Menu

Common App--hopefully, my last questions!

Nancy in NH

I wrote a homeschool profile and intend to paste the relevant info into the Student Profile 'Homeschooling' tab, which makes uploading a School Profile in the Counselor Profile seem unnecessary.  Do you agree?  I can't think of any other info other than what I plan to provide in the Homeschooling sections.

Lastly, after being chastised (not here--another homeschooling group) for suggesting I will be providing course descriptions along with the transcript, I'm wondering what you guys think.  I know it isn't necessary and all the schools on my daughter's list thus far don't require her to complete the Courses and Grades section, so maybe they won't care to receive that information.  I always thought of the course descriptions as being a way to highlight and explain some less traditional courses and to provide info about the resources we used in order demonstrate the rigor of her education.  The argument made was that I shouldn't provide anything that hasn't been requested, and I do understand how some feel about that.  Thoughts?

And, if I do decide to submit them, I can't remember how I did it before.  Is it added as another transcript document?  And if so, I guess I would have to add that to the number of "official transcripts" question for how many I will submit, right?

Edited by Nancy in NH
  • Like 2

I like course descriptions.  I think it is very difficult for a college to assess what Latin 1 or English 9 or even US History or Biology entail.

It is next to impossible to guess the content of more unique courses like Japan Studies, Ancient Roman Literature, or Roots of Steampunk Literature. 

I think the homeschool supplemental questions on the Common App are the sort of things I answered concisely and uniformly within the course description package.

Many colleges do specifically ask for I formation about books used, course level, assessment,  etc.

I think that many homeschoolers get offended by being asked for evidence of what they say their kid did.  I think being offended is often misplaced.  

• Like 2

BTW, my answer on if it is "necessary" to provide course descriptions would depend greatly based on what the college requires or recommends, and on how selective the college is.  A school that takes most applicants may only want test scores and a reasonably understandable transcript.  A school that is highly selective may expect a lot more detail.

• Like 4

I agree with Sebastian. Most selective colleges love to see course descriptions. Do they read them thoroughly? Doubt it. But it's certainly a way to show that you took your homeschooler's education seriously.

I'm not sure if many public universities are interested in seeing course descriptions unless your homeschooler is applying to an honors program or more selective program.

I usually put the school profile under the counselor's School Profile section. Since admissions counselors expect to see them there, I upload it there. In the appropriate homeschooling box, you can just write "see school profile."

In the other two boxes, you can put, "see course descriptions."

Yes, you would upload the course descriptions as an additional transcript. There are four slots to use. Some homeschoolers use the other slots for reading lists or resumes or independent project descriptions.

Best of luck! 

• Like 3