Menu

September Frugalistas

hjffkj

15 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

You are doing awesome.  Blew your goal out of the water.  I am so glad this is working for you.  

Thanks! It is going well so far! Fingers crossed that continues. I'm going to continue adding levels and certifications. My big goal is to make $1000 a month.

I woke up this am with 22 classes now booked, that will out me over the 30 classes needed for the 50c class bonus and I think that puts me right at the 45 needed for the $1 class bonus!

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, soror said:

Thanks! It is going well so far! Fingers crossed that continues. I'm going to continue adding levels and certifications. My bug goal is to make $1000 a month.

I woke up this am with 22 classes now booked, that will out me over the 30 classes needed for the 50c class bonus and I think that puts me right at the 45 needed for the $1 class bonus!

Awesome!!  I think you will get to that $1000 goal in no time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Awesome!!  I think you will get to that $1000 goal in no time.  

I hope, we'll see. I've seen some veteran teachers complain about bookings going down from time to time and perhaps it is just good luck right now, I've got to do well to retain kids and build up a following. 

Today is TKD here, I've got to go by WM and pick up some bread for the kids for lunch, I think that's it. 

I'm really hoping dh can finangle some OT this weekend, we don't have any plans so it would be a good time. They were talking about some projects for him that would need to be done in non-production time so we'll cross our fingers.

• Like 1

Went to the library last night as two of my girls do reader's theater there. Middle DD was the oldest and so she got to lead one of the plays - she rocked it! (non-frugal mama brag). Anyway, while I was there, I glanced at their small booksale area; I normally don't because I'm liable to buy all of the books. But I found a teacher's guide to a US History text I have and Saxon Algebra 1 (text and solutions manual) - total cost $3. I haven't decided what I'll use for youngest for Algebra yet, but of all my kids, she's most likely to use a straightforward, spiral text like Saxon. If she doesn't, I can resell probably for more than $2!

• Like 3

Dentist appointment yesterday.  I have great dental insurance, but teeth/health issues that require more frequent visits for cleanings and exams (thanks acid reflux), so this was out of pocket.  My next one in December will be OOP too.  Merry Christmas to me.

I'm at $332 on food for the month, and I shouldn't need any groceries until the weekend.  That includes giving my mom $30 for her and the kids to eat at Culver's last night while I was at the dentist.  I'm not including DH's food for this week because he's on per diem and using Uber Eats daily, which would never happen at home.  Lol nope.  I do need to get some of the things on sale at Costco this month, use a $5/$30 coupon at a local grocery chain, and figure out cheap, easy meals for next week's surgery recovery.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

soror, that is awesome about VIPKID. I've been considering seeing if I can get hired their but haven't quite decided.

We are still trying to catch up from our impromptu date night spending so we've been pretty strictly no spend except groceries and gas. It is going well enough. I made $120 pet sitting last weekend. I started using swagbucks again but I'm only doing the passive things like the videos. I'm specifically hoping that I can earn enough in swagbucks to cover the few christmas gifts we need to purchase.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

Dentist appointment yesterday.  I have great dental insurance, but teeth/health issues that require more frequent visits for cleanings and exams (thanks acid reflux), so this was out of pocket.  My next one in December will be OOP too.  Merry Christmas to me.

I'm at $332 on food for the month, and I shouldn't need any groceries until the weekend.  That includes giving my mom $30 for her and the kids to eat at Culver's last night while I was at the dentist.  I'm not including DH's food for this week because he's on per diem and using Uber Eats daily, which would never happen at home.  Lol nope.  I do need to get some of the things on sale at Costco this month, use a $5/$30 coupon at a local grocery chain, and figure out cheap, easy meals for next week's surgery recovery.

Sorry about the dentist ? There is only so much we can control about our health, I have auto-immune issues. I take good care of my body but that is the hand I've been dealt, dh has some congenital health issues, lucky for us nothing major but we both have regular medications and dr. visits.

