Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

fourisenough

Is it too early to talk hits/misses for '18-'19?

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, easypeasy said:

MISS:

PAHomeschoolers Chemistry. Disclaimer: Mr. Molusk (sp?) is AMAZING and the class design is wonderful. Every assignment was well-placed and had purpose (no "busy" work).

But, omg, it took so. much. time! DS was swallowed by it and the first few weeks of school were basically just him trying to survive the Chemistry class while everything else fell by the wayside. The big reason for DS's struggle was that he did Chemistry at a co-op last year and it was a JOKE. I should have found an online Chemistry resource last year to better prepare him for the AP-level Chemistry. 😕 Add to it that ds isn't all that interested in science... and it wasn't a good fit at all (not any fault of PAHomeschoolers, though. If a class can prepare a kid for a "5" on the APChem class... it's that one!!)

 

My boys both have that course in 8th grade because of the time commitment. Assuming a non-lab high school class takes 10 hours a week including class time, lab would add at least 3 hrs more for every lab to do the lab and report. DS14 takes less time only because he is a fast reader. He read the Chang textbook over summer as prep because I asked him to. DS13 did a summer chemistry class at a private center to prep. We do block out a day weekly for DS13 to do his chemistry readings, videos and quizzes.

AP Physics PAH Jeff Lanctot was a hit for DS14 last year and still a hit for DS13 this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

 

My boys both have that course in 8th grade because of the time commitment. Assuming a non-lab high school class takes 10 hours a week including class time, lab would add at least 3 hrs more for every lab to do the lab and report. DS14 takes less time only because he is a fast reader. He read the Chang textbook over summer as prep because I asked him to. DS13 did a summer chemistry class at a private center to prep. We do block out a day weekly for DS13 to do his chemistry readings, videos and quizzes.

AP Physics PAH Jeff Lanctot was a hit for DS14 last year and still a hit for DS13 this year.

 

In hindsight, this is exactly what we could have/should have done. DS was capable of the work itself from 8th grade on, and is even interested in the topics. But... there are just not enough hours in the day and we couldn't sacrifice the other subjects he was trying to maintain for the sake of the one. It was taking him waaaaaay over 13 hours per week. Way, way, way more. (The more overwhelmed he felt, the longer everything took him because he just didn't know what to focus on anymore. Chemistry was EVERYWHERE! lol)

DD1 took Lanctot's Physics so we have a clear idea what to expect and know that DS will be able to manage that workload reasonably. 🙂 Not even going to THINK about AP Bio, though! hahaha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2018 at 1:19 PM, Aras said:

So far our biggest hit has been Miller Levine Biology coordinated with MrDBioCFC videos and Blackburn Biology guided reading questions from TPT.

We have a miss already too: Chakerian Geometry. My kid just doesn't like the discovery approach. We have switched to Jacobs Geometry and we will see how that goes.

To be determined: Destinos Spanish, Development of European Civilization GC, and LLoLotR

 

Can you share more info about the “Blackburn Biology guided reading questions from TPT?”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2018 at 8:18 AM, chiguirre said:

Trinqueta is taking a required lit class called "Short Novels" this year at MPOA. It covers many of the high school greatest hits that I remember reading in my long ago youth. I honestly thought she'd like a few of the books but that for the most part they'd be misses. The first one is Call of the Wild. I expected moaning about how boring it was (my reaction in 9th grade) but I was wrong. She's really enjoying it. I have much higher hopes for this class than I did before. The first live meeting is next week so we'll see how that goes. If nothing else, she'll have read through a stack of 17 novels that she can draw on for AP essays in the future. Last year's "Short Stories" was a good class too. T only disliked a couple of stories and only truly hated one (The Bear by Faulkner). I thought the Short Stories-Short Novel sequence was weird and it was one of my cons about enrolling in MPOA but I was wrong. It's actually a very good way to organize literature study. It allows the teachers to build up analysis skills slowly and practice them a lot over time.

