Menu

Nut trees

klmama

I wish I could go back in time to talk with the original owners who thought it was a good idea to have nut trees shade this house.  There's a lot of wind tonight, and I was awakened by acorns pelting the roof above my bedroom.  I moved to the living room, which is usually quieter, but there the hickory nuts were falling. Now I'm in the basement on the too-hard-to-sleep-on couch.  I chose the couch, so that one is my own fault, lol!  Why are you still up?  

I actually slept ok for the first time in a while, but yesterday I was a bundle of anxiety, the paralyzing kind where you spend too much time online and can't seem to take the steps needed to get a start on things you really do need to get to! I didn't even make the bed after stripping it, and just went to sleep with a quilt on the bare mattress. Yeah. Bad. LOL

Hope you sleep well tonight! 

Oh, and I miss the pecan trees we had in Texas! Thankfully, they were over the neighbors' homes, not ours, so we just got the bennies without the hassles! lol

We have walnut trees in our backyard, they don’t cause us too many issues but after a couple ice storms they are quite scraggly looking. 

The walnut trees at church are a problem, they are quite tall and if you forget about the walnuts falling and park in the shade, you might end up with a nice dent in your vehicle. 

I hope you got some sleep!

I'm SO glad we don't have walnuts!  When I was a kid we had a huge walnut tree, and if we didn't get them all picked up before mowing, sometimes one would go flying.  On the plus side, my mom knew a lady with a shelling machine; we'd take her a bucket of walnuts, she'd run them through her machine, and we'd take home a nice bag of shelled nuts.  She kept some of the shelled nuts as her payment.  

• Like 1

I grew up with 50 year old California sycamores in my yard - no nuts (but leaves!! and shade, and zip line anchor points, and forts... loved them!!!). Around here trees grow about 12-15 feet tall and are scrubby, and the only nuts you might find are pine nuts and juniper berries. I would loooove to have a big tree again, nuts and all!!

All the same, sorry for the loss of seep!

• Like 1