19 hours ago, beckyjo said:

Went to the library last night as two of my girls do reader's theater there. Middle DD was the oldest and so she got to lead one of the plays - she rocked it! (non-frugal mama brag). Anyway, while I was there, I glanced at their small booksale area; I normally don't because I'm liable to buy all of the books. But I found a teacher's guide to a US History text I have and Saxon Algebra 1 (text and solutions manual) - total cost $3. I haven't decided what I'll use for youngest for Algebra yet, but of all my kids, she's most likely to use a straightforward, spiral text like Saxon. If she doesn't, I can resell probably for more than $2!

Congrats to your daughter!

16 hours ago, hjffkj said:

soror, that is awesome about VIPKID. I've been considering seeing if I can get hired their but haven't quite decided.

We are still trying to catch up from our impromptu date night spending so we've been pretty strictly no spend except groceries and gas. It is going well enough. I made $120 pet sitting last weekend. I started using swagbucks again but I'm only doing the passive things like the videos. I'm specifically hoping that I can earn enough in swagbucks to cover the few christmas gifts we need to purchase.

Fwiw VIPKID has changed the hiring process, as I understand it you now get unlimited opportunities to try to pass your Mock(practice class).

So, I posted that I sold some curriculum but the one lady backed out, another lady, however, did go ahead and buy it, already paid for it. Should be $50 after shipping.

More classes for today, so far I've got 12.5 hours booked for this week, very close to my goal of 15. 15 hours should net me close to $1000 after taxes.

I went by WM last night for some gf bread for the kids, it's actually a bit cheaper than Aldi's there and the kids like it better. Well, lo and behold I found lots of stuff on clearance. Various odds and ends but my big find was GF Udi's bagels- $1 a bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are usually $5 and $1 a bag is a good deal even for regular bagels, I, of course, bought the 10 they had! I spent $49 total. Today I've got to start on my Aldi's grocery list, I'll do shopping there while dd3 does her class.

Last night we had leftovers and I still have some. I might do another leftover night on Thursday since I'll be getting in later and use the stew meat to make stew for tonight, that seems like a good plan! I've got chicken breasts I want to make into a nice spicy soup, a bit of pulled pork, a serving or 2 of chili, and a bit of taco meat already cooked up that with refried beans will make a mess of tacos. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, soror said:

Sorry about the dentist ? There is only so much we can control about our health, I have auto-immune issues. I take good care of my body but that is the hand I've been dealt, dh has some congenital health issues, lucky for us nothing major but we both have regular medications and dr. visits.

Congrats to your daughter!

Fwiw VIPKID has changed the hiring process, as I understand it you now get unlimited opportunities to try to pass your Mock(practice class).

So, I posted that I sold some curriculum but the one lady backed out, another lady, however, did go ahead and buy it, already paid for it. Should be $50 after shipping.

More classes for today, so far I've got 12.5 hours booked for this week, very close to my goal of 15. 15 hours should net me close to $1000 after taxes.

I went by WM last night for some gf bread for the kids, it's actually a bit cheaper than Aldi's there and the kids like it better. Well, lo and behold I found lots of stuff on clearance. Various odds and ends but my big find was GF Udi's bagels- $1 a bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are usually $5 and $1 a bag is a good deal even for regular bagels, I, of course, bought the 10 they had! I spent $49 total. Today I've got to start on my Aldi's grocery list, I'll do shopping there while dd3 does her class.

Last night we had leftovers and I still have some. I might do another leftover night on Thursday since I'll be getting in later and use the stew meat to make stew for tonight, that seems like a good plan! I've got chicken breasts I want to make into a nice spicy soup, a bit of pulled pork, a serving or 2 of chili, and a bit of taco meat already cooked up that with refried beans will make a mess of tacos. 

Wow!!!  You reached your ultimate goal in a month.  You rock.  

Awesome on all your other stuff too.  

Friday means payday! I've made $30 worth of swagbucks in the last 2 days  doing mostly passive stuff, so minimum work for me.  $763 went into our down payment fund, which is actually leaves us ahead of schedule for fully funding that by January. we've done no spending this week other than paying bills and grocery.

I do have to head to the bank to get the kids allowances and some additional cash for a community event this weekend where we might eat at.  But I may just pack lunch as well.

