Menu

What's with the ads?

hjffkj

September Frugalistas

We looked at two houses today, both that we really like. And both are very affordable. We are going back on weds with my parents to see how they feel, since they'll live there within a year or 2. On weds, we're also seeing 2 other houses for the first time. I'm pretty excited about these 2 we haven't seen also. This is getting real.

• Like 2

With five days left in the month, we're at $742 for food out of a $750 food budget.  Includes every single edible thing except what DH bought on his work trip (but does include the things he brought from home in his suitcase, like Larabars).  I will have to stop at Aldi tomorrow to spend the remaining $8 on milk, eggs, and a bag of potatoes (on sale this week), but that should be all I need until October!  Fingers crossed, because it seems every month I think I'm in just under the line and end up needing something else... something else... and $30-40 later...

One of my non-food splurges this month was a wax warmer from Aldi for $6.  I dug out all my fall and winter "seasonal candles", and many of them were unusable because the wicks were broken or they had just burned down too far.  Instead of tossing them out, I put them in the freezer, then broke down the remaining candle wax into "chunks", and can now use the wax chunks in the warmer instead of buying new candles.  We usually end up with a couple candles as gifts every year to replace the wax pieces, so I shouldn't have to buy anything else for it.

Smells a bit less like "stinky boy sweat" in here.  A bit.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, hjffkj said:

We looked at two houses today, both that we really like. And both are very affordable. We are going back on weds with my parents to see how they feel, since they'll live there within a year or 2. On weds, we're also seeing 2 other houses for the first time. I'm pretty excited about these 2 we haven't seen also. This is getting real.

Very cool!

1 hour ago, BarbecueMom said:

With five days left in the month, we're at $742 for food out of a $750 food budget.  Includes every single edible thing except what DH bought on his work trip (but does include the things he brought from home in his suitcase, like Larabars).  I will have to stop at Aldi tomorrow to spend the remaining $8 on milk, eggs, and a bag of potatoes (on sale this week), but that should be all I need until October!  Fingers crossed, because it seems every month I think I'm in just under the line and end up needing something else... something else... and $30-40 later...

One of my non-food splurges this month was a wax warmer from Aldi for $6.  I dug out all my fall and winter "seasonal candles", and many of them were unusable because the wicks were broken or they had just burned down too far.  Instead of tossing them out, I put them in the freezer, then broke down the remaining candle wax into "chunks", and can now use the wax chunks in the warmer instead of buying new candles.  We usually end up with a couple candles as gifts every year to replace the wax pieces, so I shouldn't have to buy anything else for it.

Smells a bit less like "stinky boy sweat" in here.  A bit.

lOL, smart idea! 

I hear you on the groceries! I ran out of bread and forgot to go by the store yesterday, the kids had interesting lunches today ? for school.

I'm working on the budget here, it looks like I have $100ish left for the month. I've just been going through my mountain of receipts in my purse. I've been sorting out non-food purchases at the grocery store like the pizza stone I got at Aldi's (dropped it last week), dishwasher det, and laundry detergent. 

Went to the discount store yesterday for a snack run, spent about $25- got 7 boxes of gf poptarts, 7 boxes gf crackers, 6 bags of Brookside chocolate mixes, bag of gf cookies, box of 16 KIND fruit bars, 1 box of gf instant oatmeal (they dont' care for it but good for camping) and 10 packs of gum. Def not stuff we had to have but nice to have splurges on the cheap- the pop tarts are special occasion stuff I've put aside.

Went to Goodwill- spent $33- $25 on new with tags (real) fur-lined boots for dd- in her exact size. It's still a lot for Goodwill but they are new. I found 2 pairs of shoes- one flats for dd3 and water shoes for dd2 both for $2.50, overalls for dd2- $2.5, and a $3 basket- the perfect size for my entry room shelf!!!

I spent $12 from my hoarded b-day money on a HUGE(4ft x 3ft) mirror in great condition. I've got my eye on a re-vamp of the master bedroom bath. I *think* I have enough leftover tan paint from the living room, I already had a shelf I'd got from Goodwill ages ago, and the curtains are white and the rug is tan. I just need some white paint for the mirror frame. I'd also like to find a pic or two and a small metal cabinet, I'll just have to keep my eyes open. 

We've done HORRIBLE on gas this month, UGH. 

• Like 3

Sometimes I think I did ok in September.  Other times I am I like what the heck did I buy.  Really I didn't buy anything extra.  I bought groceries and household supplies (toilet paper, soap, detergent etc. )  I even packed lunches when we had to be out at lunch time.   September is just a hard month for us.  And I don't guess it is going to get any easier the next few months.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Baseball mom said:

Sometimes I think I did ok in September.  Other times I am I like what the heck did I buy.  Really I didn't buy anything extra.  I bought groceries and household supplies (toilet paper, soap, detergent etc. )  I even packed lunches when we had to be out at lunch time.   September is just a hard month for us.  And I don't guess it is going to get any easier the next few months.

Hugs.  I hope things get better.  Is there anything you need help with? 

• Like 1

(hugs Baseball mom)

So, I went past the grocery budget- because I didn't plan supper Thurs. night I ended up going in to the grocery store- was just going to get a pack of gf corndogs that would have kept me in budget but they didn't have any. Looked for hamburgers they were on sale, so I got 2 and b/c it was a buy 5 get $5 off added on 3 packs of butter, they were on sale and I'm at the end of my stash. Also, pickedup gf "rye" bed- on mar-down-$2.83 a loaf. Last time I had found it on markdown for $2- got like 5, realized I LOVED it but hadn't got anymore due to the cost, so I had to buy all they had. The kids don't like it but it is heaven to me with a tuna sandwich, it has been my supper for 3 days!!

yesterday, I decided we would take the kids out after ds' meet, we've not gone out to eat in months. Even at Chik-Fil A it was $45 (that's why we don't go often) it is spendy to fill everyone up. 

