Menu

The Camping Teachers Lounge 8-29-2018

scrapbookbuzz

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to camping we go!

Who camps? Here: sometimes. Looking forward to this weekend!

RV or tent? Here: tent. it's cheaper!

How many days do you take to prep? Here: this round, 2. Today and tomorrow. Friday is dd's bday, then Sat 3 of the 4 of us are off to camp!

Talk to me!

• Like 2

Good afternoon, Scrap!

I can't contribute to the lounge today in terms of conversation, but I did make chicken salad for lunch if anyone wants some. 

We've never gone camping. We don't own the stuff for it, and I've never wanted to invest the money if we wouldn't like it. 

• Like 1

Hi, Scrap!

We love camping here.  Where are you headed? Somewhere cool and shady, I hope!  The heat's even getting us here - the first day of school has been cancelled because it's too hot and the schools don't have AC.
But, back to camping..I prefer tent/backpacking, but dh can't go that minimalist so we have a nice large tent, cots, and all the extras to go along with it. ? It doesn't take me too long to prepare at this point: we keep a plastic chest o'drawers in the garage for all the small items like the cookstove, games, mallet, lanterns...and then a larger shelf for the tent, cots, and bin of sleeping bags.  It's pretty easy to pack and go.  The hard part is always deciding what to eat.  ?  Dh and I (again) have differences on that front.  I prefer a rotating menu that works through a small set of ingredients so we don't take too much trash.  Dh prefers a non/minimalist cooking approach (Pop-tarts, prepackaged sandwiches and chips, hot dogs over the fire).  This time we did my style, next time we'll do his.

• Like 1

We camp some. Tents, for sure. Never in the summer because it is too hot. Both of our kids do scouts, so we do some family camping with those groups, then an occasional trip on our own. I need a tall enough tent to stand up straight in and a cot. We do simple cooking with not much processed food.  We usually do some relaxed hiking/nature walks and playing in the water, if possible. 

Ds is learning to fish, despite the fact that we don't have any fishermen in our family to learn from! He always brings his fishing gear. He will be a Boy Scout next year and need some decent backpacking equipment of his own. 

We camp a fair bit. Always tents. I've never understood RV's or car camping. For us, camping or backpacking is a means to get to places we couldn't otherwise experience.

DS11 had 25 days of tent camping this summer. 4 day Boundary Waters canoe trip with the Scouts; 3 day mountain biking family trip; 14 days summer camp w/ 100 mile bike trip. 4 day family Boundary Waters canoe trip.

DS9 had 8 days. The family mountain biking and canoe trips and a night of urban camping at a 24hr road race where he rode 80 miles.

I had 16 days. The 4 day scout BWCA trip. 3 days MBing. 4 days backpacking with DW in the Whites in NH. A day at camp pickup. The family BWCA trip.

DW had 12 days. The MB trip. NH backpacking. The urban bike race. The family canoe trip.

This fall, DS9 is thrilled to be a Webelos and can join the Scouts on some outings and is going to cross over at 10 1/2yo next spring. So at least they boys and I will be on the September and October scout camping trips. We have a 5 day weekend for DS9s fall break which we will probably spend some where in the southwest. In early November, we have a 4 day weekend for DS9s school end of quarter. We will use that for local mountain bike camping, weather permitting. 

In terms of planning, we tend pretty far towards the throw it together at the last minute end of things. For our family BWCA trip last week, I booked a permit and canoe rentals the Thursday before our Tuesday departure. No permit lottery in February for us. This meant our choices were severely constrained but we still did cool stuff. My original plan was to do river canoeing but water levels were too low. If you are flexible, I've found last minute planning to be fine.

We camp for most of our vacations.  Dh has been camping his whole life so we have a ton of supplies (some of which are antiques!).  I'm pretty sure we need to get a new tent before we go again since our last trip was "the disaster".   That's what the kids call it when we were camping by a lake in North Carolina and we had a bad storm and our tent was basically lifted into the air, pulled out stakes and collapsed on us in the middle of the night.  And we still stayed and went to our second campground to finish up the trip.

I guess that answers your second question - we tent camp.  We've considered a pop-up but it seems like something always comes up that needs the money more.

About a week to plan the first trip of the year, which includes going through all the bins of supplies, sorting, organizing, washing towels, washing sleeping bags, planning meals, pre-cooking food, and packing up the car.

Subsequent trips the same year, especially if they are close together, are quicker to pack for.  Maybe 2-3 days.

About another week when we get home doing all the laundry and packing stuff back into the garage.

We camp. We have a popup camper that we renovated this year. We camp more as a means to an end than for the experience. We usually don't do camp fires and do little cooking. We have a fire pit at home for that and just don't want to deal with it when we're away.

It's so much cheaper for long stays. We like our creature comforts enough. A cushy bed and climate control are important for us. We can fudge the rest. Our most recent trip was a 9 day roadtrip to Yellowstone and it went wonderfully. We maybe have one more in us this year, but I'm already planning some for next year. 

I feel like prep time has gone way down since we got the popup. I store a lot of stuff permanently in there, so packing is just clothes and sleeping bags/pillows. Plus fill the propane tank. I've figured our out several meals that take little to no refrigeration and clean up so we just pick from those. 

Eta: DD10 has a National Parks lifetime Access Pass, which qualifies us for 1/2 off camping on almost all national lands and free admission to all national parks. The Yellowstone trip was $10/night and that included electric hookups. With that we also get half off state park camping in our state on weekdays. With dh working 7 on/7 off and homeschooling, we're able to travel all over the country in our popup for almost the cost of gas. 

I've always had a travel bug and love planning trips and getting away. I learned how to travel inexpensively while dh was in med school and residency, so we've just kept it up. The popup was bought with money from my inheritance when my dad died last year that he wanted me to use "to make memories." 

This picture is one I love. Just a normal chaotic morning in Scamper the Camper. 

FB_IMG_1535570208178.jpg

Edited by MeaganS
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, scrapbookbuzz said:

We camp about 6 times a year. 

Tent! 

I used to take forever to prep. I do actually like making lists and prepping. Now I plan my meals and then place my WalMart pickup order the night before, do laundry that night. In the morning I throw the clean clothes in a suitcase and pack the truck. It's like 3 hours one night and 2 hours the next morning. I pick up my groceries on the way out of town.

I think we have a girl scout camping trip at the beach the third week of September.

Edited by Sk8ermaiden
  • Like 1