Menu

Odd interaction with professor about final grade

Pegasus

After reaching the spring of her third year in college and having never gotten a course grade lower than A-, DD finally hit a course that kicked her butt. She legitimately earned a poor grade and that was reflected in her final semester grades. Just yesterday, the professor approached her in the hallway and mentioned that she is considering raising her grade from last semester. Her reasons that she shared was that DD did relatively well on the in class exams so she was learning the theory.  Her worst scores were on the homework projects where the theory needed to be applied in practical applications.  The professor stated that she knew that many students used inappropriate help and/or turned in work that was not their own for the projects.  She seemed to feel bad that DD obviously didn't go that route and suffered the consequences.

The whole encounter struck DD as being kind of weird. She knew she didn't do well in the course and while unhappy with her grade, figured it was appropriate. She left the exchange actually wondering if the professor was looking for her to make a pitch for a better grade, which she didn't do. . .and later wondered if she missed her opportunity!

Is it unheard of for a professor to decide on their own to change a final grade, well after the completion of the semester?  How SHOULD have DD handled it?

The professor was likely feeling guilty because she knew other students had cheated and ended up with better grades than your daughter who did not cheat. It’s probably been troubling her for quite awhile. Cheating is often quite complicated and difficult for professors to deal with, as I know from having a husband who used to be in academia, and numerous friends who still are. My SIL used to be an assistant dean at a top LAC and her main responsibility was academic dishonesty. No one ever lasted in the job more than three years due to the stress.

I think your daughter handled it just fine, as it seems she got the grade she felt she deserved. And one grade in one course is very unlikely to make any difference in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1

I appreciate the insights!  DD did end up sending a follow up email simply thanking the professor for approaching her to discuss her performance in the course. I'll update the thread if she ever sees/hears that the grade was changed. We've been encouraging DD to simply put this course behind her; as Frances mentioned, one course is not likely to matter in the large scheme of things. DD's parents definitely had some darker grade blips on otherwise great college transcripts. 

• Like 5