Menu

Anyone familar with food banks... kids in 4H have an idea, is this workable?

Um_2_4

So our 4H club has a monthly community service project. We have gathered items for a local small food bank before. This place is just shelves and they allow clients to pick items to fill a box. I noticed some families with kids last time we were there. (They will not let us volunteer, already checked, no one under 18, even with parents there). We asked the food bank how we could help from "afar" and they said "anything you do will be great". 

So my kids suggested that there was nothing "Fun" for the kids to pick out. And suggested about making "treat bags" to pass out to kids who come with their families. Maybe some candy/gum, fruit chews, stickers, crayons, etc. Anyone seen something like this done at a food bank???

Would this be a logistical nightmare??? They way it is set up in the building, I could see the "cashier" person who packs their box as they bring items up, keeping it behind the counter and passing it out as kids leave.

We will still be doing other drives, but the kids want to do some more "hands on" things after our meetings each month. Like one time they are diying dog toys for the local animal shelter from old tshirts.

One of my students collected second hand picture books, and raised money to buy more second hand picture books, and set it up so that every family who uses the food pantry at her church goes home with a book for each of their children to keep.  

I thought this was a brilliant project. 

• Like 6

Love the idea of books! If you do go with treat bags or something like that, I would encourage you to use clear ziploc baggies and ask the food bank to let the kids choose one themselves. It’s so nice for people to have some choices and a tiny bit of control when they are going through a tough time. Even if the baggies just have a pencil, eraser, and a sticker, it’s nice to be able to choose the one you want. 

‘What a nice idea for your 4-H club!

• Like 4

I agree with trying for healthier choices.  

Also, I feel like every kid I know has about 200 extra stuffed animals.  What about a stuffed animal drive?  If the 4H group wants to get really creative, the "pets" could get little made up adoption stories (like Pound Puppies, if anyone remembers those), with their name and a little back-story.  

• Like 2

We volunteer regularly at a food bank. They have bags for the kids that have things for school lunches...shelf stable boxed milks, single serving applesauces, granola bars,etc. They also have a bin with random candy and small snacks like single bags of chips that have been donated by people. When we are packing the bags we can throw in something extra for fun. They try and keep the main food healthy, but it is nice to have treats as well. 

• Like 1

I like the idea of some unhealthy treats.  Kids should have a little of that.  Seriously.

But, be aware that at least some, and probably all, food banks have a contract that forbids people from repackaging food items to distribute.  So if you are thinking of buying a big Costco bag of cookies and repackaging it into smaller servings, they probably won't be able to accept that.  This would not apply to things that are individually wrapped like mini candy bars or a big box with little packages of cookies.

Around here school supply drives are pretty common, so I think food treats and maybe hair supplies (barrettes, bands, combs) would be more unusual and maybe a little bit more appreciated.  For the adults, wow, the time I got a group together to get herbs and spices and package the bottles up so that each family got 3, people were THRILLED.  Plus the place smelled great for weeks!

• Like 1

Thanks all! I knew the hive would help. 

Yes we can not do home made items or repackaged. But I was thinking the fun size bars or at Sam's club they have packs of cookies with like 2 oreos per pack and 30 packs for like $6.

I love the hair supplies. I was thinking glow sticks also maybe....