 Do you mind sharing your daughter's instructor? We may consider these classes for the future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breaking the Barrier Spanish..... so far a miss. Butbto be fair, we have had a very difficult last couple of months, a tragedy that I’ve posted about before, and a gymnastics injury DD hasn’t been able to walk in almost four weeks... it turned out to be a bruised bone and sprained acl.... so she will walk.  But anyway, the curriculum might be fine in different circumstances.  I’m thinking of switching to Easy Peasy Spanish.

Hillsdale College changed their free class structure.... dropping all actual lessons and quizzes... that messed up our year as well.  Then, due to complaints, the college put everything back in place.  Right after we revamped our plans.  So thatvhas been a bit wonky too. 

Essentials in Literature 10 has been a great fit.

ByLine has worked well... DS enjoys it   Though DD was supposed to use it as well.  She did not like it at all.

MCT WWTW2, Poetry and Humanity, re reading Magic Lens 1.... has all worked for DD.

AOPS and TT Geometry are perfect.... one for each kid   Lol

Apoogia Chemistry has been a big hit too.  A bit too slow and easy for DD, but DS finds it challenging.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sblora said:

GeoKitty...where is the Essentials in Lit 10 from?  Thx for the Hillsdale info, those courses look great!

Essentials in Literature is relatively new, from the Essentials in Writing EIW people

yes, DS loves Hillsdale classes.  He wants to use them next year for government and economics.  But I may sneak in a textbook too.  We will see. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GeoKitty said:

Essentials in Literature is relatively new, from the Essentials in Writing EIW people

yes, DS loves Hillsdale classes.  He wants to use them next year for government and economics.  But I may sneak in a textbook too.  We will see. 

Could you link the Hillsdale classes please? Sorry if you already did this but I couldn't see it and couldn't seem to find the right place to look on their website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Semester is over, so I can report that Norse Mythology with Tessa Carmen at  CLRC was officially a hit. One semester is the perfect length. Dd really enjoyed the class. Her only comment was that she wished the lecture had been split over two days per week rather than one day, as it is sort of a long class to sit through once a week, but she would still do it again. She got a lot out of the class and has retained an impressive amount compared to many of her other, more demanding classes where things go in and out so fast by the end of a semester she only remembers detail on the last thing she read.

This was, from my end as a parent, a fairly low demand class, but was well run. Mrs. Carmen was responsive, things were graded in a timely manner, she showed up, and dd really enjoyed her teaching style. No complaints. Two thumbs up. 🙂

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tessa’s Intro to Lit class is also excellent!

And Dicentra’s chem has been outstanding. So much learning and she is so incredibly responsive! 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Tessa’s Intro to Lit class is also excellent!

Does she only teach in two hour blocks? Ugh! I have a kid I'm looking at for Intro to Lit next year but that's a loooong class length. 

My dd#1 also took Norse and found the class length too long. That put a big damper on the class likeability (somewhat offset by having a friend in the class). She also found the grading of some items to be weird (overly picky on some things) but it wasn't a hard class. The writing projects, ultimately, were fun and DD learned a few things. (Plus, she added Old Norse (?) to her list of "want to learn someday" languages. Sigh.)

After a teacher crisis, German 2 at CLRC is going as well as can be expected. The new teacher is fun but the class is waay behind (somewhat due to German 1 pace being slow & first teacher this year trying to firm up foundations). I have come to peace with it, but hope CLRC adds a German 2 1/2 next year for the kids who are continuing. (My kid is graduating.)

Will try to post reviews of Norse & Intro to Java (through Excelsior Classes) in Online Class Master Thread on General Ed Board when I get the chance.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Does she only teach in two hour blocks? Ugh! I have a kid I'm looking at for Intro to Lit next year but that's a loooong class length. 

My dd#1 also took Norse and found the class length too long. That put a big damper on the class likeability (somewhat offset by having a friend in the class). She also found the grading of some items to be weird (overly picky on some things) but it wasn't a hard class. The writing projects, ultimately, were fun and DD learned a few things. (Plus, she added Old Norse (?) to her list of "want to learn someday" languages. Sigh.)