Our month has been ok'ish, I've certainly not been as tight but we certainly could have done worse. I've got to stop stocking up for the freezer- I've got so much meat I can hardly fit any in there anymore. I'd be well under budget if I'd not stocked so much.

I'm ready for October. I get paid from VIPKID and dh gets an extra paycheck, it should be a good month.

I'm not as optimistic Oct. will get me near as many hours from VIPKID with the way it is looking. I've got to get my level 2 video submitted. I woudl have done it yesterday but there was a glitch in the system and I had to submit a ticket, it just showed back up today. Must get that done this week- 35% of their students are Level 2 so it really opens up a lot of kids. I've got 6 Level 2's to sign up for the program myself but I couldn't' teach them. So, my Oct. goals are to get Level 2 certified, fill in my education area (they changed your intro page so I now have a chance to highlight my experience more but have not tackled it yet), and redo my intro video (no, I've still not done that). Unless things change next week is looking very slow and the following week is booked tonight- I'm holding my breath, hoping, that I get some of my bookings back after the holidays, if not I'll have to work it harder.

• Like 1

Well, dh was called in early today, so that's an 18h day for him.  It's brutal, but after 12 hours he's technically on crew rest and gets 1.5x pay, after 16h it's 2x the hourly wage.  It's like working over an extra full day.  I wish he would have turned it down, though.  The hours are hard.

We have decided to cancel our trash service.  Our town doesn't provide it - the general rule here is that everyone buys special trash bags and takes their stuff to the dump themselves.  An annual car sticker gets you access.  I wasn't sure how it would be with our first winter here and opted to pay a private company $46/month to take our trash and recycling.  It has been nice, but we won't need them.  And the dump sticker, which we're already paying for, was needed to clear out the brush and larger pieces. It didn't make sense to keep paying them to take one bag of trash each week and two bags of recycling every other week.  So now our monthly costs will be $15/mo, not nearly $50.

• Like 2

We got through September and are mostly caught up with our health insurance bill! Re-stocked our groceries with a big shopping trip (still have to go to TJs for a few items) and am hoping we can make it through October. We've a cousin's funeral to go to several states away (thankfully, hotel is paid for with relative's travel points) and a conference my spouse needs to attend, so gas expenditures will be high. I successfully resisted a yarn sale.

4 hours ago, soror said:

(hugs Baseball mom)

So, I went past the grocery budget- because I didn't plan supper Thurs. night I ended up going in to the grocery store- was just going to get a pack of gf corndogs that would have kept me in budget but they didn't have any. Looked for hamburgers they were on sale, so I got 2 and b/c it was a buy 5 get $5 off added on 3 packs of butter, they were on sale and I'm at the end of my stash. Also, pickedup gf "rye" bed- on mar-down-$2.83 a loaf. Last time I had found it on markdown for $2- got like 5, realized I LOVED it but hadn't got anymore due to the cost, so I had to buy all they had. The kids don't like it but it is heaven to me with a tuna sandwich, it has been my supper for 3 days!!

yesterday, I decided we would take the kids out after ds' meet, we've not gone out to eat in months. Even at Chik-Fil A it was $45 (that's why we don't go often) it is spendy to fill everyone up. 

Our month has been ok'ish, I've certainly not been as tight but we certainly could have done worse. I've got to stop stocking up for the freezer- I've got so much meat I can hardly fit any in there anymore. I'd be well under budget if I'd not stocked so much.

I'm ready for October. I get paid from VIPKID and dh gets an extra paycheck, it should be a good month.

I'm not as optimistic Oct. will get me near as many hours from VIPKID with the way it is looking. I've got to get my level 2 video submitted. I woudl have done it yesterday but there was a glitch in the system and I had to submit a ticket, it just showed back up today. Must get that done this week- 35% of their students are Level 2 so it really opens up a lot of kids. I've got 6 Level 2's to sign up for the program myself but I couldn't' teach them. So, my Oct. goals are to get Level 2 certified, fill in my education area (they changed your intro page so I now have a chance to highlight my experience more but have not tackled it yet), and redo my intro video (no, I've still not done that). Unless things change next week is looking very slow and the following week is booked tonight- I'm holding my breath, hoping, that I get some of my bookings back after the holidays, if not I'll have to work it harder.

I hope that your Oct on VIPKID picks up.  Yay for the extra money. 

Yeah we don't go out to eat much either.  Usually we let the kids pick something to eat on their birthday, and they usually pick Culvers. And yep at least 45 bucks.  We skipped it this month.  Saved at least $90.  

Saved at least $400 when dh was able to fix the garbage disposal.  But his car needs brakes. 

Paid for the kids to be in the Nutcracker .  That is a ton. 

Still trying to figure out if they are going to do a second dance studio this year.  

Got a lot of things listed on CL.  Haven't sold anything yet.  ?  

• Like 2

Heads up if you have birthday or Christmas LEGO gifts to buy, there’s a $10 Target gift card on a $50 LEGO purchase this week, both in-store and online.  I haven’t seen more than 10% off in a while, and most of the regular toy coupons exclude LEGO these days.

Black Friday deals might be better, but middle DS’s birthday is in a couple weeks and has a specific set he wants.  I got that one, plus another small set to hold back for Christmas to hit the $50 total.

That gift, plus getting the oil changed and inspection done early on the car instead of next weekend, put me over budget in the September “random expenses” category - everything that isn’t bills, food, household goods, or gas.  I’m still under budget on everything else though!

We’ll see how October goes.  The fridge and pantry are kind of empty, unless you could live off ketchup and popcorn.  Two of my kids probably wouldn’t complain.

• Like 2