Menu

algebra and geometry on transcript

daijobu

Dd took algebra in 7th grade and geometry in 8th grade.  I am considering listing that on her transcript, so colleges can see proof that she's taken these classes.   I will not use those classes for calculating GPA.  Do you think colleges want to see those documented?  

I don't think it's important since colleges will see more advanced math taken in the high school years, but I do include those on the transcript because that's what the ps does in our district - algebra in 7th grade and geometry in 8th grade are both on the high school transcript counted as high school credits.  

• Like 3

I would include them as classes taken before 9th grade in case somebody needs to check a box. 

I included high school math before 9th grade and didn't include it in the high school GPA; I wanted to make sure it is documented on the transcript in case the person checking does not understand that a student who has taken algebra 2 and calculus must have taken algebra 1 at some point, too. Never assume people are capable of inferences.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, regentrude said:

I would include them as classes taken before 9th grade in case somebody needs to check a box. 

Do you list the year and/or grade in which the classes were taken or do you list only the name of the class (and course provider if applicable)? I do have to supply an unofficial transcript for dual enrollment for DS13.

For example do I put 

Calculus (Art of Problem Solving) 7th, 2016/17

or just 

Calculus (Art of Problem Solving)

would be adequate

ETA:

Also do I list in chronological or reverse chronological order?

ETA:

sorry for the derail/OT

Edited by Arcadia
Edited for clarity

12 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Do you list the year and/or grade in which the classes were taken or do you list only the name of the class (and course provider if applicable)? I do have to supply an unofficial transcript for dual enrollment for DS13.

For example do I put 

Art of Problem Solving Calculus 7th, 2016/17

or just 

Art of Problem Solving Calculus

ETA:

Speaking as someone who has not made an unofficial or official transcript for any kid and probably won't need too anytime soon, I would just use "Calculus" because most people won't know what Art of Problem Solving Calculus means and it may cause more confusion than needed.

IF the kid took the online class through Art of Problem Solving, I'd list them as the course provider, but other than that it doesn't really matter what high school text a student used for Calculus so I wouldn't include the title of the textbook in the course description, but rather the topics covered in the course.

5 minutes ago, Gil said:

Speaking as someone who has not made an unofficial or official transcript for any kid and probably won't need too anytime soon, I would just use "Calculus" because most people won't know what Art of Problem Solving Calculus means and it may cause more confusion than needed.

I mean to type it as

He does have an AP Calculus BC exam score and took the AoPS online class.

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

For example do I put 

or just 

ETA:

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

I mean to type it as
He does have an AP Calculus BC exam score and took the AoPS online class.

I agree with Gil about not including AoPS in the title of the course, but include the words "with AP Calculus BC exam". The AP scores and any other test scores can all be collected together in one box on the transcript, labeled "test scores". I'd suggest footnoting all of the online course providers/dual enrollment providers. In the case of an outsourced course or dual enrollment, label the course with the same name/numbering as the course provider.

In response to your initial question, below is one way of documenting all of that [I took the liberty of adding other courses and course providers so you can see how a subject-based transcript might look with multiple course providers. (Side note: you can also create a "grid" style transcript with grade/years across the top, and the far left column entries are grouped by subject, which is simultaneously a grade/level-based AND subject-based transcript.)

MATH
course . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . credit . . . grade . . . completion date

Algebra 1* . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.00  . . . . * . . . . . 7th grade / May 2013
Geometry* . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.00 . . . .  * . . . . . 8th grade / May 2014
Algebra 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.00 . . . . A . . . . . 9th grade / May 2015
Pre-Calculus** . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.00 . . . . A . . . . . 10th grade / June 2016
Calculus***, with AP Calculus BC exam . .1.00 . . . . A . . . . . 11th grade / June 2017
MAT170: Intro to Statistics****  . . . . . . 1.00 . . . . A . . . . . 12th grade / May 2018

* = high school level course completed prior to 9th grade; credit earned, but grade not included in GPA
** = course taken through online provider Well-Trained Mind Academy
*** = course taken through online provider Art of Problem Solving
**** = course taken as dual enrollment with XYZ Community College

• Like 6

10 hours ago, daijobu said:

Dd took algebra in 7th grade and geometry in 8th grade.  I am considering listing that on her transcript, so colleges can see proof that she's taken these classes.   I will not use those classes for calculating GPA.  Do you think colleges want to see those documented?  

Fwiw, I didn't list Algebra I on any of my kid's transcripts, but I did list Algebra II and geometry even though they were also taken before high school.  They were included in the high school gpa since that is common practice in my area public schools.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arcadia said:

For example do I put 

or just 

would be adequate

My transcript is organized by subject and year. I listed the pre-9th grade courses in their subject area. Within the subject courses are chronological;  I listed them in the 9th grade column, but.used italic font and had an explanation in the notes section that italic = course taken before 9th grade.

I do not list providers ( othet than university DE) or curricula on the transcript; the course name would just be "algebra 1". Additional info would go in the course descriptions. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I originally included one language and one math in a "taken before 9th grade" section and did not include the grades in GPA calc. In a revamp of the formatting this summer, I ended up taking them off. In our case, I don't think it matters. In some cases (like having geometry shown in California), it might.

• Like 2

My older kids started high school when we lived in Virginia. The public school practice there was to list algebra and above taken before 9th and also to count the grade in GPA.  I went with the same for my kids.

I used a superscript like Lori showed for outside providers.  Most of ours were either a college or something worth highlighting like the Stanford SPICE program.  However I used letter abbreviations rather than asterisks because I thought it was easier to follow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm listing them, but not calculating them in GPA. (Not that it matters, the GPA is the same either way -- weighted or unweighted.  It just happened to be the case with the mix of classes.)

Edited for clarity: The weighted isn't the same as the unweighted. The weighted with or without the classes is the same. The unweighted with or without is also the same.

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, klmama said:

I often see suggestions to show course providers on the transcript.  Is it really necessary?  I certainly see why one would do that in the course descriptions, but why do it on the transcript?   

The first unofficial transcript that I submitted for DS13 was for a Stanford Pre-Collegiate course online application. The application didn’t ask for a course description document, just an unofficial transcript.

Since it was unofficial, I had Course Name (grade taken), AP Score, Course Provider and Course Grade as my column headings and I grouped by subject. 

It was easy to see that all the grades were from outsourced class providers and since Stanford is local to me, they also recognize the local private schools names which he used for summer classes for credit. CTY JHU and AoPS are recognized acronyms locally even though I did spell them in full on his unofficial transcript. 

They didn’t ask for course descriptions when they approved his application so I guess the unofficial transcript I uploaded was sufficient for their evaluation of application.

The next unofficial transcript is going to a local community college for the homeschool dual enrollment application and the procedures on their webpage doesn’t ask for course descriptions.

• Like 3

No reason to put providers on a single-page transcript, but if they add value, surely put them in the school profile or course descriptions.

Re: middle school credits on high school transcript. You will get all kinds of answers. No right or wrong. 

I usually don't because there is plenty of rigor enough with 4 high school credits in each subject. It is assumed those classes have been taken.

Colleges want to see the student they are getting; not the one from 5-6 years before.

Unless required by certain states or you need to show an extra year of a particular subject, I leave them off. Languages might be an exception in my book.

Do what feels right. ?

• Like 2

FWIW, it's not uncommon for students to have completed through geometry before ninth grade, so colleges are accustomed to not seeing that on the transcript. Sometimes there will be a requirement to see an algebra course on the transcript. Not an issue, if Alg 2 is taken in high school, but for the students who do Alg 2 in 8th grade, might not be a bad idea to list it on the transcript.

• Like 1