Menu

What's with the ads?

fourisenough

Is it too early to talk hits/misses for '18-'19?

Final update on Lange's Lit 2 class at Integritas Academy. What I liked about this class was the interaction between Lange and the kids. Lots of back and forth, mature conversation. Lange welcomes multiple drafts before the due date. For the final paper, she gives line by line comments, when necessary, which includes everything from grammar, word use, phrasing, etc. She emphasizes literary devices, so I think every week there were 1-2 of them with worksheets. I highly recommend her.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

We only did the first semester, not the second. I thought that there was timely and constructive feedback, but maybe the amount of work changed for the teacher. We did have a hard time with something else not related to the class itself. It did seem that the teacher was very busy and didn't communicate that well over email.

I haven't quite decided what to do for Latin next year. If we have to do something on our own, it may not get done.

Honestly, I think this was the issue, at least in part. And the first semester did go better than the second.  At least during the first semester, the Latin essays were graded in a reasonable amount of time. The second semester, she received both essays back at the same time weeks after the class had ended. And there was no specific feedback, just a sentence or two expressing the teacher’s general opinion.

I am sure they are swamped as they seem to be taking on more and more, but I feel like we got very little for what we paid, especially considering there is no instruction at all with this class. 

• Like 1

Hit: Supplemental Tutoring sessions through Scholé Academy for Writing & Rhetoric at home.

Miss: PAHomeschoolers AP Computer Science A by Cynthia Lang. We withdrew from this class and will attempt another AP CS A course elsewhere, not by this teacher.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 6:02 PM, Mom21 said:

Miss: PAHomeschoolers AP Computer Science A by Cynthia Lang. We withdrew from this class and will attempt another AP CS A course elsewhere, not by this teacher.

Can I ask why?  I was just looking at this class last night for my son for next year or the year after.

• Like 1

Updating- 

Misses-

CLRC courses as previously detailed in thread. 

LToW

Hits-

CLRC Norse Mythology

Wes Callihan’s GB3 and Astronomy courses.  🥰

Cornell Ornithology online course - Worth the $$. I now have an ornithology expert. It’s a high quality, self paced course, as is the textbook. 

IEW Advanced Communication Series

MUS Algebra 2

Continuing private art instruction

SL 300 (spreading this over 2 years)

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 11:47 AM, teachermom2834 said:

And one huge miss and that was Novel from MPOA. I really like MPOA and the class did accomplish the goal of ds reading several good books that are traditionally covered in high school. But there were lots of issues. I don’t want to get into a lot more on that here but it was a big disappointment. I actually feel so fondly about MPOA in general that it hurts me a bit to post that here but it is the kind of feedback I know is important. I can’t say I recommend that class even though I think MPOA is generally a very good option and I trust them enough to sign up even without a lot of reviews on a particular class or teacher. I still feel that way and will give MPOA lots of my money going forward. But this class had some issues. 

Totally concur. The reading list and basic structure of the class are quite good, but the teacher is just plain awful. It was the only class (out of 13 so far) that I would actively discourage a student from taking unless the teacher changes. Feel free to pm for details.

• Like 1

Hits:

AP Physics C (Lanctot) for DS13

AP Chem (ChemAdvantage) for DS13

AP Statistics (summer school 2018) for both kids

AP Macroeconomics & AP Microeconomics (summer school 2018) for DS14

History (tutor) for DS14

Thankfully all their classes were outsourced as I couldn’t help from January onwards with all my doctor appointments and chemo treatments. 

On 5/24/2019 at 6:02 PM, Mom21 said:

On 6/10/2019 at 2:45 PM, HeatherL said:

Can I ask why?  I was just looking at this class last night for my son for next year or the year after.

Edhesive’s class was great for my kids in 2015/16. They did decently well for the AP exam. However my DS14 can’t use his AP Computer Science A exam score as a prereq for dual enrollment computer science classes. The community college he picked doesn’t give any credit for AP Computer Science A. It doesn’t matter for us, just a FYI.

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Hits:

AP Physics C (Lanctot) for DS13

AP Chem (ChemAdvantage) for DS13

AP Statistics (summer school 2018) for both kids

AP Macroeconomics & AP Microeconomics (summer school 2018) for DS14

History (tutor) for DS14

Thankfully all their classes were outsourced as I couldn’t help from January onwards with all my doctor appointments and chemo treatments. 

Edhesive’s class was great for my kids in 2015/16. They did decently well for the AP exam. However my DS14 can’t use his AP Computer Science A exam score as a prereq for dual enrollment computer science classes. The community college he picked doesn’t give any credit for AP Computer Science A. It doesn’t matter for us, just a FYI.

Which AP Stats and Econ classes did you use?

1 minute ago, fourisenough said:

Which AP Stats and Econ classes did you use?

It was at a local brick and mortar place that does mainly after school classes. They compressed the summer course to 6 weeks of 3.5hrs tutorial sessions twice a week. Stats had mid term and finals. Econs had two finals (one each for macro and micro). 

Edhesive has an AP Statistic course that is well recommended in this forum. My DS13 needs brick and mortar classes for math to do well.

For AP Statistics, the instructor used The Practice of Statistics (Fourth Edition). New York: W. H. Freeman & Co.

For AP Econs, the instructor used: Macroeconomics, 3rd Edition, by Krugman and Wells.

Microeconomics, 3rd edition, by Krugman and Wells.