd grade. We started back to school about a month ago and this year I decided to switch from CLE to EIW. I like EIW. My daughters seem to like EIW. But it doesn't seem to be working. We watch the short lesson together and then when they look at their workbook page I am met with blank stares and, after prompting, wrong answers. And we are only at the run-on sentence lesson. I think they like it just because it's much shorter than CLE and less monotonous. I'm not sure if they just flat out don't know how to do the subject or if there is just a lack of interest. They are both great readers. 

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do and play catch up because I feel like I'm wasting our time. I'm considering BJU English 3. We are a secular homeschool but I've heard great things so I'm okay with the religious content, as was the case with CLE. For children who struggle to grasp grammar and composition do you feel that BJU may be a good fit? Any other suggestions? I need something with repetition/spiral and will stick?

Thanks!
Tracy

You could try Writing Strands, Level 3. It's just writing--no grammar. And it's secular.

If you want to add grammar, consider Easy Grammar.

8 hours ago, Ellie said:

You could try Writing Strands, Level 3. It's just writing--no grammar. And it's secular.

If you want to add grammar, consider Easy Grammar.

To clarify this: The original old books are secular.  The new ones are most definitely not.  It's worth finding the older books used if you want to go that route.  But the reason we alternate between this and CTC is because the old level 3 has 14 assignments of varying lengths (3-12 days) and asks the students to take a week off in between each.  We're using those spare weeks to do a bit of English grammar and training the eye to look for examples in literature of the tasks in the level so that he can see several samples.

Thank you all!

I do think it may be an age thing. Neither of my twins are really great at paying attention. Hence the reason I pulled them out of public school a few years ago. We are working on it, and it's getting better, but its been a real, ongoing struggle and we've had a lot of curriculum misses. They kind of seem to zone out during the EIW lessons. 

I'm questioning if grammar is really necessary at this age or if we can just focus on writing and worry about all of the grammar rules in a few years. If I can work on getting them to write well enough I would imagine the grammar would just kind of fall into place. Or at least that's what my rational mind thinks ha! English and grammar has always come easy and naturally to me so I'm having a difficult time putting myself in their shoes. 

Thank you! I'm going to check out the suggestions, particularly Writing Strands. 

We actually did BJU English 3 before starting any other writing program because it gives a solid foundation in writing basics and hand holds parents while stepping kids through the process. I really love and appreciate that. The other good piece of it is that it alternates 2 weeks grammar then 2 weeks writing and back again. That way if it takes longer to do a writing assignment you can still push on in the book and work on grammar simultaneously. Also, it is doable to just use it for the writing and skip grammar if you use something else. My 8 year old DD really took off in writing after using it. She briefly tried EIW 2 in 2nd and it wasn't a good fit for similar reasons.

• Like 2

Since you like it and they like it, have you tried calling the company to see what they suggest? Maybe you can tweak how you are doing things to make it work and not have to buy something else. 

(We really liked EiW here, but we also didn't use it until older ages--it wasn't out when mine were little :-).

Hope you find what works for you all!

• Like 1