Edited by hjffkj
  • Like 1

I bought groceries stocked up on lots of sale stuff. I now have beef in my freezer, woot! I think I spent around $210, I've not done the total yet. (I went to 3 different stores) Oh, and I spent $3.50 on 2 kombuchas as a treat ? 

Spent $10 for a bday gift for my nephew and $6 buying ponytails, bobby pins, and scrunchies. 

Dh's work eye glasses lost a screw so he had to pick up an eye glass kit. 

Supposedly someone is coming to get my entertainment center, again, we'll see, that's just $30 though.

Tonight we're going to see a free magician show, yesterday they had a bday swim party, free fun!

I'm at $522 for VIPKID and have a guaranteed $80 more scheduled. I'm very anxious to see what I wake up to tomorrow and to see if I get as many bookings this week. I ended this week with right at 15 hours. I've not got as many hours open next week but (1) I'm finally taking off a day and (2) I have to take dd1 to an ortho appt in the middle of peak time Tuesday. I've still got 16.5 hours open, this week I opened some slots Fri and Sat night, that only netted me 2 bookings but that's an hour, I didn't open them this week though, I really don't want to work at night too, to be honest. We'll see how it goes. I've got 2 reviews now, woot! And have 50 finished classes (some were student no-shows but still count in that total).

8 minutes ago, SKL said:

?

?

I'm sorry ? Taxes are no fun.

Let's see figured out I used all my texts, which is highly unusual, I always have way more texts, I've been trying to text more instead of call but can't believe I've used that many. I guess I'll dial that back ? Tried to buy some for $5 this am BUT we're still having issues with our credit cards after some fraud, it is a hot mess. Guess we have to call again and have new cards sent

More classes booked- 11 Master Classes booked for next week, these are the best because they are full pay even if they don't show up and 4 of these are repeating students. I've got 6 trials for this week so far- 3 this am- 1 no- show so half-pay, the other too short notice so $2 extra each.  If it goes like last week I'll have more trials fill in more still open slots. As of now I,'ll hit $770 even if no one shows up the rest of the month. Makes $1000 goal seem like a possibility and makes me really want to open up Saturday, although I'm dying for a day off, sigh.....

Got to pay some Scout fees tonight, need to add it all up, need to register all the girls but I get my reg. fees back (Troop pays for leaders).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, soror said:

?

I'm sorry ? Taxes are no fun.

Let's see figured out I used all my texts, which is highly unusual, I always have way more texts, I've been trying to text more instead of call but can't believe I've used that many. I guess I'll dial that back ? Tried to buy some for $5 this am BUT we're still having issues with our credit cards after some fraud, it is a hot mess. Guess we have to call again and have new cards sent

More classes booked- 11 Master Classes booked for next week, these are the best because they are full pay even if they don't show up and 4 of these are repeating students. I've got 6 trials for this week so far- 3 this am- 1 no- show so half-pay, the other too short notice so $2 extra each.  If it goes like last week I'll have more trials fill in more still open slots. As of now I,'ll hit $770 even if no one shows up the rest of the month. Makes $1000 goal seem like a possibility and makes me really want to open up Saturday, although I'm dying for a day off, sigh.....

Got to pay some Scout fees tonight, need to add it all up, need to register all the girls but I get my reg. fees back (Troop pays for leaders).

Way to go on all the classes.  I think you are going to make the 1k goal.  What hours do you work? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Way to go on all the classes.  I think you are going to make the 1k goal.  What hours do you work? 

I hope so. 

For my time zone, the peak-peak times have been 6-8. I've worked anytime between 5:30-9:00 am. I also did a couple of evening classes this Fri and Sat. Some people work overnighters Fri, because Fri night is Sat. day over there. Right now I've got my Fri and Sat night closed this week but maybe I'll open it back up a little bit. 

1 hour ago, soror said:

I hope so. 

For my time zone, the peak-peak times have been 6-8. I've worked anytime between 5:30-9:00 am. I also did a couple of evening classes this Fri and Sat. Some people work overnighters Fri, because Fri night is Sat. day over there. Right now I've got my Fri and Sat night closed this week but maybe I'll open it back up a little bit. 

