Menu

History Recommendations for 7th Grader

I am new to this forum, and am making my first request for suggestions.  I am hitting a brick wall on history.  It has not been a subject that gets done in our household, probably because I am not a history buff!  Last year my DD used Notgrass America the Beautiful and said she really liked it.  I thought it was a lovely textbook, but wasn't too keen on all the biblical references. Since she enjoyed Notgrass, I am considering Uncle Sam and You.  In previous years we did Story of the World Volume I, and History Odyssey Ancients.  I really like the History Odyssey products, but she wasn't crazy about it.  I have floundered in this department and really want to get on track and stick with it.  Where do I begin?  I wanted to follow the WTM sequence but lost my way.  At this point I do not care whether the curriculum is secular or not.  I just want one that gets the job done!

Thank you for your help!

What do you want from the history study?  Read a textbook chapter, answer a few questions and move on?  Hands-on projects?  Supplemental readings? Video instruction?

World history:

• You tried Story of the World vol. I, was there a particular reason you did not move on to the other volumes?
  • K-12's Human Odyssey books are readily available on the used market. 
  • Bookshark (secular version of Sonlight), if you want a plan to follow and she likes reading novels.

U.S history:

• A History of U.S. - 10 volume set, or 4 volume condensed version.  
  • America the Story of US - History Channel mini-series, teacher manual and study guides are available.

Thematic:

• History of Science - 3 volumes

Move on to the Middle Ages. Perhaps Notgrass has something for that time period, or you could give History Odyssey another try.
We used SOTW vol 2 along with titles from Sonlight's booklist for that time period. For one child we added IEW's Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons; for another, selections from K-12's Human Odyssey.

How about:
- something you can schedule and DD works mostly independently
- is a textbook (which worked well for both you and DD last year)
- and picks back up with the chronological studies that you wanted to accomplish

World History: Medieval to Early Modern Times (Holt California Social Studies) -- for gr. 6-8, secular
student workbook and textbook -- see sample pages from every chapter

This would cover both your History AND Geography. There are 17 chapters (approx 500 pages), so you could schedule 1 chapter (14 pages) per 2 weeks to spread it out over the school year. You could schedule reading of 3-4 pages/day + 1 workbook page for 4 days/week, and day 5 could be for any extras that you and/or DD would like. Ideas:
- movie that fits the period
- a hands-on project or do a kit
- visit a museum
- read a nonfiction library book on a topic of DD's interest from the text
- reading a historical novel that goes with the time period
- a creative writing go-along (if your DD enjoys creative writing)
- make a food, make a costume, listen to traditional music from the time/place in the textbook
- etc...

In looking at the sample pages, it looks like you could possibly skip the workbook (unless that is better for keeping you both on track), and just have her answer 1 question of her choice at the end of each reading passage, and then do 1 assessment assignment of her choice at the end of each section.

Edited by Lori D.

9 hours ago, Lori D. said:

How about:
- something you can schedule and DD works mostly independently
- is a textbook (which worked well for both you and DD last year)
- and picks back up with the chronological studies that you wanted to accomplish

World History: Medieval to Early Modern Times (Holt California Social Studies) -- for gr. 6-8, secular
student workbook and textbook -- see sample pages from every chapter

This would cover both your History AND Geography. There are 17 chapters (approx 500 pages), so you could schedule 1 chapter (14 pages) per 2 weeks to spread it out over the school year. You could schedule reading of 3-4 pages/day + 1 workbook page for 4 days/week, and day 5 could be for any extras that you and/or DD would like. Ideas:
- movie that fits the period
- a hands-on project or do a kit
- visit a museum
- read a nonfiction library book on a topic of DD's interest from the text
- reading a historical novel that goes with the time period
- a creative writing go-along (if your DD enjoys creative writing)
- make a food, make a costume, listen to traditional music from the time/place in the textbook
- etc...

In looking at the sample pages, it looks like you could possibly skip the workbook (unless that is better for keeping you both on track), and just have her answer 1 question of her choice at the end of each reading passage, and then do 1 assessment assignment of her choice at the end of each section.

Lori, is there a similar set up (workbook and tex) for Ancients?

1 hour ago, plain jane said:

Lori, is there a similar set up (workbook and tex) for Ancients?

Yes, it appears so: textbook and and interactive reader and study guide (which *sounds* like it would be a workbook -- not 100% sure).

Here is the same teacher's sample pages of the text for the Ancient Civilizations, in case you wanted to see inside the textbook.

20 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Yes, it appears so: textbook and and interactive reader and study guide (which *sounds* like it would be a workbook -- not 100% sure).

Here is the same teacher's sample pages of the text for the Ancient Civilizations, in case you wanted to see inside the textbook.

Lori, do you by chance have any thoughts on how this would compare to K12's Human Odyssey?  If you had to choose one over the other, which would you go with and why?  Sorry, hope that isn't asking too much.  I'm looking for a non history loving 12yo boy.

24 minutes ago, plain jane said:

Lori, do you by chance have any thoughts on how this would compare to K12's Human Odyssey?  If you had to choose one over the other, which would you go with and why?  Sorry, hope that isn't asking too much.  I'm looking for a non history loving 12yo boy.

So sorry, I have not used either program, nor done more than very rapidly skim through the table of contents to get an idea of what topics are covered, so I'm no help. : (

You might try having your DS read 4-5 pages from a chapter from the link in my post above for the Holt CA Social Studies textbook. And then have him compare by reading the sample pages available at Christian Book (about 4 pages of the 10 pages of the sample are actually pages out of a chapter).