Menu

Serious Art Middle School

MidnightHM

Hi!  I haven't used this yet, but there have been a lot of positive responses to the art lessons at https://thevirtualinstructor.com/start-here.html .  I think there is a free trial period if you want to try it out.  Also, they have the same classes here https://www.udemy.com/the-secrets-to-drawing/ for $9.99 (I got ours for this price last year so they run these sales all the time).  This is for his drawing class, but if you scroll down, you will see other classes by the same person.

Hope this helps :-).

I have a gifted 8th grader who is planning to major in studio art.  (Not trying to brag, but just so you know where we're coming from.  I've been told to warn people before posting.)

So, none of the homeschool art curricula was really enough.  I think at one point, we tried Artistic Pursuits...didn't seem to go in depth enough, but that was actually a good program for kids who wanted to start art (tried to talk my other kids into using it).  She has found a lot of value in art instruction books written for adults that cover very specific topics....you know, like, a book about polymer clay...or a book on drawing faces.  She's always gotten a lot more out of stuff like that than curriculum. 

She went through a phase a few years ago where she was learning some stuff from art instruction Youtube videos.

Make sure you keep plenty of supplies around.  We have a rolling cart and a bookcase full of art supplies.  This year, we threw in the towel and set up a table just for her to work on her art.  It's a cluttery eye-sore.  I cringe when I walk past it.  She also has one of those big bags to transport her art to and from classes (sounds cheesy, but the bag helped a lot).  

We ended up paying for her to meet with an actual art teacher every other week.  This is a bit of a financial strain on us and I think we were the first family that this lady has ever done this for.  The teacher works with her for about an hour in a classroom at the art school, looks at her projects/artwork and then assigns her homework.  She'll assign her real artists to research, also.  This has - by far - been the absolute best thing we have ever done for dd13.  And art classes on their own weren't enough (she did those for a couple of years), but working one-on-one with a teacher has been absolutely awesome.  I think this is our 3rd year doing this.

Also, next year (when she's in 7th grade) look into the Scholastic Art & Writing competition.  DD13 competed in it last year as a 7th grader.  Huge learning experience.  She didn't win anything but an Honorable Mention, but you get to see all the other kids' artwork online!  Awesome.  And her teacher had never had a student enter than contest before, so she was excited.  lol. It's a very famous contest.  They've had some famous alumni like Andy Warhol and Truman Capote...Robert Redford.  You submit everything online (super easy).  The deadline pops up before Christmas sometime, so look into that next year.  It was fun looking through all the kids' artwork and watching the mini-films the kids made.    

Sorry for rambling.  Hope something out of there helped! 

Edited by Evanthe
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Evanthe said:

I have a gifted 8th grader who is planning to major in studio art.  (Not trying to brag, but just so you know where we're coming from.  I've been told to warn people before posting.)

So, none of the homeschool art curricula was really enough.  I think at one point, we tried Artistic Pursuits...didn't seem to go in depth enough, but that was actually a good program for kids who wanted to start art (tried to talk my other kids into using it).  She has found a lot of value in art instruction books written for adults that cover very specific topics....you know, like, a book about polymer clay...or a book on drawing faces.  She's always gotten a lot more out of stuff like that than curriculum. 

She went through a phase a few years ago where she was learning some stuff from art instruction Youtube videos.

Make sure you keep plenty of supplies around.  We have a rolling cart and a bookcase full of art supplies.  This year, we threw in the towel and set up a table just for her to work on her art.  It's a cluttery eye-sore.  I cringe when I walk past it.  She also has one of those big bags to transport her art to and from classes (sounds cheesy, but the bag helped a lot).  

We ended up paying for her to meet with an actual art teacher every other week.  This is a bit of a financial strain on us and I think we were the first family that this lady has ever done this for.  The teacher works with her for about an hour in a classroom at the art school, looks at her projects/artwork and then assigns her homework.  She'll assign her real artists to research, also.  This has - by far - been the absolute best thing we have ever done for dd13.  And art classes on their own weren't enough (she did those for a couple of years), but working one-on-one with a teacher has been absolutely awesome.  I think this is our 3rd year doing this.

Also, next year (when she's in 7th grade) look into the Scholastic Art & Writing competition.  DD13 competed in it last year as a 7th grader.  Huge learning experience.  She didn't win anything but an Honorable Mention, but you get to see all the other kids' artwork online!  Awesome.  And her teacher had never had a student enter than contest before, so she was excited.  lol. It's a very famous contest.  They've had some famous alumni like Andy Warhol and Truman Capote...Robert Redford.  You submit everything online (super easy).  The deadline pops up before Christmas sometime, so look into that next year.  It was fun looking through all the kids' artwork and watching the mini-films the kids made.    

Sorry for rambling.  Hope something out of there helped! 

This was very helpful. Thank you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A friend taught my kids art (I taught gets science) and she based drawing lessons on "Drawing From the Right Side of the Brain."

It teaches readers (or is geared towards adults) to draw what they see versus instructions like "now draw a circle, then put a line here."

Super, super, super valuable.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, carrierocha said:

It teaches readers (or is geared towards adults) to draw what they see versus instructions like "now draw a circle, then put a line here."

Super, super, super valuable.

This is how my daughter was taught.  

My son just pursued things on his own.  He had never taken an art class, ever.  He watched YouTube videos of interest, read online what he wanted to find out about, and just did it all himself.  We tried to find some art classes, but none of them were suitable for what he needed, or he was already too advanced.

BTW:  He is currently in art school, with a sizable scholarship for his grades and portfolio.

• Like 1

We are enjoying Masterpiece Art Society. We pay a monthly fee ($20) to access everything on their site. You can come and go at any time without any kind of pressure. You might look at their art school portion it includes instruction on drawing, watercolor, acrylics, and pastels. Alisa Gratehouse (homeschool mom and owner) is adding art sessions all the time. I heard about it from another homeschool mom and she said it was very similar to what her child was getting in private art lessons.  We are able to have every child in our house working on art every month for a relatively low price. It has been great for us, but I don't know if that is what you are looking for.  https://masterpiecesociety.com/masterpiece-society-studio/

• Like 1