Are you on the west coast?  I have been thinking of doing this for a long time but everything I read was people getting up so early.  5:30 isn't that horrible.  Does your dh just handle getting the kids ready and to school. 

Friday nights would work really well for me.  Hmm

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Are you on the west coast?  I have been thinking of doing this for a long time but everything I read was people getting up so early.  5:30 isn't that horrible.  Does your dh just handle getting the kids ready and to school. 

Friday nights would work really well for me.  Hmm

No, I'm central time zone, if you are in the eastern time zone it is an hour later (and hours earlier moving west). I did have my schedule where I'd start as soon as the kids left at 6:30 on the days they had school(and another slot between 5-5:30), just this week I moved my start time to 6am, now that we are a month or so in they pretty much can take care of themselves, they are 11 and 14, so older. Dh leaves around 5:30 so he's gone by then. It seems plenty of people do all night Friday night, I'm not a night owl at all so that's my preference. On the weekends I've started at 5:30, I did have 5:00-5:30 open during the week but never got booked then and this week I closed it and opened it up at 6 instead, really dh likes to use the computer before work for his college homework so it works better anyway. Tomorrow I have my first class at 6 while the kids have school, so we'll see how that goes! 

Now if you are on the west cost it is super early! When the time changes peak-peaktimes for me will be 5-7, I'm both dreading and looking forward to that, it will be nice to be done even earlier but I like to have some time to myself before I teach and my normal wake up time is around 5-5:30, I'll have to get up around 4-4:30 to hit 5. There are also peak times an hour before those times, those times aren't booked as much as the peak, peak times. 

Right now it is still messing with my sleep some because I'm afraid I will oversleep on the days dh is not up so I wake up a million times and then I get anxious to check for bookings if I wake in the night, it is getting better as I'm getting used to it but I'm tired and enjoying daily naps whenever I can manage them.

I think right now must be a good time to be hired with the kids going back to school, it seems with the way people are talking bookings are up from the summer, that was dumb luck on my part getting hired at that time. 

If you want to sign up and don't have a referral already I'd be thrilled to give you my code- if someone uses your code and gets hired it's $100 (so I feel like I'd be stupid not to mention that). They've just changed the process, they say it is supposed to be easier to get hired now. It wasn't horrible when I did it, although intimidating! 

11 minutes ago, soror said:

No, I'm central time zone, if you are in the eastern time zone it is an hour later (and hours earlier moving west). I did have my schedule where I'd start as soon as the kids left at 6:30 on the days they had school(and another slot between 5-5:30), just this week I moved my start time to 6am, now that we are a month or so in they pretty much can take care of themselves, they are 11 and 14, so older. Dh leaves around 5:30 so he's gone by then. It seems plenty of people do all night Friday night, I'm not a night owl at all so that's my preference. On the weekends I've started at 5:30, I did have 5:00-5:30 open during the week but never got booked then and this week I closed it and opened it up at 6 instead, really dh likes to use the computer before work for his college homework so it works better anyway. Tomorrow I have my first class at 6 while the kids have school, so we'll see how that goes! 

Now if you are on the west cost it is super early! When the time changes peak-peaktimes for me will be 5-7, I'm both dreading and looking forward to that, it will be nice to be done even earlier but I like to have some time to myself before I teach and my normal wake up time is around 5-5:30, I'll have to get up around 4-4:30 to hit 5. There are also peak times an hour before those times, those times aren't booked as much as the peak, peak times. 

Right now it is still messing with my sleep some because I'm afraid I will oversleep on the days dh is not up so I wake up a million times and then I get anxious to check for bookings if I wake in the night, it is getting better as I'm getting used to it but I'm tired and enjoying daily naps whenever I can manage them.

I think right now must be a good time to be hired with the kids going back to school, it seems with the way people are talking bookings are up from the summer, that was dumb luck on my part getting hired at that time. 

If you want to sign up and don't have a referral already I'd be thrilled to give you my code- if someone uses your code and gets hired it's $100 (so I feel like I'd be stupid not to mention that). They've just changed the process, they say it is supposed to be easier to get hired now. It wasn't horrible when I did it, although intimidating! 

