Menu

Would anyone be willing to share their Counselor excerpt from Coalition or Common App?

FriedClams

Pretty please!! I'm dealing with serious writer's block and it's stressing me out! I don't want to be the reason she doesn't get in!  I did not predict the stress of college applications. This is a lonely spot without a guidance counselor and people with actual experience. ?

We're traditional homeschoolers so I need to write a great piece for my daughter applying to a competitive engineering school. She's very qualified but I know this piece is critical. We're eclectic, she's done DE, traveled a lot...etc....but... Putting it in writing. Yikes. 

I know it's a long shot, but would anyone have any examples of a counselor letter or a statement of educational philosophy? Or any tips/ideas/suggestions?

Feel free to PM me!!! Thank you so much.

• Like 2

If people could pm me as well I would greatly appreciate it! I have 1 or 2 samples, but would love to see a range of them as I dive in.

And yes, this is very stressful for me! My daughter is my fourth, but my first (and only) homeschooler so while I'm not new to the college process, I am totally a newbie to this part of it.

I will pm with people as an exchange?   I’d love a proofreader and a general impression help with it though I think’ I have an ok start.  It might take me a little to get back to people if you pm me.  I’m traveling at the moment.  College visit trip no less.  ?

• Like 3

Feel free to PM me if you'd like a copy of mine.  Not sure it's the greatest, but DS was accepted to all the schools to which he applied, so I guess I didn't hurt his chances.  DS didn't apply to any very selective schools, though, but he was accepted to a very prestigious music program that he thought might be out of reach.

Nancy in NH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Might I suggest to those need to write this letter to try to find a time or event that points to the essence of your child.  Or something that demonstrates integrity & character.  For example we said something to the effect that the transcript tells of the academics & thus able to go further.  However, the transcript doesn't tell of the challenges overcome.  In our case, it was an injury & not being able to compete in a competitive sport.  We told in 3rd person from the point of view of our child, dealing with the injury & then in the senior year how he choose to honor a temporary short term commitment made while still injured that conflicted with competing again because healing came after the short term commitment was made. 

Hopefully my suggestions can get the wheels turning for ideas.   I also googled counselor letters.  While all I found were public school counselors, I was able to glean ideas.  Keep the letter to one page.  Admission counselors see lots of letters.  They get tired of the boring "student did all these activities, community service, etc."  Tell the story of your student/child.  It does not have to be everything thing the student ever did in high school.  We went with the angle that we wanted to communicate our child's integrity & character.  Then the 3 of us brained stormed what would best communicate that.  I wrote first draft, DH edited quite a bit.  That is how we roll.  :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I also found writing the counselor letter to be a challenge.

The approach I took was to compile a list of various character traits. I asked my husband to look it over and decide which characteristics best described our daughter. I did the same myself. Once I had that list of traits, I tried to think of anecdotes and experiences from my daughter's life that showed them. That was the basis of my counselor letter. Some of the traits I ended up ignoring simply because the letter was getting too long.

I also included one negative feature in the letter. I thought this was important in terms of balance. But I also tried to give it a positive spin.

If you'd care to see the list of character traits I compiled, send me a personal message with your email address, and I'll send it along.

Good luck with your writing!

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 3