Menu

maindish for pot luck?

HollyDay

I have to take a maindish to a pot luck.  This is one of those things where the first letter of your last name determines if you bring a dessert or side.  And I've got maindish.  No idea what I'm going to bring.  Desserts are easy.  Side dish and/or salad is easy.  But, I'm not doing great on maindish.

Gluten free would be a HUGE bonus as dd and I are gf and with 1 maindish gf at least we would have something we could eat.

I'm not overly thrilled with a crockpot.  Having a bad back, I don't want to be toting a heavy crockpot out of the car and through the parking lot and into the activity building.  But, I don't want something that will be yucky if it gets cold.  The thing starts at 6:30, so I'll need to leave home by 6 to get to the event. 

Suggestions and recipes would be welcome!!

For potlucks I always take baked spaghetti, mix hamburger, slightly undercooked noodles, and sauce (I use at least an extra jar than what I would use for stovetop since it gets soaked up more) cover with shredded cheese and bake until heated through and cheese is melted. This keeps hot quite well but for longer trips I cover it with foil and wrap the pan in a bath towel.  Plus it still tastes good at room temp.

Now I know you said GF but I'm thinking this would still work with a GF noodle.

Otherwise what about a cold all in one salad.  Taco salad, chicken and rice salad, etc.  

We're GFCF here and pot lucks always suck, so regardless of what we are assigned we always take meat. Our two go to items are either pulled pork/carnitas, pork shoulder slow cooked dry, so not your first choice. Or whole chicken legs, thighs, quarters, whatevers cheap, roasted in the oven. We usually throw these in the crockpot to keep warm but for an hour or so you could serve them otherwise. We never have leftovers.

We are also dairy free so various cheesy vegetarian options don't work for us. Vegan options we've liked include baked beans or lentil salads.

• Like 3

We have tried using a cooler bag like pizza delivery to keep things warm.  So far we have been successful but haven’t had any problems with timing.  If there is room wrap a bath towel around your dish.  I misread your title and thought you needed a “man”dish which my guys generally feel that I do need.  I was laughing because I didn’t know other people considered it to be a category.   My go to is chicken legs for their potluck needs because they are fine if they get cold.

If is cool where you are, I'd bring a soup - vegetable, vegetable beef, maybe chili if it is cool enough. I usually take it in a crock pot as that is just easiest for me. Could you ask someone else to carry it in for you? Or carry the soup in a separate pot from the crock pot and then pour it in there once you arrive (turn it on warm if it will be a while)?

I've also done pasta dishes - most lasagna or baked ziti, but I've never tried GF pasta so I don't know if that would be a big hit.

Chicken salad with separate bread? 

Sliced ham? (Pricey, I know!)

Maybe chicken cooked and then tossed with bar-b-q sauce?

Broccoli-rice-cheese-chicken casserole?

I would probably do pulled chicken in BBQ sauce... and then bring cole slaw and rolls.  You can bring some gluten free rolls/bread for your family as well, and then just pick up some Hawaiian Rolls at a warehouse club.  

Pasta is always easy and popular.   Can even buy Stouffer's Lasagna or Mac-n-Cheese and just bake it, cover in foil, and bring.

Chicken drumsticks are usually cheap.  Pioneer Woman had a recipe long before her show that involved brushing them with a butter/seasoned salt mixture and broiling.  Could also do with BBQ sauce.

I like roast chicken cold.  Or, chicken salad on a bed of butter lettuce or romaine?

But if your only hesitation on the crock pot is having to carry the heavy thing, can you recruit someone to carry it for you?  Your daughter? (Maybe not old enough?) Go into the building without it and ask someone to go to your car and get it?