That is great to hear.  The whole reason I didn't do it was I talked myself out of it, because I have heard it was so hard and only 10% get hired. 

I didn't even think of the time changing.  Ha. 

It sure would be easier for me if the kids were gone.  It would have worked a lot better for me a year ago when dh worked from home.  My kids are young and really loud.  Still it is something to think about. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Hair and skin care items are 20% off this week with the Cartwheel coupon as well.

Our Target is currently being remodeled and has a large new section of sample-sized skin care items.  For some reason, my face has felt like it's burning for the past couple days, so I grabbed a couple trial sized items to switch up what I'm already using.  Better than buying a huge bottle, only to have it melt my face off.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2018 at 8:59 AM, BarbecueMom said:

I wonder if I'm the only person on the planet who pockets a per diem food budget when on work travel and eats ramen and tuna or grocery store salads or McDonald's dollar coupon sandwiches?

I'm back under budget on fuel! I had fallen behind because I worked our vacation travel fuel receipts in. 

So far, September has come in under budget in all areas. Woot!

I'm about to have to rework the budget to figure out how best to pay DD's therapist out of pocket, because her new office won't take our insurance. It means that I'll have to pay $75 out of pocket each session and send in the forms and bills to insurance myself. In the long run, that should mean that after reimbursement, not counting deductible (which is fairly low and we usually meet by the end of February for one thing or another) I'll pay $15 coinsurance per session, but my insurance may take up to 4 months or more to reimburse. This is better than the $30 per session we have been paying OOP with the therapist billing insurance from her solo practice, without asking us to pay the full amount when we hadn't met deductible at the beginning of the year.

Good thing we have credit cards with 0% interest and are building up savings!

My savings account has more $$ in it now that it has at any time since I got out of the Navy in 2001. I may wind up using it to pay down a CC, but it's still nice to see the cushion there for the time being.

• Like 2

Frugal boo- car repairs- Dh ran over some random metal piece in the middle of the road that decimated the truck tire, not sure if there is hazard coverage for it or not ? There is also some repair that needs to be done, good news is that he has figured out what it is, not sure on the cost on that either. 

Went to Goodwill- spent $17- $9 on "new" bike for dd3 (dh ran over hers left in driveway), $4 roller blades for dd2, $3.50 pretty flats for me, $1 halloween costume piece

dd1 had ortho today, last full payment, woot, woot!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 9/17/2018 at 3:58 PM, Ravin said:

I wonder if I'm the only person on the planet who pockets a per diem food budget when on work travel and eats ramen and tuna or grocery store salads or McDonald's dollar coupon sandwiches?

Nope my husband does similar things. Sandwiches, microwavable food if there is a microwave. Of course, a can of chili is more expensive than my homemade but on a trip it is still cheaper than eating out. At times he has found a hotel near a park so he can grill at the park. 

So we switched cell carriers. We moved to Cricket and that will save us $10 a month. 

Just went and picked up fruit that had a good sale and pork chops that were buy one get one free. 

Still behind even though last month was 3 checks. I think really it is more like this month having three checks though considering the last check came the 31st. 

Edited by frogger
  • Like 1

Dh took the tire in and they patched it for free b/c of road hazard BUT the hole was pretty big so it may or may not hold, fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!

The lady did come and buy the entertainment center last night. 

I'm plugging away with work. I've decided to hold off on certifying other levels unless things change since I'm getting about as many hours as I want and I believe I prefer the older ones, we'll see if that changes. I also got an invite to some other program for Advanced English lessons that I'm considering, yet again it requires a demo video, blech. But it would be older and more advanced kids too so that sounds good. 

Dh bought some boots, $40, but still needs ones he actually wears at work which is going to cost $200 or so (non-negotiable working in concrete all day in a wet environment).

I've been working on the budget but need to pow wow with dh to get it all sorted out. 

I'll be working on my grocery list today after looking at the grocery bills, tonight is ham and beans for the frugal win! 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2018 at 6:58 PM, Ravin said:

He usually does hold on to much of it and buys food to eat in the hotel room at the grocery store, but there were some issues this time.  He was in an unfamiliar area, booked too late to get a hotel room with a microwave or decent fridge, didn’t realize that he was in a valet-only hotel and getting the rental car out was a pain, and because of Celiac, was limited on what he could safely eat.  I think he only bought one meal a day (usually Five Guys) and ~$20 total in junk food, but that’s still more than we’d spend at home for five people.  I think I spent $23 at the store for the whole week he was gone.