After a teacher crisis, German 2 at CLRC is going as well as can be expected. The new teacher is fun but the class is waay behind (somewhat due to German 1 pace being slow & first teacher this year trying to firm up foundations). I have come to peace with it, but hope CLRC adds a German 2 1/2 next year for the kids who are continuing. (My kid is graduating.)

Will try to post reviews of Norse & Intro to Java (through Excelsior Classes) in Online Class Master Thread on General Ed Board when I get the chance.

 

Yes, only 2 hour blocks, but I believe it includes a 10 minute break. I have mine run around the house sometimes in between.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2018 at 4:43 PM, fourisenough said:

I realize some people won't begin school until after this holiday weekend, but for those who are already in the thick of things, how is your year going?

DD13 is beginning her third week of school. Two of four outsourced classes have begun and are both HUGE hits! She loves Clover Creek Physics (though it will be a good challenge for her) and CLRC Great Books 1 (intense work load, but squarely within her area of strength). Latin 1 and Geometry at WHA begin next week, but both are just the next course in the sequence for her with this same provider, so I am fairly confident they will be great fits, too. Overall, I'm very happy with the amount of work, quality of instruction, expectations, feedback, and schedule. 

 Seems like a lifetime ago that I started this thread! All four of DD’s online classes mentioned above were, indeed, huge hits this semester, especially Clover Creek Physics. Wow, Jetta is just amazing! I will say that we’re all looking forward to having fewer providers next year. But if Clover Valley Chemistry is as good as I’m hearing, maybe we’ll be stuck with three different calendars/portals/LMS! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2018 at 8:36 PM, 8FillTheHeart said:

I want to share that I am very satisfied.  It is obvious you put a lot of thought into creating the course. My Dd has been able to look at the syllabus and figure out how to divvy up the work to stay on track without ever feeling overwhelmed. The workload does not seem at all atypical for an honors level course.  (But, oh my, rdj2027's poor Dd.....that would be insane!!)

My Dd got upset with me bc I told her that for the foreseeable future she has to do the labs on the weekends bc our grandkids are living with us until Dil is no longer on bedrest and their baby sister arrives.  I just handle any other non-routine things during our school days.  She had different ideas.....oh well, that has absolutely nothing to do with you and she will just have to get over it. But it made me try to imagine what rbj2027's Dd was thinking this week!!  Chemistry nightmare!! 

8 (and anyone else with a child taking Clover Valley Chem), can you give an update on your student’s experience with chemistry this year so far? Can anyone compare it to chem or honors chem at WHA? I’m considering both for my DD for next year. She’s currently taking Clover Creek Physics and earning an A-. It is a challenge for her but, like everyone else, she adores the teacher and her excellent organization. Science isn’t really DD’s ‘thing’ but I want her prepared for college-level science work should her interests shift.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fourisenough said:

8 (and anyone else with a child taking Clover Valley Chem), can you give an update on your student’s experience with chemistry this year so far? Can anyone compare it to chem or honors chem at WHA? I’m considering both for my DD for next year. She’s currently taking Clover Creek Physics and earning an A-. It is a challenge for her but, like everyone else, she adores the teacher and her excellent organization. Science isn’t really DD’s ‘thing’ but I want her prepared for college-level science work should her interests shift.

CVC honors chemistry is an excellent course.  The workload is heavy as is appropriate for an honors course.  The content is taught very well and the course is well-organized.  Connie is timely in grading and in answering questions.

My caveat would be that I wouldn't want to compare the course to CC's physics.  I have no first hand experience with CC's physics class, but based on my reading, the 2 courses are not comparable in structure or workload. For a student who doesn't like science and just needs to be prepared for college, you might want to also look into the non-honors course that Connie offers.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE A COUPON FOR
10% OFF
We respect your privacy.You’ll hear about new products, special discounts & sales, and homeschooling tips. *Coupon only valid for first-time registrants. Coupon cannot be combined with any other offer. Entering your email address makes you eligible to receive future promotional emails.
0 Shares
Share
Tweet
Pin
×