He’s still “making” a couple hundred bucks plus credit card rewards from the trip.  Better than nothing!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BarbecueMom said:

He usually does hold on to much of it and buys food to eat in the hotel room at the grocery store, but there were some issues this time.  He was in an unfamiliar area, booked too late to get a hotel room with a microwave or decent fridge, didn’t realize that he was in a valet-only hotel and getting the rental car out was a pain, and because of Celiac, was limited on what he could safely eat.  I think he only bought one meal a day (usually Five Guys) and ~$20 total in junk food, but that’s still more than we’d spend at home for five people.  I think I spent $23 at the store for the whole week he was gone.

He’s still “making” a couple hundred bucks plus credit card rewards from the trip.  Better than nothing!

Sweet

• Like 1

Dh only gets reimbursed for actual receipts, so there's no per diem "bonus" for him.

Remember how I needed to replace my boat shoes? I snagged a pair on Zappos for 50% off (last pair in that size, so mega discount to clear that stock item). I'm super happy to have saved $45. They were exactly the color (grey) and style (all leather) that I wanted.  The old pair that I replaced had three holes in them. The kids were kind of shocked and amazed when I showed them.

The boat shoes story is kind of the bright spot in a grim, grim month.  

• Like 3

We got $150 in cash for our "like new" exercise bike. (Fitness fail, but, oh well.)

We have our kayak trailer listed for sale.

DS and spouse are driving back and forth to a conference they're attending this weekend, rather than pay for a hotel.

We didn't have to drive to town a couple days this week and that helped with gas. Plus, the hurricane missed us.

We found a Grocery Outlet where we will shop first, before going on to our usual stores. We're planning meals by what's on sale.

I asked our youth group leader if there is a scholarship for kids wanting to attend the high school retreat.

I'm using a B&N gift card to get a couple of books DS needs.

Let's see got groceries- still have a few sale items to pick up.

Rented Redbox movies for an at home date night.

Have someone else going to buy some more books, I should clear $60 from that. 

Dh worked an hour over Thurs, came in an hour early Friday, and is working some today. Woo hoo buckaroo! It won't show up until October but any time is a good time for extra money. I'm on target to hit at least $1000 this month with VIPKID, that is hard to believe. 

Must update the budget today while I have a few moments to myself!!!!

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

So, uh, we're buying a house.?

Our landlord is tired of being a landlord and is selling.  The price he offered us is more than fair (about $30K under market value and about $60K less than it would actually sell for in this market).  Dh's disability rating means we don't pay a lot of the loan costs to the bank.  We'll be free of dh's car note on Oct. 1for certain and close on the house on the 15th of Nov, if all goes right.

We intended to buy next year or so.  We love the area, and we love the house, even with its ghosts.  DS8 has friends in the neighborhood, Oldest ds's work is right around the corner...it's a good place.  I just didn't expect it so soon!

It means until we figure out the new budget things are going to be a bit leaner here.  I managed a rather nice meal plan for this week for $160 total at the grocery store:
Fri-sesame beef lo mein
Sat-pasta w/pesto, salad, bread
Sun-meatloaf & mashed potatoes
Mon-leftovers/frozen meal
Tues-chicken enchiladas, beans, rice
Weds-loaded baked potato soup
Thurs-honey mustard pork chops w/barley & carrots

Which honestly made everyone happy because I picked at least one food that each person likes.  If I can keep that up and keep shopping the sales for the next few months all will be good.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, HomeAgain said:

Our landlord is tired of being a landlord and is selling.  The price he offered us is more than fair (about $30K under market value and about $60K less than it would actually sell for in this market).  Dh's disability rating means we don't pay a lot of the loan costs to the bank.  We'll be free of dh's car note on Oct. 1for certain and close on the house on the 15th of Nov, if all goes right.

We intended to buy next year or so.  We love the area, and we love the house, even with its ghosts.  DS8 has friends in the neighborhood, Oldest ds's work is right around the corner...it's a good place.  I just didn't expect it so soon!

It means until we figure out the new budget things are going to be a bit leaner here.  I managed a rather nice meal plan for this week for $160 total at the grocery store:
Fri-sesame beef lo mein

Which honestly made everyone happy because I picked at least one food that each person likes.  If I can keep that up and keep shopping the sales for the next few months all will be good.

Congratulations!!!!!

We had 2 friends over last night to play board games. Since it was so last minute and basically one of our friends invited himself over we decided to do minimal hosting, which meant we didn't buy any extra drinks or food.  We offered what we already had and that was it.  So, we saved money on that.  Thankfully, our friends are the type to expect nothing and really just want to get together to play games. 

Dh and I got preapproved for a mortgage and are starting the serious house search on Monday.  I really love being able to save a butt load of money each month but the commute is awful for dh, we are getting antsy not being able to turn this house into our home and only living with half of our stuff, and just wanting to be settled in our long term home.  This has my anxiety high and I'm starting to worry about finances again.

Ds is zooming through his Beast Academy so I'm gonna have to purchase the next few books sooner than I was planning.  Why didn't the cheaper Math curriculum work for him!!! ha

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Ds is zooming through his Beast Academy so I'm gonna have to purchase the next few books sooner than I was planning.  Why didn't the cheaper Math curriculum work for him!!! ha

I feel your pain.  I have it on my calendar to purchase Right Start F in the middle of October.  And I've had to move that up from January, when I thought I'd be ordering it.

• Like 1

Still recovering from surgery (ugh), so no spending lately.  I baked an Instant Pot cheesecake before the surgery, which has felt incredibly indulgent and left me wanting for nothing. Fun fact - a box of Annie’s gluten free snickerdoodle bunnies (bought on sale, of course!) is the exact amount you need to make a 7” cheesecake crust.

Unfortunately, even though they left me plenty of cheesecake, the other residents of this house (and their temporary caregivers *ahem*grandma*ahem*) took advantage of the situation and ate only packaged food for three days.   What the heck, people? I threw out quite a bit of gross, uneaten fruit and veggies.  Oh well, I guess no one starved or required my assistance.  I should still have enough to get us through the end of the month.

It’s chilly today, with the A/C off and the windows open (finally!!!).  DH is re-hanging curtains downstairs.  The kids are practicing chess somewhat quietly.  Time for a library book, a cup of tea, and a nap.  Or just a nap.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Fri-sesame beef lo mein

Congrats!  sounds like you are getting an Amazing deal. 

2 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

Still recovering from surgery (ugh), so no spending lately.  I baked an Instant Pot cheesecake before the surgery, which has felt incredibly indulgent and left me wanting for nothing. Fun fact - a box of Annie’s gluten free snickerdoodle bunnies (bought on sale, of course!) is the exact amount you need to make a 7” cheesecake crust.

Unfortunately, even though they left me plenty of cheesecake, the other residents of this house (and their temporary caregivers *ahem*grandma*ahem*) took advantage of the situation and ate only packaged food for three days.   What the heck, people? I threw out quite a bit of gross, uneaten fruit and veggies.  Oh well, I guess no one starved or required my assistance.  I should still have enough to get us through the end of the month.

It’s chilly today, with the A/C off and the windows open (finally!!!).  DH is re-hanging curtains downstairs.  The kids are practicing chess somewhat quietly.  Time for a library book, a cup of tea, and a nap.  Or just a nap.

I didn't know you had surgery.  I hope you are resting and feeling ok.   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Fri-sesame beef lo mein

I LOVE Loaded Baked Potato Soup.  Unfortunately, one of my sons will eat the leftovers for every single meal (and snack) until it's gone!  I think I need to use a 50lb bag of potatoes and a vat to make enough to get a second bowl.

Good house-buying vibes coming to you and @hjffkj!  May everything go as smooth as possible!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

I LOVE Loaded Baked Potato Soup.  Unfortunately, one of my sons will eat the leftovers for every single meal (and snack) until it's gone!  I think I need to use a 50lb bag of potatoes and a vat to make enough to get a second bowl.

Good house-buying vibes coming to you and @hjffkj!  May everything go as smooth as possible!

Thanks for the good vibes from all of you!  We didn't expect to buy quite so soon.  Our last house felt like a miserable trap because of all the circumstances surrounding it and we have been extra cautious this time, getting to know the area first.  I'm hoping it all goes smoothly.

You know, the kid that I thought would love the soup thinks it's horrible.  He says it's too cheesy, there shouldn't be bacon (and mind, all that said with the most pitiful whine ever) ?  The rest of us love it.  I'll leave it in the fridge for a day, though, so we can take it for lunches, and then whatever is left over gets measured into roughly quarter-cup molds so it can be frozen and bagged.  It's just the right size to throw a couple in and reheat for lunch when it gets too cold out.

Oh, another frugal win!  I started volunteering at a school on my day off and realized that the kids all have 3 pairs of shoes there: inside slippers, outside boots for the horses and mud kitchen, and tennis shoes for to/fro school and the regular playground.  So yesterday I started using my waste yarn on a pair of fairisle slippers for myself.  I'm half through the first one and should have them both done by my next day there.  They won't look like the picture, lol.  Mine are a cheap acrylic in red, white, and grey.  I figure I'll save the good yarn for when I'm not taking them to a place where children wear mud boots. ?

• Like 1

Here's ours!  Betty Crocker's Loaded Potato Soup.  Dh says it's the closest to a soup at a restaurant he used to work at and it makes quite a bit.  I usually cut it in about half if I don't want a ton of leftovers.  We don't add the ham (it really doesn't need it), and because of the child who doesn't like bacon I let everyone add their own at the end.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 5:25 AM, HomeAgain said:

That's awesome! No moving expenses or effort!

We've been making potato soup in our instant pot for the last year or so. I caramelize some onions and garlic in bacon or butter, add potatoes and chicken broth and spices and cook it, and then sometimes, but not always, I mix in a bit of cream.  We go through all 6 quarts in a sitting....so sometimes I use both instant pots so that I have leftovers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Here's ours!  Betty Crocker's Loaded Potato Soup.  Dh says it's the closest to a soup at a restaurant he used to work at and it makes quite a bit.  I usually cut it in about half if I don't want a ton of leftovers.  We don't add the ham (it really doesn't need it), and because of the child who doesn't like bacon I let everyone add their own at the end.

Thanks for sharing, we'll have to try it. 

On 9/22/2018 at 12:22 PM, hjffkj said:

We had 2 friends over last night to play board games. Since it was so last minute and basically one of our friends invited himself over we decided to do minimal hosting, which meant we didn't buy any extra drinks or food.  We offered what we already had and that was it.  So, we saved money on that.  Thankfully, our friends are the type to expect nothing and really just want to get together to play games. 

Dh and I got preapproved for a mortgage and are starting the serious house search on Monday.  I really love being able to save a butt load of money each month but the commute is awful for dh, we are getting antsy not being able to turn this house into our home and only living with half of our stuff, and just wanting to be settled in our long term home.  This has my anxiety high and I'm starting to worry about finances again.

Congrats, I hope the house search goes well for you.

I did not get as many bookings this week with VIPKID. I had been going up and up. I still need to redo my video. I've got another 2 demos to do for other levels/classes. It sounds lazy but I want to do whatever it takes to get the hours I want with the least amount of effort possible. ? We'll see how the coming weeks shake out and how many classes I end up with. I went ahead and opened up a couple of slots last night, got $20. I've opened some evenings this week because with the Chinese holiday some are saying they are getting bookings so I thought I'd try.

Dh had to replace some truck part, took him forever but at least he got it done without us having to pay for it.

I've still yet to do paperwork, sigh, must do that this week.

Edited by soror

We looked at two houses today, both that we really like. And both are very affordable. We are going back on weds with my parents to see how they feel, since they'll live there within a year or 2. On weds, we're also seeing 2 other houses for the first time. I'm pretty excited about these 2 we haven't seen also. This is getting real.

• Like 2